• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT help

macobb

New to this idea and trying to get a cost of what I have to purchase. I have a Mantis saddle and a platformMy thought on what I need:
Petzl left hand ascender
Foot loop
Mad rock belay
Throw bag and line
And climbing rope

New to this idea and trying to get a cost of what I have to purchase. I have a Mantis saddle and a platformMy thought on what I need:
Petzl left hand ascender
Foot loop
Mad rock belay
Throw bag and line
And climbing rope

When you list Mad Rock belay, do you mean Safeguard? A regular belay (like an ATC) doesn’t have the progress capture feature.

Other than that (assuming you have a carabiner that works with the Safeguard), your list would get you up the tree. You will probably find that you want something like a small carabiner in the top hole of the Petzl to serve as a 3:1 to make your ascent a little easier. Not necessary, but it really helps.

Yes I meant the safeguard. I have ample carabiners. I intend on adding one to the top of the petzl to run the tag end through. If that’s what you were describing like I said this is all foreign to me. It just seems if I put out presets this would be the quickest, easiest, and stealthier method of climbing. I plan to buy this summer. I’m going to get a new platform and hopefully srt gear this summer. I want to get it early enough to get a comfortable method before bow season.
Right now I’m shifting my money over for Turkey season. I enjoy hunting deer but turkeys are what I live for.

Yes I meant the safeguard. I have ample carabiners. I intend on adding one to the top of the petzl to run the tag end through. If that’s what you were describing like I said this is all foreign to me. It just seems if I put out presets this would be the quickest, easiest, and stealthier method of climbing. I plan to buy this summer. I’m going to get a new platform and hopefully srt gear this summer. I want to get it early enough to get a comfortable method before bow season.
Right now I’m shifting my money over for Turkey season. I enjoy hunting deer but turkeys are what I live for.

Ok good. The mad rock lifeguard is similar but not the same in a potentially dangerous way!

For the foot loop I bought a piece of webbing and used a piece of garden hose and made a foot loop that doubles as an aider step if I’m using a stick. There are quite a few good DIY foot loop/aider posts on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal. You are right. If you can preset, it’s a great system. I bought 1000’ of paracord on Amazon for $49.95
Totally agree about the forest chickens, too.

I appreciate the help. Where do you hunt the Thunder Birds at?

In laws have 60 acres in East TN. Used to lease ranches in Sonora and Del Rio, TX. Don’t have the time to do that anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im trying to get a trip together to hit Rio’s and Merriams this spring with some buddies. We’re thinking hitting KS and Utah

Im trying to get a trip together to hit Rio’s and Merriams this spring with some buddies. We’re thinking hitting KS and Utah

Rio’s are fun. Merriam’s are on my bucket list. Don’t care about Osceola’s because I would have to go to Florida. Go Vols.

Swamp Ostriches are on my bucket list. I like Rios they’re dumb. I’ve always believed the hardest turkey to kill is a bird on public land in Alabama. I personally haven’t found anything harder. I’ve also only killed in 9 states and they’ve all been Easterns except Oklahoma Rios. RTR

Back