• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sous-vide heart?

cville_bowhunter

Last night, I cooked deer heart for the first time ever. It turned out alright, but I know I can do a better job. I brined it for maybe nine hours, then cooked it on the grill with veggies to make fajitas. I prepped the heart the "right" way by making cuts so that it rolls out into a longer, uniform piece of meat. I found it difficult to cook it evenly throughout––the thicker side was perfectly rare, the thin side a little too close to well-done for my liking.

I don't shoot enough deer to have a pile of hearts to experiment with, but it would still be fun to get this right. I think a sous-vide might be the right answer here.

Has anyone ever done a deer heart sous-vide style? If so, how did it turn out?

Thanks

I usually boil mine which is basically a poor man's sous-vide. After it's cooked I like to let it cool, slice thin and eat on a sammich with cheese and ketchup. Probably get a bunch more flavor and moisture with the sous-vide.

I may save the heart from the next one I get and try something like this. Also, if you know the local processor, they might just give you hearts if you ask. They are probably tossing them along with the rest of the organs when they dress out deer.

I didn’t save the one from the buck I shot with crossbow but look at the broadhead devastation.

Attachments

• D599B385-1B28-445E-8820-F970EEAE23DC.jpeg
    D599B385-1B28-445E-8820-F970EEAE23DC.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 95BC5CA4-18BF-451C-BADB-83D064A21E6C.jpeg
    95BC5CA4-18BF-451C-BADB-83D064A21E6C.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 36
I’ve never done heart sous vide but if I have time to kill I’ll grill over the smoker fire or a campfire. The 275-325 range is my sweet spot for temp.

Usually I cook heart just like a stupid-lean steak on grill or skillet. Cut into 1/3-1/2” thick strips or medallions. Plenty of salt and pepper plus whatever seasonings you like, you can also coat in seasoned flour, then get a skillet ripping hot with plenty of oil, butter, both, or crisco if you one-a them kinda gangstas. I personally think butter and oil are the combo, especially for venison. Canola oil or a light olive oil are my favorite. If I smoke or grill, I use 100% canola spray or butter. Sear the crap outta the meat so every edge is golden brown and kinda resembles the finish on a cooked piece of bacon, then serve however you like or with whatever sides. You could also do this in the air fryer, turns out well. I cook heart to 140+, so I’m not concerned about even temp throughout necessarily, more about just getting to about medium/mid-well. Just what I prefer.

Bonus points for Herb usage in the oil (thyme is my favorite Venison herb and sage is right there with it, but if I can get rosemary and oregano I’m in heaven) or tying sprigs together and using the twig packet as a basting brush, especially on the smoker. If you did choose an immersion circulator, throw herbs and orange wedges in the bag or marinade.

My old-school Italian dad keeps telling me to make scallopini with heart, but again, I don’t shoot enough deer. Sometimes you can buy/attain beef, chicken, Turkey, pork hearts from butcher or grocery aisle. I used to get them for $1/lb.

Sorry, I think I inadvertently hijacked this thread, but kudos to OP cuz I was intrigued as hell.

As you were…

Last night, I cooked deer heart for the first time ever. It turned out alright, but I know I can do a better job. I brined it for maybe nine hours, then cooked it on the grill with veggies to make fajitas. I prepped the heart the "right" way by making cuts so that it rolls out into a longer, uniform piece of meat. I found it difficult to cook it evenly throughout––the thicker side was perfectly rare, the thin side a little too close to well-done for my liking.

I don't shoot enough deer to have a pile of hearts to experiment with, but it would still be fun to get this right. I think a sous-vide might be the right answer here.

Thanks
Heart is the best part, i usually just cook it in a sauce or gravy.

Haven’t tried the sous vide but that’s a good idea. This is mine from last week. Usually just cut into fairly even slices. Then griddle in butter and minced garlic. Top it at the end with a small amount of kinder’s butcher blend seasoning. My family finishes it and I’m lucky to get 2 pieces normally.

Attachments

• 6F3A6761-5352-484D-8798-CE1E7DDFE792.jpeg
    6F3A6761-5352-484D-8798-CE1E7DDFE792.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 31
I may save the heart from the next one I get and try something like this. Also, if you know the local processor, they might just give you hearts if you ask. They are probably tossing them along with the rest of the organs when they dress out deer.
People are dropping deer off at the processor with organs still in it??

Here's a good way to clean and prep the heart, might help with any uneven cooking issues described above.

This is a great way to prep the heart. I put the thicker pieces on first and the thinner ones on after.

I cook mine like this in a cast iron skillet with a whiskey butter reduction however I use a different rub.

People are dropping deer off at the processor with organs still in it??
I do not do it however some people will leave the heart and lungs in the body cavity. In NH You have to check your deer in at a registration station and they get weighed, so people will leave the heart and lungs so their deer will weigh more for bragging rights.

Thanks
I love using the sous vide. Never tried a heart though. next deer im gonna do it!

I never would have thought. I always get everything out ASAP to get it clean and cooling quickly.
I can’t find a local butcher who does it anymore, and I prefer o do it myself. It’s nice if you’re worried about coyotes or you’re on a time crunch other than getting carcass cooled quickly.

Don't know why I haven't thought of that. I made heart for the first time Monday night and liked it a lot. Sous vide 120° for an hour or so ought to be perfect.

Deer heart is Awesome. I just slice it in 1/4" strips starting at the tip and working my way up. I remove all the arteries and passages. Then hit it with some season-all and throw it in a pan with butter and onions, sometimes I'll start with some canned potatoes and let them cook down first. Nothing crazy just easy and delicious. Great meal to make out at deer camp.

Back