• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT noise reduction

michigandrake

Just getting comfortable with my SRT setup and now I am trying to make it as quiet as possible. The metal sounds coming from my ascender had to be dealt with. Replaced the biner with a soft shackle and it works pretty slick. Zero metallic noise ..... bedding area approved.

3/16 Amsteel
47" made a 3.5" loop and a piece of webbing for an abrasion guard.

on tree2.jpg
on desk.jpg

Just getting comfortable with my SRT setup and now I am trying to make it as quiet as possible. The metal sounds coming from my ascender had to be dealt with. Replaced the biner with a soft shackle and it works pretty slick. Zero metallic noise ..... bedding area approved.

3/16 Amsteel

View attachment 29368
View attachment 29369
Dude, I have no clue why I didn't think of this! Great idea! Guess I know what I will be making tonight! I will also use one for my foot loop connection to my hand ascender. Both will be made of 1/8 amsteel though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Dude, I have no clue why I didn't think of this! Great idea! Guess I know what I will be making tonight! I will also use one for my foot loop connection to my hand ascender. Both will be made of 1/8 amsteel though.

I have been using one to attach foot loop to hand ascender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My next project will be to fix my foot loop on with something similar. Thinking of going with a continuous loop and just splicing the foot loop permanently to the ascender.

My next project will be to fix my foot loop on with something similar. Thinking of going with a continuous loop and just splicing the foot loop permanently to the ascender.
That's probably a better idea as it never comes off the ascender.

My foot loop strap is just tied to my hand ascender with two half hitches. The length never varies for me and it is not life support so two half hitches are fine. I use a Petzl Rollclip to my ascender for my 3:1. Other things make more noise like my platform hanging from my saddle so I don't worry about it.

3/16 Amsteel

View attachment 29368
View attachment 29369
Great use of a soft shackle. Soft shackles for the WIN!!!

Other things make more noise like my platform hanging from my saddle so I don't worry about it.
It is not the volume (within reason) of noise but rather the type. Metal on metal noise is as bad as it gets for a human type of noise .... there is no mistaking it for anything else. I hunt primarily bedded deer until rut so getting in and out undetected is an absolute must for my success.

3/16 Amsteel
How are you attaching? I can’t get it to make sense in my head?

View attachment 29368
View attachment 29369

@Davis21 ... "How are you attaching? I can’t get it to make sense in my head?"

I put the open shackle through the ascender and then put the abrasion guard webbing on and hook the shackle. This is how I carry the ascender. Climbing just hookup the ascender, Open the shackle, run the slack rope up above the ascender and close the shackle around the rope. I have used it all summer and it works well. A little slower than a biner but so far I am liking the stealth.

Is there a girth hitch invoked somewhere?
That loop on the end of the shackle is a constrictor and the ball end goes thru it ..... when you constrict the loop it captures the ball and forms a loop. All of that is happening on the opposite side of the ascender in the first image. Google soft shackle and you will see how it works.

Back