• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spot and Stalk - Kill Suit

EverettJ89

I just got a Kill Suit in the mail this week, and am excited to use it on a spot and stalk this fall should the opportunity arise.

Any of you guys have good tales of using the spot on stalk on whitetails? I would love to hear some of your experiences.

I have watched a lot of THP's videos of Zach stalking deer among others on the old youtube. I am fully expecting to fail, but I know that I will have a blast doing it so I am presented with an opportunity to put a stalk on a deer or a bear arise this year I'm throwing on the kill suit and going for it.

I shot a decent doe last year in my ghillie spot and stalk. I like hunting off the ground more than anything but sometimes it just isn't practical. Whenever it's snowing or a light rain and I'm hunting off the ground, I usually start moving slowly through the woods. I always try to move with a crosswind or the wind in my face and it's easier for me to tell wind direction when it's snowing. I saw a group of doe moving into a feeding area along a well used trail last year, sat down near a cedar tree with a slight crosswind and waited for them to come to me. When first one was in shooting range (no more than 10-15 yds) I took the shot. It's almost more rewarding than getting a big buck. I have the Kill Suit sapper in desert/grassland and it blends me right in to the cornfields along well used trails where they feed. I'll usually sit on a camp chair in the field and shoot into the woods from the corn. We have a lot of CRP grass here too and that desert/grassland works well for that too. I have another similar to the bushrag in a woodland camo/green color I use in the woods when everything is greener in early season and with both I'm able to hunt the whole season basically wherever.

I shot a decent doe last year in my ghillie spot and stalk. I like hunting off the ground more than anything but sometimes it just isn't practical. Whenever it's snowing or a light rain and I'm hunting off the ground, I usually start moving slowly through the woods. I always try to move with a crosswind or the wind in my face and it's easier for me to tell wind direction when it's snowing. I saw a group of doe moving into a feeding area along a well used trail last year, sat down near a cedar tree with a slight crosswind and waited for them to come to me. When first one was in shooting range (no more than 10-15 yds) I took the shot. It's almost more rewarding than getting a big buck. I have the Kill Suit sapper in desert/grassland and it blends me right in to the cornfields along well used trails where they feed. I'll usually sit on a camp chair in the field and shoot into the woods from the corn. We have a lot of CRP grass here too and that desert/grassland works well for that too. I have another similar to the bushrag in a woodland camo/green color I use in the woods when everything is greener in early season and with both I'm able to hunt the whole season basically wherever.

Yeah thats exactly the sort of thing i am looking to do. I don't hunt a lot of ag or crp so I went with the woodland. Part of the private I hunt is a big pine stand that was planted by the state of virginia years back. It has some thick stuff on the edges of it that stays green year round so I should be able to put it to good use in there. One of the WMAs near me has some really thick stuff in it that makes it almost impossible to get into a tree, I'm most excited to try it there, its got some nice sign and most folks won't be walking through that stuff its nasty.

I can sit in a tree all day long if I feel like its my best chance of seeing a deer, but I'm hoping to add some other weapons to the arsenal, and have some fun doing it.

Yeah thats exactly the sort of thing i am looking to do. I don't hunt a lot of ag or crp so I went with the woodland. Part of the private I hunt is a big pine stand that was planted by the state of virginia years back. It has some thick stuff on the edges of it that stays green year round so I should be able to put it to good use in there. One of the WMAs near me has some really thick stuff in it that makes it almost impossible to get into a tree, I'm most excited to try it there, its got some nice sign and most folks won't be walking through that stuff its nasty.

I can sit in a tree all day long if I feel like its my best chance of seeing a deer, but I'm hoping to add some other weapons to the arsenal, and have some fun doing it.

Cool! I worked in VA years ago near Suffolk at Dismal Swamp. Hunting off the ground is a blast. We have a lot of open country here so trees aren't always an option and even if we do, it just makes sense sometimes to sneak it quiet and sit on the ground or slowly go after em. I think a lot of people get discouraged if they don't see something the first time and call it a wash. It's worth the time and effort once you get one in close. If you haven't already got a chair, look into "Larry Chairs" they're the most comfortable I've found for ground hunting and I'm in no way affiliated with the company.

Last edited:
I've killed a few deer wearing a Marc Anthony ghillie jacket. All were while still hunting bedding areas. I'll start on the downwind side and basically just slowwwwly creep from cover to cover. I'll move 10-15 yards then sit/stand still and just watch for several minutes, sometimes hour or more, then repeat. All of the deer I've killed doing this were while I was sitting still and letting them come to me, so not quite spot and stalk.

True spot and stalk hunting whitetails can be pretty difficult in my experience. I hunt a lot of areas with high deer densities, which is a blessing and a curse. Depending on what kinda deer you're looking for, it can be fairly easy to get several stalks a day like you see out west for mulies. But there is usually a lot of sets of eyes, ears, and noses to fool. I often get busted by non-target deer while attempting stalks. And getting into bow range is the easy part. Theres a lot of factors that come into making a good shot from the ground after a stalk that don't typically come into play in an ambush hunting scenario. You may be exhausted from the stalk, you may have cramps from having to freeze in uncomfortable position when a deer is looking at you. You'll likely be shooting from your knees, or in a weird position, or on uneven ground etc. There will likely be some kind of brush, grasses, or twigs in the path of your arrow. The deer will likely be alerted to your prescence, and ready to bolt from the slightest movement or sound. You likely will have a short window, maybe a few seconds to make the shot. And on top of all that, if you're anything like me your adrenaline will be pumping. I've missed and wounded a few, and have had a bunch of close calls but have yet to make a clean spot and stalk kill. Hoping to change that this season.

The "lockdown" phase of the rut is a great time to stalk. November 8th 2018 I saw the biggest buck I'd ever seen at the time cross a road into some public with a doe. I pulled over about 100 yards up the road and snuck in after them. Long story short, I ended up inside 60 yards from them for over 3 hours and watched him breed her several times. I watched them bed down and painstakingly slowy crept my way to 33 yards from the bedded buck, which was as close as cover would allow me to get. I was looking at the doe through my binos and when I lowered them the buck was now standing facing directly away from me. I drew back, with anticipation that he would turn and give me enough of an angle to sneak an arrow in his vitals, but he just stood there like a statue. At this point the doe was staring at me, and my whole body started shaking from a combination of fatigue and adrenaline. I couldn't hold at full draw any longer. So I let down (a little more violently than i would have liked to) and the doe jumped up, blew at me a few times, and they both took off.

Last December I saw a piebald doe enter an overgrown CRP type field 200+ yards away. I was in a tree in my sit drag. I climbed down and sprinted around the outside edge of the field to try and cut her off. When I got to the area she was heading I caught a glimpse of her all-white back legs through the brush. I snuck to within 15 yards of her and decided not to kill her. She was too pretty, and I had enough meat in the freezer, so I just sat and watched her browse for an hour or so. Unfortunately she was killed by coyotes a couple months later.

Attachments

• IMG_20181222_164238__01__01.jpg
    IMG_20181222_164238__01__01.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 48
I've killed a few deer wearing a Marc Anthony ghillie jacket. All were while still hunting bedding areas. I'll start on the downwind side and basically just slowwwwly creep from cover to cover. I'll move 10-15 yards then sit/stand still and just watch for several minutes, sometimes hour or more, then repeat. All of the deer I've killed doing this were while I was sitting still and letting them come to me, so not quite spot and stalk.

True spot and stalk hunting whitetails can be pretty difficult in my experience. I hunt a lot of areas with high deer densities, which is a blessing and a curse. Depending on what kinda deer you're looking for, it can be fairly easy to get several stalks a day like you see out west for mulies. But there is usually a lot of sets of eyes, ears, and noses to fool. I often get busted by non-target deer while attempting stalks. And getting into bow range is the easy part. Theres a lot of factors that come into making a good shot from the ground after a stalk that don't typically come into play in an ambush hunting scenario. You may be exhausted from the stalk, you may have cramps from having to freeze in uncomfortable position when a deer is looking at you. You'll likely be shooting from your knees, or in a weird position, or on uneven ground etc. There will likely be some kind of brush, grasses, or twigs in the path of your arrow. The deer will likely be alerted to your prescence, and ready to bolt from the slightest movement or sound. You likely will have a short window, maybe a few seconds to make the shot. And on top of all that, if you're anything like me your adrenaline will be pumping. I've missed and wounded a few, and have had a bunch of close calls but have yet to make a clean spot and stalk kill. Hoping to change that this season.

The "lockdown" phase of the rut is a great time to stalk. November 8th 2018 I saw the biggest buck I'd ever seen at the time cross a road into some public with a doe. I pulled over about 100 yards up the road and snuck in after them. Long story short, I ended up inside 60 yards from them for over 3 hours and watched him breed her several times. I watched them bed down and painstakingly slowy crept my way to 33 yards from the bedded buck, which was as close as cover would allow me to get. I was looking at the doe through my binos and when I lowered them the buck was now standing facing directly away from me. I drew back, with anticipation that he would turn and give me enough of an angle to sneak an arrow in his vitals, but he just stood there like a statue. At this point the doe was staring at me, and my whole body started shaking from a combination of fatigue and adrenaline. I couldn't hold at full draw any longer. So I let down (a little more violently than i would have liked to) and the doe jumped up, blew at me a few times, and they both took off.

Last December I saw a piebald doe enter an overgrown CRP type field 200+ yards away. I was in a tree in my sit drag. I climbed down and sprinted around the outside edge of the field to try and cut her off. When I got to the area she was heading I caught a glimpse of her all-white back legs through the brush. I snuck to within 15 yards of her and decided not to kill her. She was too pretty, and I had enough meat in the freezer, so I just sat and watched her browse for an hour or so. Unfortunately she was killed by coyotes a couple months later.

Cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Stephen

Back