• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

South Dakota farmland (east river)

ThereWillBeSpuds

So I have permission to hunt this land in SD. There are some trees around the house and barn complex (pictured below) that my brother in law says he sees deer coming in and out of in the fall. Im not married to the saddle for this hunt, my BIL also has a ground blind and I could also go to the ground. A crazy part of me wants to hunt off the combine while he is combining corn. Lol.

Anyway its about 6k acres under crop and an aditional 8 or 9k of pasture for cattle. Not really any trees outside the house complex. They grow corn, millet, sunflowers, oats, wheat and soybeans. I am gonna go out later and walk the property, look for shed antlers, etc. My thought would be to setup on the edge of the trees northwest of the cattle pens if there are still standing crops in those adjacent fields.

Stangely he said he mostly noticed the deer moving into the trees at dusk and out at dawn which seems backwards to me, but my thought was maybe that they are actually bedding down in the crops and moving through the woods to get to water in the evenings.

I am going to try to get up there before he gets all the crops in because he says once the crops are gone the deer tend to bunch up into huge herds on whatever farms failed to get their crops in before the conditions got too bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is just a small section of the farm but the rest of it is treeless and satellite images dont really tell you anything because the crops change from year to year.

I feel like I should focus on the area under crop because I dont much fancy being in a ground blind in pasture where there are hundreds of cattle roaming around and I am unsure how much attraction the pasture would have to deer anyway.
975b73ddee9e43a8ba4b97140e7d907b.jpg

I would love to have 6k acres of cropland to hunt :). We have deer bed down in the crops all the time in South GA. They like it when cotton gets high where I hunt.

So I am out on the property now. Winds gusting around 40mph, though in the trees its much stiller. Found a branch missing a bunch of bark, local said it could be other wildlife gnawing on the bark for lack of food, dunno. Real pretty out here. Found another hunters stand but it wasnt news to the property owner. Apparently the guy that hung it didnt show up last year to hunt. I kinda liked his spot as it was on the edge of a fairly open corridor back into the woods.

My brother in law says the deer pretty much clear out in the beginning of winter so I didnt see tracks or anything.20200315_142442.jpg20200315_142440.jpg20200315_141601.jpg20200315_141529.jpg20200315_141051.jpg20200315_140522.jpg20200315_135513.jpg

Back