• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs and bolts..

Flyerzfan10

I use 4 bolts as a platform. . Next year I plan to start using spurs as much as I can. My question is: Does anyone use spurs and just leave them on? I feel if I'm comfortable on bolts all day then I should be able to do this. If I put shrink tube on my bolts and vet tape the bottom of my spurs to avoid metal contact it might work. Any suggests?? Thanks

I use a ros in many variations but a lot of what makes it comfortable is spacing 2 steps (or bolts a few inches apart) to make a nice place to rest your feet. The ability to have my instep right against the tree on & off is critical. Spurs would be in the way from that aspect. I can’t see this being comfortable for more than an hour or 2

I remove my spurs. I don’t want to ever lose a shot because I couldn’t position my feet just right because the spurs got in the way or because I made a noise with the bottom of my spurs.

Every opportunity to kill is precious for me and every opportunity comes with its own challenges. I try to ensure I do all the little things to get every ounce of the odds in my favor that I can.

I use a ros in many variations but a lot of what makes it comfortable is spacing 2 steps (or bolts a few inches apart) to make a nice place to rest your feet. The ability to have my instep right against the tree on & off is critical. Spurs would be in the way from that aspect. I can’t see this being comfortable for more than an hour or 2
I get what you mean about having in step against the tree. That helps me feel stable having my foot right up against the tree. I think i'm going to try it just to see. I place my bolts in a cross pattern only using 4 bolts, so I"m only standing on one under each foot. I mainly a sitter so i don't have a lot of weight on my feet.

There would be no metal to metal contact if i shrink tube the bolts. I believe i could make them quiet with that and wrapping the bottom of the spur in vet tape.

Out of curiosity would it be lighter/easier to set a ring of squirrel steps on a boat buckle. Than carry a hand drill & bolts for your platform??

Out of curiosity would it be lighter/easier to set a ring of squirrel steps on a boat buckle. Than carry a hand drill & bolts for your platform??
Yes. I'm looking to find a few squirrel steps, tree hopper or other steps to make a ROS for when i want to set up during the season. I pre set all my other trees with bolts. In the end it would probably be easier to just strap a ROS on the tree and hunt rather than drill a few holes.

I leave mine on. I hunt off a predator platform and taped the flat bottom portion of my spurs to minimize metal on metal. The tape helps muffle noise but is not a true solution to metal on metal noise. The benefit to me is I’ve found that my spurs provide another method to stabilize my position. When I move side to side I keep one foot on the platform the other is an anchor point in the tree. Buckhole 75 is right on with his comment regarding spur inflicted injury. I try to only move one foot at a time and then very deliberately. I started leaving my spurs on because I wanted to always have my tree egress method attached, but I found the spurs have added stability to my saddle hunting positions.

There would be no metal to metal contact if i shrink tube the bolts. I believe i could make them quiet with that and wrapping the bottom of the spur in vet tape.
Wouldn't the spurs eventually cut the rubber?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

I can’t answer your specific question on compatibility of bolts and spurs. I have an uneducated guess it would be really annoying and loud and suck.

but, setting my 4 squirrel step ROS hasn’t taken me longer than a minute on the last dozen or so sits - I’ve been paying attention on purpose. It weighs less than a pound. I vet wrap the steps so no noise. I hang it from my right lineman’s loop, and deploy it at chest level while climbing up so it’s easy to access and easy to deal with.

I love the idea of presets. I don’t have any and don’t see it in my future. But a preset ring of bolts doesn’t seem to offer a significant advantage over SSROS. One big disadvantage is the sun coming up only to realize you need to be 6” lower to cover a shooting lane or avoid a branch that lost its leaves and moved up. You could just drop down and readjust ROS, but bolts you’d be stuck.

food for thought - I know you didn’t ask and it isn’t quite on topic. But might be useful.

Back