• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Soreness after first day in the saddle...

katmandew

Wondering if anyone else experienced this. Mid 40's first day hunting out of saddle, i sat for about 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon, with lunch break in between. I was sore immediately after worsening into the night. A bit better this morning but I can tell i used muscles i havent used in a while. Curious if this normal for first time saddle hunters? I felt fatigue toward the end of each sit as well. Even with adjusting it, the pressure points took their toll. I have a Tethrd Phantom and was wondering comfort wise, if i shouldn't have went with Cruzr XC. All in all, I enjoyed the saddle, and I'm sure soreness is probably temporary due to age and having to use muscles that I dont normally use. Wondering tho if I should try a cruzr out and see if it makes a difference. Curious if anyone that has hunted out of both have found a difference in comfort after long sits?

Reactions: LBC
What is sore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kinda all over. hips, lower back, legs, shoulders. its not bad, just like I went out at 45 yr old and played basketball for about 3 hours with a bunch of 20 year olds. LoL... I laugh, cause I've done that before.

I always experienced back pain from traditional style saddles. I can hike around all summer with a lot of weight on my back for my job but as soon as the saddle came out, I was toast no matter how many sits per season. Hopefully its just from having not used those muscles like you said. Monitor the back pain part though. You dont want to perm strain something like I did

I have a bulge at L5-L6 (one of the lucky few with an extra one) and was worried about the same thing. Ended up with a Method 2 since the upper panel can be set almost like a back belt.

After 24 hours over the last two weekends, I’m surprised I’m not sore and was actually comfortable after 6+ hour sits.

It always takes me a few sits to get used to it. I was sore last weekend (opener) but sat for 20 hours this weekend and feel fine. Im a 2 panel believer fwiw.

Anytime you do something physical you haven't done ever or in a while you are sore from using muscles that normally don't get used. When you were 20 you just got over it quicker. Embrace the suck and get back in the saddle again.

Wondering if anyone else experienced this. Mid 40's first day hunting out of saddle, i sat for about 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the afternoon, with lunch break in between. I was sore immediately after worsening into the night. A bit better this morning but I can tell i used muscles i havent used in a while. Curious if this normal for first time saddle hunters? I felt fatigue toward the end of each sit as well. Even with adjusting it, the pressure points took their toll. I have a Tethrd Phantom and was wondering comfort wise, if i shouldn't have went with Cruzr XC. All in all, I enjoyed the saddle, and I'm sure soreness is probably temporary due to age and having to use muscles that I dont normally use. Wondering tho if I should try a cruzr out and see if it makes a difference. Curious if anyone that has hunted out of both have found a difference in comfort after long sits?
To answer your question, I’ve hunted out of the phantom and XC a good bit and I’d take the XC everyday of the week. The phantom is comfortable for short 2-3 hour sits, but I felt myself getting sore like you on the longer sits and multiple days in a row hunting. Switched to the XC and never had that problem again.

To answer your question, I’ve hunted out of the phantom and XC a good bit and I’d take the XC everyday of the week. The phantom is comfortable for short 2-3 hour sits, but I felt myself getting sore like you on the longer sits and multiple days in a row hunting. Switched to the XC and never had that problem again.

There is such a thing as "saddle shape", you WILL need to get used to it. However, I have a Phantom and the XC, and I no longer hunt from the Phantom...

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree.
No platform required, only a ROS, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, no tired legs from leaning as you can sit all day, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Same here. I am sore and didn't even make it in the woods yet, LOL. I have been practicing in the back yard going up and down and shooting. I remember why I hated loc-on's so much. I don't like setting sticks. I am going to give it a full season. If I don't get the hang of it well enough I am going to try SRT. I like the Idea of pre sets and no sticks. My saddle seems comfortable, but I have never sat for more than a couple hours in it. I bought the Overwatch Outdoors Transformer. I did use it to trim a tree this weekend. It saved me from having to rent a lift!

Same here. I am sore and didn't even make it in the woods yet, LOL. I have been practicing in the back yard going up and down and shooting. I remember why I hated loc-on's so much. I don't like setting sticks. I am going to give it a full season. If I don't get the hang of it well enough I am going to try SRT. I like the Idea of pre sets and no sticks. My saddle seems comfortable, but I have never sat for more than a couple hours in it. I bought the Overwatch Outdoors Transformer. I did use it to trim a tree this weekend. It saved me from having to rent a lift!

I agree with the post from above. With the JX3 Hybrid there is no saddle shape to get in. It is comfortable from day one. As far as climbing goes give the wild edge steps a try. I like them. I think they are quick and they are very light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Soreness lasted only a couple of days. I guess I’ll give it while before I change anything. Sorta wish I had went with the xc tho.

Soreness lasted only a couple of days. I guess I’ll give it while before I change anything. Sorta wish I had went with the xc tho.

It took me almost 2 weeks to find my comfort in the Phantom, so keep making small adjustments and trying them. I personally wear my Phantom just below my belt line, with a fully extended bridge, a low tether, and (I think) the second from top comfort channel (although all of this is subjective). The Cruzr was just comfortable, I didn't have to hunt for it lol.

I have a bulge at L5-L6 (one of the lucky few with an extra one) and was worried about the same thing. Ended up with a Method 2 since the upper panel can be set almost like a back belt.

After 24 hours over the last two weekends, I’m surprised I’m not sore and was actually comfortable after 6+ hour sits.

Have bad back amongst other things, was a steel worker n I'm 52 w some steel in myself. Saddle is new to me, just got my cruzr Archon yesterday and I'm sure I will b fine cuz u just have to be lol. But was between the Method 2 and it. Might end up tryin one anyway.

I too am new at this, and after my first 2 sits over an hour, my calves felt like they were bulging……the first sit was on a mini platform by itself I might add. I am still a clutz going up, but once I get in and settled I am very comfortable in my Hawk Helium saddle. Few people can sit in the same position for hours on end without slight adjustments. Same with the saddle, except it gives so many position options versus a bench seat.
This am was my last chance at my favorite WMA so I sat in my leaner with the Xbow in hopes of getting there more stealthy. After an hour or less, I was wishing I was in my saddle! I’m hoping the addition of cam cleats will aid in my 1 stick climbing. I’ve been trying to slide my stick up the tree without disengaging the strap. BTW I’m in my 50’s but I don’t think I’ll ever sit in my leaners ever again, mainly due to comfort level……sitting in a saddle is the only way to go!

As a matter of fact, I thought about starting a new thread about how comfortable a saddle is versus bench style leaners. Might have to get a millennium seat on the leaners or sell them.
Yes, I have the Hawk Helium and it is very comfortable. I’m 5’10” 200# in decent shape. The hawk fits me well so I might have lucked out on that part.

Spent my first full weekend in the saddle. I am definitely sore. I think more so from the hiking and setting up/taking down my setup than the saddle itself. (4 hawk sticks with aiders + hawk platform + 3 tree hopper steps) I did fidget a lot trying to find my comfort zone. After 3 hours it really starts to feel uncomfortable on my hips, and I found myself making lots of adjustments. None of them lasted very long before new discomfort settled in. I didn't have any leg fatigue. This saddle stuff is not as comfortable as billed. I guess the guys that hype up the comfort only hunted lock-on and ladder stands with fixed seats. The saddle comfort is better than a lock on or ladder, but no where near as comfortable as a good climber. I am sure as my body gets used to it the comfort will increase.

I hunted 3 different trees and walked about 4 miles each day according to my phone. I would have never done that with a climber on my back the whole time. I hunted one tree that would not have been suitable for a climber. I sat about 15 hours total and saw 4 deer. I will continue hunting in this thing. The ability to get into almost any tree is the reason for me buying it. I am in love with the portability. Overall it was a positive experience.

Spent my first full weekend in the saddle. I am definitely sore. I think more so from the hiking and setting up/taking down my setup than the saddle itself. (4 hawk sticks with aiders + hawk platform + 3 tree hopper steps) I did fidget a lot trying to find my comfort zone. After 3 hours it really starts to feel uncomfortable on my hips, and I found myself making lots of adjustments. None of them lasted very long before new discomfort settled in. I didn't have any leg fatigue. This saddle stuff is not as comfortable as billed. I guess the guys that hype up the comfort only hunted lock-on and ladder stands with fixed seats. The saddle comfort is better than a lock on or ladder, but no where near as comfortable as a good climber. I am sure as my body gets used to it the comfort will increase.

I hunted 3 different trees and walked about 4 miles each day according to my phone. I would have never done that with a climber on my back the whole time. I hunted one tree that would not have been suitable for a climber. I sat about 15 hours total and saw 4 deer. I will continue hunting in this thing. The ability to get into almost any tree is the reason for me buying it. I am in love with the portability. Overall it was a positive experience.

See post #10............

I use a Hawk and the game changer for me is the back strap. Without it I will be uncomfortable within a half hour. When I have the back support/strap on, I’m falling asleep within the same time frame……I looked back and didn’t see anyone mention it, but it is a must for comfort.

Back