• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Squirrel recipe.

Maybe it’s just because I like eating squirrel but I like it a lot of different ways! Fried, cooked on a grill. A friend of mine makes what he calls squirrel nuggets. Says he cleans the meat of the bones and then fries it. I haven’t done that yet to confirm that he isn’t crazy though. Sometimes it can be tough if chewy but I power through because I enjoy it!

Following. I need some good recipes, they are about to take over here….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fried or Brunswick Stew.

If you take a fresh cleaned squirrel, bread and fry it chances are it’s going to be tough as all get out. I like to fry mine then set them in a crockpot. Then I make a gravy and cover the squirrels in the crockpot and set on low heat. Do this at lunch time and eat them for supper.

Here’s a really good Brunswick Stew that is damn near identical to what I do.

I grew up with Macaroni and Squirrel being a regular meal in the fall. Section them and boil em in water with salt and pepper until they just about come off the bone. You'll probably have to add water to keep them covered. It takes awhile. When they are to the point of coming apart add a bag of large egg noodles. The noodles soak up the broth and Mac and Squirrel is soon ready to be served with biscuits and molasses.

Steve Rinella’s favorite way to eat them is like chicken wings in buffalo sauce. I finally tried em that way recently, and holy smokes was it awesome. I’ve gone squirrel hunting twice since then just so I can make more! I strongly suggest buying the MeatEater Fish and Game Cookbook where this recipe can be found, but in case you don’t, here’s the recipe:
0C219E09-6019-438D-826F-2AEBD3D662BD.jpeg

Crockpot til the meat falls off the bone, put in sausage gravy made with breakfast sausage of a big game creature, eat over toast or biscuits.

Also, I've found for me... the quickest way to clean squirrels is with poultry shears. Cut 'em up in quarters and a saddle like you're packing out big game. cut the ribs right off the saddle in the woods so you don't have to fish the ribs out of the meat when you cook it down.

Alright then, lets have it....please.
Ok. Cook outside

Oil the bottom of a black pot sprinkle cayenne pepper and paprika on hot oil, not quite smoking oil. The seasoning will start to brown, add quartered squirrel bits, about 3 to 4 squirrel s, to cover the bottom of the pot. Season the topside of the squirrel, then flip once brown/slightly blackened.

Pull out meat drop in (2 to 3) minced medium onions and sweat them, add a couple of ice cubes if too hot, until clear/translucent. Now add salt, pepper, 3 gloves garlic minced and 2 bell peppers minced to brown and sweat.

Add water and previously cooked meat, at high heat, occasionally stir. Reduce water from above meat, two to three times and done.

About an hour to hour and a half cook time. Serve over rice, it maybe spicy, but milds over rice.

Adjust as necessary for squirrel count, (edit) and yes add some smoked sausage or tasso. Smoked turkey neck is a great alternative to pork products.

Last edited:
I tried all the crockpot recipes I could ever find but I still like frying them in oil in a pan. Served just like chicken wings. Super tender. Not tough at all. But I am a chicken wing lover. Not currently with the prices

Back