• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spliced Eyes vs Knots

WannaBMonkey

I have been considering replacing as many knots as possible with spliced eyes. So, are spliced eyes as reliable and safe? I've been watching some YouTube videos on creating spliced eyes and it just doesn't seem possible that they can hold. Does anyone know of some super good instructional info for creating spliced eyes for the ropes that come on the Aerohunter Kite? It just seems like it would be so much savings in weight, bulk, and clutter. But I want to be safe, too. Thanks!

I wondered the same thing, but if anything, it shows that the spliced eye, even in smaller rope outlasted a knot in larger rope.

Check out wesspur.com they have a company that professionally splices eyes for fairly cheap. Just had one done for my bridge. However it was a sewn splice.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

This is my idiot’s logic on the splice:
Knots contact on the surface(s) of the rope only, and rely on turns/folds to increase that surface-area contact. That’s why a 2x2 prusik doesn’t hold as well as a 3x3.
Splices contact and contain the entire surface and core of the rope, within an entire core and surface of the rope. Sewn eyes are very similar, binding the entire surface/core of the tag end to the entire surface/core of the portion adjacent, making mini splices the whole way down supported by the strength of the thread itself many times over.
Contact-vs-Penetration, basically. If it were boxing, the knot would be a jab to the chin (plenty hurtful) but a splice or sewn eye is a left hook to the temple or liver (downright lethal).

Splicing Predator type rope (is that double braid??) is supposed to be a nightmare.
Amsteel splice is easy, but Amsteel doesn't knot well.

Predator is double braid. Wesspur will splice it for $20, which is a steal.
Trouble is, I don't want my saddle and ropes between here and there during hunting season. I can live with 8 on a bight knots while I figure out how to do them one at a time as time allows. (Hopefully I can figure it out!)

Ok. Spliced eyes 3- me 0. I'm admitting defeat. I have sacrificed all the length from my tether I am going to. I've abraded myself, poked myself, stabbed myself, used all my grip strength up, used every naughty word I know at least twenty times, and even taught myself some new ones! So, what about sewn eyes? I believe I could do those with success. Are they reliable enough for tethers and linesman ropes? Even Aerohunter must have decided to give up on spliced eyes. They use 8 on a bight most places and sewn eyes on prussiks with shrink wrap over them. What do you all think?

I think that sewn eyes are within 10% strength retention compared to splice. I saw a Wesspur video where the dude said splicing retains 90%-ish of the rope’s strength, whereas sewing retains 85%-ish of the rope’s strength. Those percentages can vary based on the rope, but that pretty much sold me on sewn eyes. Some ropes can’t be spliced anyway (I believe OpLux is one of those).

Is there somewhere you can get eyes sewn on oplux on both ends in a custom lengths?

Is there somewhere you can get eyes sewn on oplux on both ends in a custom lengths?

As far as I know, WE is the only place to get sewn Oplux. And they only have it in a length of 8-1/2'. I have searched far & wide for other retailers that will sell and sew it in other lengths, with no luck.

I asked WE about getting a 2” eye sewn on other end and also a longer rope

They won’t do it

They said maybe in the future if enough people ask

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm working with WesSpur right now on getting sewn and hand spliced options for us in bulk. They are still doing testing on OpLux and 9mm-10mm HTP for sewn eyes. Got pricing on spliced Predator and it was pretty high so just getting sewn now. Was hoping to have this available way before now but taking a long time to get this together. If they can come up with a way to sew OpLux like Sterling does and retain high enough weight rating, I'll be able to offer a lot of options for guys.

I'm working with WesSpur right now on getting sewn and hand spliced options for us in bulk. They are still doing testing on OpLux and 9mm-10mm HTP for sewn eyes. Got pricing on spliced Predator and it was pretty high so just getting sewn now. Was hoping to have this available way before now but taking a long time to get this together. If they can come up with a way to sew OpLux like Sterling does and retain high enough weight rating, I'll be able to offer a lot of options for guys.
I was hoping you would have some Batman sh** in the works for us, @DanO. Looks like I’ll be direct depositing my paychecks to EWO.

Back