• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SquirrelSteps (aluminum Ameristeps) available now! (ROS)

DanO

Vendor Rep
If you missed the "Calling all Ameristep Users" thread, you might not realize that we have a community developed aluminum Ameristep replacement now available. Through a lot of back and forth discussions and revamping of sketches between many members, my machinist was able to produce some prototypes that @redsquirrel and @Nutterbuster willingly tested out (see thread for their test results). Due to @redsquirrel being the grand master of "ring of steps" we named them in his honor! After a few minor tweaks, we have now shipped out the first batch of production steps to the members that signed up first. More are being made today and will continue to be stocked going forward. These weigh a mere 3.16 oz and are 3/4" wide. These steps are available at my website DoubleSteps.com (or you can use SquirrelSteps.com). You'll also find the exact strap you've been looking for to secure your ROS - the Ring of Steps Strap with a quick-release buckle.

The best news - they are on sale now for $25.00!

NOTE: We routinely sell out of DoubleSteps and now SquirrelSteps but go ahead and place a backorder. We are normally able to ship backorders within a couple days.
SquirrelStep4.jpg

Last edited:
Are you able to do custom machining? If so will you shoot me a pm to discuss a few things

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for sharing this post. I just ordered 4 steps and 12 double steps. Can’t wait to get to work.

I was really excited about this but 25 per step, ouch, man it sucks being cheap lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Received my steps on Saturday, they look great, love the satin finish on them, will help some camp tape stick to them even better for silencing. Excited to get these in a tree and give them a try this week!

Very intrigued by the steps! Great work guys! Do you think you can put amsteel, or tubular we bring through the larger hole to allow users to use the swaider and Knaider technique? Curious if anyone has tried this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Very intrigued by the steps! Great work guys! Do you think you can put amsteel, or tubular we bring through the larger hole to allow users to use the swaider and Knaider technique? Curious if anyone has tried this.

Hasn't been done yet that I know of but I'm confident it could be easily done. I had a small dyneema sling (10mm wide) and I easily slid that through the hole so that would work. The hole itself is about 9/16" in diameter. I just tried it with a double layer of 1" tubular webbing and squeezed it through too.

Hasn't been done yet that I know of but I'm confident it could be easily done. I had a small dyneema sling (10mm wide) and I easily slid that through the hole so that would work. The hole itself is about 9/16" in diameter. I just tried it with a double layer of 1" tubular webbing and squeezed it through too.
Did you guys do an FEA analysis on the design? I wonder what force could be applied to that hole without deformation. Sorry Mechanical Engineering background here haha

I really would love someones feedback on using this technique. Its nice to know the hole will allow some tubular webbing through it. I think it is doable. It would be crazy if you would only need like 4-5 of these to get to 20 ft!

No testing was done on the hole - it is there to make it lighter. Testing was done on the step attached to a tree with a strap - see thread. We hit over 1000 pounds on the first test. We will be doing more testing on this 3/4" version even though it was beefed up a little in the area that did break.

So additional testing was done on 1/6/2019. We were unable to break a 3/4" SquirrelStep. Since we wanted to test the step and not the strap specifically, we used two straps to secure it. Two steps were bent at just under 1100# but did not break. They bent just slightly (right below the strap), but it was enough to let the fork lift strap slip off. Since the straps are rated at 1000# breaking strength and 333# working load limit - we'll stick to the same rating for SquirrelSteps.

Back