• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT preset question

JFin15

SH Member
I just started doing a little SRT this past season and have decided to add this technique into some of my presets as well. I climb a lot of straight plantation pine trees that have no, or very little, limbs of size at a reasonable height. My question is: what are some options for hitching your rope when there are no limbs/ forks in the tree? The best ive got so far is to take a stick or my spikes with me then climb up to install a screw in step or eyelet screw and use that to hold my girth hitch up. Sounds like it will work but I haven't attempted this yet.

Great question....you seem to have the only answers to it I've seen so far. I find if it's leagal a screw in open eyelet works best, I have also left a wild edge step if I know I'm coming back to hunt a preset. I use a perch anyway so it's one less thing to carry in(the WE step). Be interesting to hear more ideas on this subject though. I'm also finding some crotches are really hard to get the rope into using paracord presets.

Great question....you seem to have the only answers to it I've seen so far. I find if it's leagal a screw in open eyelet works best, I have also left a wild edge step if I know I'm coming back to hunt a preset. I use a perch anyway so it's one less thing to carry in(the WE step). Be interesting to hear more ideas on this subject though. I'm also finding some crotches are really hard to get the rope into using paracord presets.
That's reassuring because everytime I come up with some solution, I ALWAYS make it more difficult than it has to be. But yea it would be great to hear some brainstorming from the brilliant engineering minds of this forum. The issues ive ran into so far here in the south is the tree either has 98 branches making it difficult to get the rope next to the trunk or zero branches. Im also planning on using 50# test braided fishing line to leave out over the summer instead of paracord...ive heard the bushytails find it tasty. Other than that, I need to work on getting up and down the tree without banging into it so much causing unwanted noise.

Was wondering the same thing. I have watched most of the NY Saddle Hunter vids on YouTube, but they haven't said how to do that yet.

I have heard of people using extendable poles to push the girth hitch up the tree but personally I would rather just strap on my spikes or use a stick and run up the tree instead of carrying a pole around. For my particular case, ill need to ascend the tree anyway to tend to shooting lanes when hanging sets so no real trouble there but certainly there has to be another way. One thing I have started doing is carrying some braid with me and when I hunt from a tree I may want to hunt again, ill string the fishing line up so its there if I decide to come back.

My idea I haven't tried. Climb up with sticks or something. Take a short section of PVC pipe painted green or brown, large enough for your srt rope to go thru. Tie it around the tree where you want to tether. Run Paracord thru the PVC and route it down the tree so your srt rope will go up the way you want it and around the tree where you want to tether. Just an off the cuff idea.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

@Bourdeau how are you tying your paracord to your climbing rope? Ive been tying a poachers knot in the paracord then cinching that down onto the tag end of my climbing rope, pulling that end up first. I have had a few instances where it was difficult to get it around a limb but haven't had it get stuck yet. Im sure theres a better knot to use also.

@Bourdeau how are you tying your paracord to your climbing rope? Ive been tying a poachers knot in the paracord then cinching that down onto the tag end of my climbing rope, pulling that end up first. I have had a few instances where it was difficult to get it around a limb but haven't had it get stuck yet. Im sure theres a better knot to use also.
On YouTube NY Saddle Hunter has a vid on how to do it.

Last edited:
Just thought of this, haven't tried it. For public that doesn't allow screw ins...

Small paracord choker girth hitched to tree at height. Tie loop in free end. Attach cheap Harbor Freight oversized carabiner to loop.

Screenshot_2020-01-15-19-30-05.png

Run preset paracord through the oversized carabiner. This would allow you to pull your rope up through the carabiner, around the tree, and achieve a girth hitch.

This however would pinch the oversized carabiner in the girth hitch of your climbing rope, but might give you enough friction to climb. Once you get to height, you could remove the carabiner from inside the climbing rope girth hitch and hunt.

Might be worth a shot, I dunno...

Just thought of this, haven't tried it. For public that doesn't allow screw ins...

Small paracord choker girth hitched to tree at height. Tie loop in free end. Attach cheap Harbor Freight oversized carabiner to loop.

View attachment 23656

Run preset paracord through the oversized carabiner. This would allow you to pull your rope up through the carabiner, around the tree, and achieve a girth hitch.

This however would pinch the oversized carabiner in the girth hitch of your climbing rope, but might give you enough friction to climb. Once you get to height, you could remove the carabiner from inside the climbing rope girth hitch and hunt.

Might be worth a shot, I dunno...
Same thing as my idea just with carabiner instead of PVC pipe. I think the carabiner would actually work better than PVC.

My idea I haven't tried. Climb up with sticks or something. Take a short section of PVC pipe painted green or brown, large enough for your srt rope to go thru. Tie it around the tree where you want to tether. Run Paracord thru the PVC and route it down the tree so your srt rope will go up the way you want it and around the tree where you want to tether. Just an off the cuff idea.

definitely an idea. and that would be public legal...

On YouTube NY Saddle Hunter has a vid on how to do it.
I usually tie a pile hitch some half hitches and a clove hitch on the end( nothing worse than spending 20 minutes on the perfect throw line spot only to lose it when you go to pull up your climbing rope)when your knot comes off the end of your rope!.
I've never tied my climb rope to my throw bag ring.
Many arborist just tie a clove hitch on the line with half hitches out to the end also....?

Last edited:
One option I do for presets is one I use for a group of 2 or more trees. I will use my paracord preset line to pull up climbing line then pull it down and tie a running bowline around one of the stems and then rope walk up the other leg. I just ordered the Docapole (6'-24' version) and am going to see if I can set the girthed set at hunting height and then climb set platform and be done. I was using my 4' pvc setup and 3-4 W.E. steps to reach hunting height but if I can get it down to a stick,rope and platform it would be sweet.

I am thinking that I am going to whip the end of my SRT rope with a loop and then use some kind of quick attach devices like for fishing line so I don’t have to tie and untie multiple knots for throw line/bag, paracord preset, etc.

Like this
110F2F52-7C7E-425A-BB98-2A65079CF3D0.jpeg

When I SRT, I tie the paracord to the free end of the rope with a double sheet bend. (Super simple to learn)

This allows me to SRT with less rope. See here:

I am thinking that I am going to whip the end of my SRT rope with a loop and then use some kind of quick attach devices like for fishing line so I don’t have to tie and untie multiple knots for throw line/bag, paracord preset, etc.

Like this
View attachment 23684
that's a good idea, something I hadn't considered. Wouldn't take anything to somehow attach a barrel swivel or even a steel wire leader to your climbing rope then just have a loop or hook up on all your preset paracord/fishing line. That's one thing I planned on attacking after season because tying these knots with gloves, especially with fishing line in the dark, has the potential to pee me off lol. Main reason Ive been using the poachers knot on my paracord, just loosen and cinch, ready to go. I like the snap swivel idea but I have had them bend before on fish so that's one thing to keep in mind. Theyre not as strong as advertised. Ive had bass completely strip 30# swivels but I like where this is going. Keep us posted

Last edited:
When I SRT, I tie the paracord to the free end of the rope with a double sheet bend. (Super simple to learn)

This allows me to SRT with less rope. See here:

I can get over 40 feet with my 45ft htp using a screw link. One thing I do to keep the hitch from sliding bc of the link is keep 2 castration bands on the main line then slide em up to the link when set.

Back