• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SOS URGENT: The birds are in the tree

BackSpasm

SH Member
I just followed three Toms through the timber and watched exactly where they roosted. It’s mature timber and has moderate visibility where they roosted. They are about 75 yards from a field which has a small clear area and the rest is grown up tall. The trees they are in are on a hillside that leads to a creek bottom, about 500 yards down that creek the neighbor has a corn feeder in their yard

What should I do? Sneak in timber in the dark under them with a hen decoy? Set up 75 yards away in the field edge and call? Get in the drainage below them in case they fly down off the hill to the bottom to go hit the feeder? Sunrise is in about 10 hours so I need some input asap

I’d creep in undetected and set up within 100yards if possible. You could set up near the field, or the bottom. Take your best guess where you think they’ll be. A hen decoy won’t hurt by any means. Start with some soft tree yelps and build from there if need be. If they get henned up, stay with them, eventually they’ll break apart and the Tom’s will be on the prowl. Goodluck!

From my experience they are more likely to stay in the timber early on before making it to the fields later in the morning so I would setup within 50 yards of the roost tree way before first light. Kill one 5 steps after he hits the ground!

Well, I got 50 yards from them and watched a gobbler posture on his limb beard swinging in the breeze for at least 30 minutes after it got light. Then they flew down to the creek bottom below me and made a bee line for the neighbors feeder. Only got two gobbles out of them with some very quiet purrs and clucks. They had corn on the mind I guess… thanks for the advice fellas, waiting for the sun to come out and then I’ll go back out and see if I can get one of them fired up

I ended up killing this bird today not 30 yards from the same roost tree I was asking about last week, Worked him for over an hour back and forth in the woods. Very possibly the same gobbler! He had another subdominant male with him. Ended up shooting him in heavy cover at 7 yards. Thanks for all the advice!

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 12.03.57 AM.png

I ended up killing this bird today not 30 yards from the same roost tree I was asking about last week, Worked him for over an hour back and forth in the woods. Very possibly the same gobbler! He had another subdominant male with him. Ended up shooting him in heavy cover at 7 yards. Thanks for all the advice!

View attachment 65563

Everything looks in great shape for a mount. Congrats!

Back