• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spur Usage?

Jase244

Are people not using spurs anymore?
I purchased a set a while back that included pole gaffs and tree gaffs, just because I wasnt sure what type of trees I'd be getting into.
The property I hunt is owned by family. While I would like to own it someday, I have a hard time with using spurs and damaging some potential log investments. I could see them working great for another parcel of private property that I hunt where I wont be going up and down the same tree constantly. Just really hesitant about using them more than once on a single tree once a season.
Anyone else have this conundrum?

I've gone as far as listing them for trade for a platform but I'm even hesitant about that cause I do like using them.

Also, Missouri public land doesnt permit the use of them. Otherwise I would just use them as my run-n-gun.

#1 for me has been carbon bolts (lots of controversy there, not recommending them for others)

#2 is modified hawk helium sticks

and I am going to give spurs another good go this year as my current #3, I think.

What held me back the last couple seasons on the spurs was the lack of a satisfactory platform. My DIY platform always had some creaks and pops in it, so I used a ring of bolts or the top of my sticks instead. Spurs are dang near impossible to take on/off on a find of bolts! With the predator I picked up this year, I haven’t made a single noise during setup while practicing.... so, I figure I will throw a few run-n-gun hunts with spurs into the mix now that I have a quiet platform to step over onto.

I have a ton of setups (like 20ish) that are already drilled between me and @Scoutman this year. These are on our best spots, and cover all possible wind directions. Plus the properties where I can’t use bolts OR spikes... That will keep me covered for the first 2-3 weeks I can hunt (oct 29 - thanksgiving is my season this year). After that, I am considering run-n-gun rifle hunting with spurs, blind, on land I haven’t even scouted. I’ve got a few spots in mind that are miles from access, provide good cover, and allow for 200+ yards of visibility with rifles legal. I figure that sounds like a good attack plan. No sense using bolts when I will never show back up and I already have the spurs.

I love the idea, totally understand how they are better than other options I rely on, but I just haven’t really given them the chance to shine with my existing setups. I will definitely report back after the season, though.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

Same. Spurs were my first climbing method I tried when I switched to a saddle. I’ve tried pretty much every climbing method since and they are still my #1.

I love mine also, just have so many options it is hard to decide on one! And like @IkemanTX said it is hard to take off spurs on a ROS or bolts unfortunately so unless you have a good platform there are better options!

Do you guys use spurs consistently on the same trees?
Most guys using spurs are not hunting the tree more than once or twice a season. If I climb up and rappelled down I could hunt the tree twice with the same damage as one time going up and down. I’ve got a set of climb rights. They are ok but are bulky with the ultralight pads. I actually offered them to @Nutterbuster the other day before I realized he wanted sport climbers(I threw up a little). I carried them to work to take a pic and post for sale but think I will try some L pads so they will pack easier and just deal with the discomfort for the three minutes I will be wearing them.

I hated my spurs! Then I used them about 10 times and it clicked. Now I’m loving them. The fit in my pack and I can climb and hunt any dang tree and any dang hight. You can’t beat it.

I tried climb rights and really liked them but never felt 100% comfortable. I’m on bolts now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First season with spurs and I have been practicing on the same tree. On my property. I don’t see me using anything else’s, last year was WE steps which were fine but not better than spurs. Just upgraded to the kiwi hunter carbon fiber

Are people not using spurs anymore?
I purchased a set a while back that included pole gaffs and tree gaffs, just because I wasnt sure what type of trees I'd be getting into.
The property I hunt is owned by family. While I would like to own it someday, I have a hard time with using spurs and damaging some potential log investments. I could see them working great for another parcel of private property that I hunt where I wont be going up and down the same tree constantly. Just really hesitant about using them more than once on a single tree once a season.
Anyone else have this conundrum?

I've gone as far as listing them for trade for a platform but I'm even hesitant about that cause I do like using them.

Also, Missouri public land doesnt permit the use of them. Otherwise I would just use them as my run-n-gun.
I think I understand and share your concerns about lumber damage. We have a lot of long leaf pines here. Climbing with almost anything, they show damage on the bark right away by bleeding sap. (That’s what I’m looking for to see where others are climbing)

However, I like the idea of bolts as well. So I use those on scrap oaks and other trees with no timber value, climbing the pines with the lone wolf climber seat. After talking to some arborists, their concern about using spurs, or bolts, on pine trees is that a damaged bark invites bugs to the tree, which increases the chance of damage. Again, considering the investment protection on the lumber, which I think we should, either on our own trees or out of respect on those who let us hunt their property.

Just my opinion....

Used a modded set of aluminum Climbrites last year. Upgraded to carbon Kiwis this year. They are perfect for the scout, scout, scout & hunt days.
As soon as I mod the Kiwis my alums will be on sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I cant find a platform trade for them then I'll just keep them. I do think they have a place in my arsenal. I only wish they played a more important role. Unfortunately, my primary hunting location uses the same 10-13 stand locations every year. Some of those are pre set with bolts but not enough of them to be honest. Itll get there eventually.
My preferred method over the last few seasons have been
1. 4 mini leverage Sticks and 5step aider on bottom stick
2. Bolts
3. 4 Wild edge steps with aider
4. Spurs
All topped with a WE step platform.

I just purchased spurs yesterday. I am in contention with lumber damage. I would think bolts and other methods are more harmful. Ive never understood drilling into trees. I dont like to sit in the same spot twice and the ability to climb and tree given wind direction is especially attractive. The evil bugs are definitely a concern. Make you feel guilty. However, I’m sick and tired of using sticks and aiders. I just want to get my ass up there and release the bow string.

Back