• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT question about belay

I believe most of the devices out there will work with 11 mm rope. The gri gri will. The safeguard will.

I use sterling superstatic II 11mm rope and it works great with my grigri2. Main issue with finding belay devices is ropes under 9mm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I used a Madrock Safeguard, Lifeguard and a GriGri on 8.5mm rope and never had one slip.

Looking into changing my entire setup over to Oplux including my repel line and the madrock safeguard has not slipped at all for you even tho its rated for 8.9mm rope as its smallest??

Absolutely no slip for me. If you are at all concerned, use a little bit bulkier carabiner to induce more friction. The Rock Exotica Pirate is a good choice.

Absolutely no slip for me. If you are at all concerned, use a little bit bulkier carabiner to induce more friction. The Rock Exotica Pirate is a good choice.
Is that carabiner bigger than the black diamond rocklock carabiner?

Not sure about that one. I should say that I use a very small Metolius with my MR Safeguard and Oplux. I don’t share the same concerns as @MNhunter15 . I have even rappelled using Sterling 6mm TRC and a MR mini 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Also witnessed you going down as fast as possible with the Safeguard on Oplux. Folks, you are not going splat or thud unless the rope or something else failed completely.

How can a bigger carabiner induce more friction? With the Safeguard, the carabiner doesn't even touch the rope.

Where can you buy 50' of Sterling Oplux 8mm with a sewn eye at a good price? Also does anyone know if the Rock Exotica Pirate Carabiner will work with a Kong Duck for a backup 8' tether using Oplux 8mm?

LOL well I guess I can rephrase my question:) Where do you buy 50' of Sterling Oplux 8mm rope with a sewn eye? I also plan on using the rope with a Safeguard and autoblock as a backup. What would be a good recommendation for an autoblock that would work well with 8mm Oplux?

With only a small amount of shoulder mobility and grip strength you can rappel using a "carabiner wrap" or even a munter hitch. to do the carabiner wrap, hold the end of the rope closest to the tree in your left hand, and the tag end in your right. Put the tree on your left, and push the rope down into your carabiner gate. Then, wrapping the rope around the spine, push it forward and back through the gate again. Holding the rope in your right hand with a fist in your lower back, you can slow your fall. If that's confusing, youtube search "carabiner wrap rappel".

Back