• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stabilizer Vs. No Stabilizer

HuntNorthEast

So, curious. How many of you don't run a stabilizer?

Last night (nightly practice this time of year) I was shooting at 40 and noticed I was floating my pin too much. I prefer a bow with a little weight to it because it helps me stabilize. I had added a stabilizer last season (8" I forget the weight) and ran it all last season with no issues but didn't practice as much as I have this season. Upon releasing I was noticing a torque (counter-clockwise) happening. I shoot with a flat, open hand FYI. I thought, wouldn't one of them fancy rear offset stabilizers fix that? So, before I became that guy I wanted to experiment. I took my stabilizer off of the front, secured my wrist strap with a cap screw and went back to shooting. My groups at 40 were a staggering difference (touching shafts) and my 20/30 I had to keep moving so I wasn't splitting arrows... What a difference. Torque gone.

I guess the way the weight was distributed and how my bow sits in my hand the stabilizer was hurting me more than helping me. Now, the bow has a nice forward roll off and my side to side gaps between my arrows on target are virtually gone. I'm just glad I have a bunch of culled arrows that I strictly use for practice (same set up as my hunting arrows just the ones that don't fly as good as my hunting arrows).

Anyone else ever have a similar problem? Everything else is tight, shooting true, and ready to roll. T minus 23 days.

Good luck this fall, again!
HuntNorthEast1.png

My experience was similar to yours. It was quite a while ago when I made a change from a compound with a heavy wooden riser to a lighter shorter ATA bow. I thought I needed the extra weight for stabilizing but after a bit I discovered I shot better without it. Last experiment with a stabilizer for me. That things probably still in a long forgotten junk box somewhere in my basement. :tearsofjoy:

Good morning @HuntNorthEast. I'm about to embark on the same venture for similar reasons. I've been shooting compound for 27 years on and off. Up until a few years ago, I only ever used a 4" rubber shock absorber stabilizer. When my bow was stolen, the replacement I bought came with an 8" trophy ridge. I'm now curious if either no stabilizer or a front and back stabilizer will make a difference. Once it's back from the bow shop, I'm going to experiment.

Stabilizer or no stabilizer is more or less a personal choice. Some people don't need one. If you run a heavier draw weight, you may want to. Lighter draw weight you probably wouldn't because there's less forces on the bow. A front pin is for stabilizing your sight pins. A side stabilizer is pretty helpful for counter-balancing a permanently mounted quiver or if you just like to leave the quiver on. I'm wanting to get a two-piece side quiver, so I'm also looking at getting a side stabilizer for my bow.

Depends on my bow and setup. With my vertix I notice I float a lot after i removed my single pin slider and heavier rest. Before i never ran one on it.I run a 10” bar on the vertix now. With my Darton and quest bows I don’t need one.

I'm running a SpotHogg Fast Eddie 2 pin but it's not set to be all the way forward. I also shoot and hunt with my quiver off. I think the weight was just being thrown off is all.

Stabilizers help tremendously. If you want to kill a deer, you need one. Period. Everyone should always employ a stabilizer on their bow.

For anyone who hasn't jumped on the stabilizer bandwagon, but has a lick of sense about them... go check out the two stabilizers I'm selling in the classifieds right now. You need them to be the best hunter you can be.

I’m new to compounds but a 10” dead center with a little weight helped my left to right float. Now I just focus on the target. Already busted a nock and shaft. So now I spread out my shots on my bag. I’m shooting an elite kure.

Last year I ran no stabilizer just a side bar to offset the weight of my quiver/sight. Love that setup but this year I plan on running a 3" dampner.

I usually do not use one. Don't want to carry the weight, although it isn't much. Right now, I do have one on.......not sure if it'll stay.

Stabilizers help tremendously. If you want to kill a deer, you need one. Period. Everyone should always employ a stabilizer on their bow.

For anyone who hasn't jumped on the stabilizer bandwagon, but has a lick of sense about them... go check out the two stabilizers I'm selling in the classifieds right now. You need them to be the best hunter you can be.

I'm glad SOMEONE is following the new policy of bolding and underlining all sarcasms. Thank you for being a gentleman and scholar.

I got rid of my stabilizer last year and ain't looking back, my groups improved greatly after dropping it. I am contemplating a side bar to compensate for the quiver, thinking of leaving it on full time. Haven't decided yet though.

I was thinking the same thing when I was shooting today. I have a Mathews z7 extreme, so smaller bow, my current stabilizer is a tactacam stabilizer mount. My only issue with ditching it is I want to have a bow mounted action camera, not for YouTube but for myself lol

Hmm. I see a lot of coincidences here. Mainly slightly older bows. All my older bows I never found a need for a stab. I wonder if majority is due to grip changes. The older bows had huge wide large angled grips. Many of the newer bows like my Mathews are not and it’s very tweaky. I can grab my 15yr old g5 with nothing and pound dots all day.

You might be on to something @RamBam. My prior bow was an older Mathews Outback. Heavier with a thick grip. I didn’t need the stabilizer on that one.

Back