• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spring archery season.

denots

Me and my daughter did some bowfishing this weekend. Gotta love archery hunting from a boat. We ended up coming home with about 40 redfish total. The boat didn't quite get a limit each night, but was very close. Action was good, shooting maybe a little less than good. Always a great time regardless.
f0f033e741dbb2cd33c12c25ea4b02cf.jpg
dc5d9f4c836d1228ffe784615c29d5c3.jpg
09c889f9f48e3e8a0be526b46d892935.jpg
06b8cfae5e5b95f1b081bd6044e8f77f.jpg
4f7416d7de6b2397a985b3f815426abe.jpg
ace6ef4a09993ac83d5fc503a9f8ff5e.jpg
5553ad8a66d11ae7cde0cd234129dd59.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Thats awesome. I know ya'll must be covered up in reds (red drum) over in LA, here in AL we cant shoot the gamefish. Whats the krill limit and size on reds (Red Drum)there?

Edit: It appears in LA red drum are not gamefish. I bet thats the same in AL. I am gonna be sad if I could have been shooting drums this whole time haha

Edit #2: 1584548795821.png Can't in AL. Lucky ya'll!

Last edited:
That’s a sweet rig duals make all the difference with heavy mud boats wish we were allowed to bow fish for reds here in nc or keep more than one slot sized red you and your family are about to enjoy some fine food there.

We only allowed 2... Those are pretty liberal bag limit. Up till a couple years ago we only allowed 1. All reds here are slot fish also 18-27

I would trade an elk backstrap for a cooler full of reds cept I am eating the last of the straps. A whole bunch of fine eating in those coolers.

Are your fishing bow/bows package deals or did you put them together? I really want 1 but I'm frugal and the package fishing bows are kinda pricey. Last offshore trip we were surrounded by 100+ spadefish and we could have slayed if a bow onboard....seems almost every trip there is something to shoot at

Are your fishing bow/bows package deals or did you put them together? I really want 1 but I'm frugal and the package fishing bows are kinda pricey. Last offshore trip we were surrounded by 100+ spadefish and we could have slayed if a bow onboard....seems almost every trip there is something to shoot at
In my experience you don't need the fancy packages. A simple re curve/old bow that has a mount for a stabilizer will work excellent. We make a large loop that is about 10" diameter and you shoot through it like the one shown below (I haven't actually followed the DIY video below but I am sure its similar). We have bows with the reels on them but even with those we end up hand lining in!

What kind of draw weight?
Recurve we used was 50# and too much to pull so we ended up pulling around 40-45#. We typically shoot gar and carp no problem. Old PSE bows with the wheels are a great cost affective option that can usually be found on Craigslist for <$50.

Thats awesome. I know ya'll must be covered up in reds (red drum) over in LA, here in AL we cant shoot the gamefish. Whats the krill limit and size on reds (Red Drum)there?

Edit: It appears in LA red drum are not gamefish. I bet thats the same in AL. I am gonna be sad if I could have been shooting drums this whole time haha

Edit #2: View attachment 26248 Can't in AL. Lucky ya'll!
The limit is the same as standard equipment. 5 per person. 16" minimum with only 1 over 27"

They all belong to my buddy. His boat as well. He buys everything as a package deal. I have a couple of old compound bows I got at a garage sale I'm thinking of converting.

In my experience you don't need the fancy packages. A simple re curve/old bow that has a mount for a stabilizer will work excellent. We make a large loop that is about 10" diameter and you shoot through it like the one shown below (I haven't actually followed the DIY video below but I am sure its similar). We have bows with the reels on them but even with those we end up hand lining in!

These style reels work great. I prefer them to the reels that come in kits.

The limit is the same as standard equipment. 5 per person. 16" minimum with only 1 over 27"
So you just have to be good at guesstimating before the release?

I've been wanting to bowfish for a while now.....I gotta get 1 after reading this post

What's the trick for water refraction? Aim below you're target? I've shot at some fish in my friends pond with my hunting bow and always miss high

So you just have to be good at guesstimating before the release?

I've been wanting to bowfish for a while now.....I gotta get 1 after reading this post

What's the trick for water refraction? Aim below you're target? I've shot at some fish in my friends pond with my hunting bow and always miss high
Shoot low. Most fish we shoot are around 20-22 inches. If it's to small unfortunately it can't stay in the boat, so if it's questionable we give it a pass. To many to shoot at to be wasting fish.

Started thinking about getting into bowfishing as an off-season meat producer. My limited research over the past couple days has me asking A LOT of questions (recurve vs. compound, etc.). The lack of sub-$200 lefthand bow setups may keep me out of it though. Anybody have suggestions for a bow that won't break the bank?

Looked up the regs here and we're allowed to bowfish carp and gar. Not having been any kind of fisherman in the past, are these two kinds of fish good eating?

Back