• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Spurs up Rappel down

Gorvai

Has anyone tried this? I had considered getting a pair of spurs to go up the tree with and then rappelling back down.

I just got spurs this year for the first time as I got a piece of private that the landowner is allowing me to climb junk trees with spurs. Otherwise, most people cannot use them on public land as they could theoretically damage the tree and so are illegal in many states for public land hunting. But again, if you're hunting private property and you have permission from the landowner, I think they are a very viable option. I will say; however, a good one stick up and rappel downs system is very, very hard to beat. With decent spurs, you're at the same price point give or take than a decent one stick and as an initial investment into getting at hunting height, the one stick system will give you many more options as your investment will work on both public and private properties. You can also explore the 2TC climbing system which is very minimalistic and the EWO Ultimate One-Stick is absolutely a very high level product with many options as is the OOAL one stick and platform system. If you're a DIY person, you can add a platform to an existing stick or purchase the EWO Ultimate One-Stick (or others on the market) with your platform already on the top of the one stick and thereby eliminating the need to climb up with your spurs, install your platform, and then take them off, store them, etc. There's more foreseeable "fiddle factor" potentially. If you mean just staying on the tree with your tree climbing spikes for an all day stand or even a few hours, make sure you do some research on the type of climber you will using to be sure the pads that come with the climbing spurs are comfortable. I have Opsal aluminum pads on my Klien climbers and they are very comfortable but they are bulky and will require some stealth stripping. I would have to spend some significant time in them to give you an idea of staying in spikes the whole time but I believe in my few climbs so far with them, I would have no problem doing a morning or afternoon 2-4 hour hunt in them. If you plan on just using the leather "t" pads for climbing pads, I would say no way. Wes spur does a great extended video on climbing spikes options. A lot of guys on hear have modded Climb Right spurs to make the on and off easier and quieter (no velcro, noisy buckles etc.) but if you plan on leaving them on, you wouldn't have to worry about that. If you're just getting into this and want a climbing system with the most versatility and applicability, I would recommend a one stick system. I am no climbing expert and have no affiliation just some relevant experience to add to this discussion. @GetHomeSafe and @Topdog have good experience with climbing spikes and @flinginairos has a youtube video on using climbing spurs as does @g2outdoors. As far as other climbing systems, check out @valerio024 latest minimalistic climbing method youtube video and also stuff from @always89y and @Red Beard. Good question though!!!

Last edited:
@woodsdog2 I appreciate your answer thanks man! I've read on here that nobody can find anything in VA regulations that says climbing spurs are illegal. I've watched a couple of one-stick videos but it seems pretty fiddly, where-as with the spurs I would just strap up and hook on my lineman and up I go. I already have a setup, I have the Phantom kit from Tethrd and I have their XL platform as well.

Has anyone tried this?
1,000 times !

I had considered getting a pair of spurs to go up the tree with and then rappelling back down.
Just buy the spurs and the rappelling rope and have TWO different options up your Sleeve!

I have been climbing with spikes for a long time. I can climb up and down a tree almost as fast as I can walk the same distance.
When I got my first saddle and platform I practiced soo much climbing to height and setting platform and fiddling around with tether height, bridge length, wich pocket to stuff my tag end of wich rope in that I never even bothered to take off the spurs at all.

When I started rappelling out of the tree, I did the same thing...
I'm practicing 'one sticking' now and it is SOO MUCH more screwing around!
I love my spurs!!!

You can tell the scrubs from the experienced guys right away...
I've watched every video I can find and I take what I like and $hit-can what I don't like from each person.

Sumthin' I definitely learned from my own experience is that 'one sticking' down the tree SUCKS!

Last edited:
I just got a set of spurs this spring and I am already repelling out of the tree. Haven't practiced with the spurs much but I can be at 18 feet in about 3 or 4 minutes with them and there is no messing around putting them back on to repel so I just put them back in my backpack at height. I only have to practice climbing quietly now to "perfect" my system. @flinginairos did a fantastic job with his climbing spurs video and that is what prompted me to buy a set.

I love the idea of this just not sure if I can use them where I hunt. I will need to research that before a purchase of course. However, the lightweight aspect to spurs is appealing to me. Less gear, less weight and it appears to be less fiddling around. What spurs is everyone using?

I have a set of Buckinghams with climbright pads on em. I like the pads that climbright has as they offer more stability. If I were to buy a set right now, id buy climb right. If money wasn't a concern, id get carbon geckos

I love the idea of this just not sure if I can use them where I hunt. I will need to research that before a purchase of course. However, the lightweight aspect to spurs is appealing to me. Less gear, less weight and it appears to be less fiddling around. What spurs is everyone using?
I'm using a set of Climb Rite Aluminums that I got a good deal on from the classifieds on here. They were already retro fitted with straps with quick snap buckles and stealth stripped. I like them a lot.

I just got a set of spurs this spring and I am already repelling out of the tree. Haven't practiced with the spurs much but I can be at 18 feet in about 3 or 4 minutes with them and there is no messing around putting them back on to repel so I just put them back in my backpack at height. I only have to practice climbing quietly now to "perfect" my system. @flinginairos did a fantastic job with his climbing spurs video and that is what prompted me to buy a set.

Is he the guy from Tethrd who did the spurs video?

I looked into it. Been climbing for 20 years. Also went and learned to rappel. It sounded good in logic but I’ll just use sticks.

I looked into it. Been climbing for 20 years. Also went and learned to rappel. It sounded good in logic but I’ll just use sticks.

Hey, it's not for everyone. While I'm not a fan of heights, I've had to come down ye olde rappelling tower a time or two. Different strokes for different folks :)

@woodsdog2 I appreciate your answer thanks man! I've read on here that nobody can find anything in VA regulations that says climbing spurs are illegal. I've watched a couple of one-stick videos but it seems pretty fiddly, where-as with the spurs I would just strap up and hook on my lineman and up I go. I already have a setup, I have the Phantom kit from Tethrd and I have their XL platform as well.
I would call and verify before putting on spikes and climbing up the tree, where spikes are not specifically addressed in VA wildlife regs, it does state it is illegal to cut, destroy, mutilate or molest vegetation and property. Spikes do leave holes in the tree and can peel bark. I’d ask if holes from gafs or screw in steps, would be considered mutilation, especially before I spent a bunch of money on climbing hooks

It kinda sounds similar to Kentucky’s wording and it’s illegal there

Back