• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Southeast guys, tropical systems?

ThereWillBeSpuds

Hey yall, Im based in central SC, its my first year hunting seriously and I am wondering if any of yall have wisdom to share on the effect of tropical storms and hurricanes on deer movement. Obviously Im not planning on climbing a tree in huricane force winds, but does the pressure change before or after have a marked change in deer behavior?

Does a few days of heavy rain keep deer movement down and then they get moving more than normal when it lets up?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I’ve never noticed enough of a difference to matter before the storm. Afterward they are wired and skittish but they still gotta eat. Depend on what’s going on in the woods the ground may be covered with acorns, water levels may be high, and downed trees may have deer using a different trail than you expected.

Kinda does the same thing to deer it does to people. Lots of activity before, non during, and lots after.

Yup in hawaii we see movement before and after.... not much during... i think they can sense the atmospheric pressure change so they move around and eat or get what they need before hunkering down because they might not get a chance for a couple days if the low pressure system sticks around. Once they sense higher pressure they start moving again as they know things are going back to normal. i feel like this goes for all animals not just deer...

Deer will always move before and after a system, but especially after. They will move during rain but obviously not during a squall. In places where it snows and such they will move especially after a system blows through

Deer will always move before and after a system, but especially after. They will move during rain but obviously not during a squall. In places where it snows and such they will move especially after a system blows through
I've seen deer on the move feeding during a downpour before. They gotta eat.

I mean, I would 100% draw on an alligator from my saddle.

I hunted a NWR that was covered up in deer back in ‘97, I believe it was, and had a gator nab a raccoon about 40yds away from me. Scared the bejesus out of men, peace and quiet one moment then all hell breaking loose the next

There were so many deer there that they had no limit and they provided tags so the deer wouldn’t count toward any limits. I asked the dude at check-in the afternoon of the third day of the hunt (earliest I could get there) about this to verify and his reply was, “if you see a doe giving birth shoot her when she’s licking the fawn clean then shoot it too”.

I signed the check-in sheet at 1215 and had my first deer dead before 1300. Insane the amount of deer they had there.

My very first saddle hunt was from a 6" diameter pine the day before a hurricane was supposed to arrive.....hold in tight

I live in Southeast GA on one of the barrier islands. I was watching a nice buck last year and prepping to hunt him before the season last year. He had gone totally nocturnal but randomly showed up during the day...the day that Hurricane Dorian came through. Then right back to being nocturnal.

This is during 50mph winds. I was in a tree three hundred yards away after clearly making the wrong decision on where to hunt.

it was also one of my first times in a sit drag. To say I was nervous as the tree next to me fell down was an understatement.555AF4CE-08BD-4BCF-86FC-800A44DE288C.jpeg

I hunted during bow season the day a hurricane was leaving

Rain suit soaked thru so went to truck and just changed into a bathing suit and went back to tree

Killed a buck coming to freshen scrape line as rain finally started to subside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back