• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

SRT - rough bark tree

Jokerswild

So my sling shot/fishing reel throw line device works pretty darn good. I did a pre-set on the only tree I have here at home that would be stout enough...with a branch to lob over. All went very well.

I went with girth hitch on the tree.. not the branch. can not get the hitch to tighten up. Every attempt has the rope snagging hard about 2/3 of the way up. Preet rough bark shaggy ol monster though. I assume other trees are easier to work with? Or are guys girthing the BRANCH more often than the actual trunk? I dont know how I feel about the branch hitch...kinda limits the available trees, in the right location if a guy is depending on a. heavy branch, b. at the right hieght, c. in the right location. ...

Shag bark trees are a bear to climb with any method. You can attach you pull down rope to your link and use it to pull your rope away from the tree. This will get you higher but probably not all the way up to hunting height. If the connection is secure you can climb up as high as you can, attach a second tether, then move your SRT connection up. Repeat as needed. Getting rope out of these trees can also be a challenge.

I have had issues even on oak with the girth snagging. It helps if you can walk away from the tree and change the angle. However, that doesn’t work if your spot is in thick cover (which it usually is).
My takeaway with SRT has been it is really safe, but can be a challenge with high fiddle factor and noise. There are still spots for me that it is the bees knees, but definitely not my primary climbing method.

Well- all of those answers about sums up my experience so far.. Pick your spots. Some trees dont lend themselves to one sticking, and some dont work well with SRT. I just dont have a good practice tree for either here at home for either. My best option...is a 1 stick Honey Locust. Google THAT B***h! I have most of the thorns busted off....I think.

Ive gained occasional access to about hundred acres that I havent been able to hunt for years. It adjoins my property so its a major win! I dont see me hanging stands... but my saddle will be the way to go..and a few presets trees that dont lend themselves to one sticking is really a game changer. Just have to spend a day "hunting trees" not deer.

Back