• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stalker Coyote incoming

Jagger0502

SH Member
I am pumped, my Stalker Coyote is arriving next week. I can’t wait to see and shoot this thing. This will be my first custom bow and it took some time to save up the funds (and convince my wife). I am shooting a Striker Sport 60” right now which will be going up for sale once my new bow arrives. Hate to let it go but it’s part of the funding for the new bow.

Stalker Coyote FXT 60” with two sets of ACS LB limbs. 60lb@28 and a set of limbs still being built that will be around 47-50lbs@28. Cocobolo and Claro Walnut riser with Cocobolo veneers.

I did. I haven’t seen a bow he has made that I haven’t liked. But that one was especially eye catching.

Cocobolo and Claro Walnut riser and Cocobolo limbs. One 60lb set and one 45lb set. I am smitten over this bow. It’s functional artwork and is shooting real real nice. First thing my wife said was I bet you people tell you it’s too pretty to take hunting…. If that’s your question, I assure you, it will be in the woods.

I will tell you this… I am currently shooting 47lbs, 60lbs is a lot of weight on a longbow! I didn’t expect to hunt with the 60lb limbs this year and planned to shoot all next summer building up to hunt with them but for some reason those are the limbs I put on first to shoot so I could get some arrows set up for it. It’s such a smooth bow I have myself half convinced I can be ready to hunt with those heavier limbs by the time our season rolls around. I shot about 20 shots checking for the right spine and although I shook a little towards the end I felt like it was possible.

I will tell you this… I am currently shooting 47lbs, 60lbs is a lot of weight on a longbow! I didn’t expect to hunt with the 60lb limbs this year and planned to shoot all next summer building up to hunt with them but for some reason those are the limbs I put on first to shoot so I could get some arrows set up for it. It’s such a smooth bow I have myself half convinced I can be ready to hunt with those heavier limbs by the time our season rolls around. I shot about 20 shots checking for the right spine and although I shook a little towards the end I felt like it was possible.

No different than working out a couple times a week. If you've gotten this far, you're already there.
Just remember it can be harder to maintain that level of strength without constantly staying up with it. That's where I'm at......and age.

Yup, I had torn my left tricep 4 year ago and had to go back to my compound and turn the lbs way down just to hunt. I went up each year and finally got to be able to shoot my 47 lb recurve this past summer but it was a long journey back. Right handed shooter and my left arm is my struggle.
I shot the 45 lb limbs today and think I will focus on getting those tuned in first and get used to the bow and then move up to the 60s in a few weeks and see where I am at.

Make sure you post pics of her. I don't shoot trad anymore but that's how I started out and I still love to look at trad bows. They are works of art.

I can’t get enough of them… I want one so bad but I’m a fricken weakling… I shoot a 50# compound but struggle with a dang 25#stick bow..

Yeah it looks like your kinda struggling to hold up that minnow in your profile pic :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

yeppp haha I’m built like a hobbit. I’ve had a couple people say I would build the strength, guess I’m just second guessing it because I was shaking with 25#

What do you think? I’m 33, 147# 5’7” on a good day!

yeppp haha I’m built like a hobbit. I’ve had a couple people say I would build the strength, guess I’m just second guessing it because I was shaking with 25#

My wife, 5’4” 130lbs is shooting a 30lb@28” Black Hunter bow.cost us about $100 on Amazon. It’s a great one to start with and you can buy heavier limbs all the way up to 60lbs.

after my surgery on my tricep (left tricep, RH shooter) I went from a 70lb compound and 55# recurve to struggling with a 35lb compound the first year, 45 lb compound 38lb recurve the second year and then 65lb compound and 47lb recurve the third year. Took a while, a lot of lifting and a lot of shooting to get there in three years. I think … if you are pulling a 50lb compound you should be able to pull a 35 lb recurve. After shooting regularly for a month or two you should be able to bump up 10lbs and comfortably shoot 45lbs which is enough to hunt with. Even a hobbit should be able to shoot a decently heavy recurve with regular shooting.

and for the record I am only 5’9” so I can make hobbit jokes.

My wife, 5’4” 130lbs is shooting a 30lb@28” Black Hunter bow.cost us about $100 on Amazon. It’s a great one to start with and you can buy heavier limbs all the way up to 60lbs.

after my surgery on my tricep (left tricep, RH shooter) I went from a 70lb compound and 55# recurve to struggling with a 35lb compound the first year, 45 lb compound 38lb recurve the second year and then 65lb compound and 47lb recurve the third year. Took a while, a lot of lifting and a lot of shooting to get there in three years. I think … if you are pulling a 50lb compound you should be able to pull a 35 lb recurve. After shooting regularly for a month or two you should be able to bump up 10lbs and comfortably shoot 45lbs which is enough to hunt with. Even a hobbit should be able to shoot a decently heavy recurve with regular shooting.

and for the record I am only 5’9” so I can make hobbit jokes.

Yeah I don’t get it, but it was a struggle. Let off is a heck of a thing haha.

46, 5'7", currently 140#. I can get up to about 148# if I bulk up. Until just recently my bows were all 60-64#.
I can't lie, I go through phases of being a gym rat. Before COVID I was deadlifting 315 and squatting 225 for reps. It was time to back off.
If I can do it, you can do it.

46, 5'7", currently 140#. I can get up to about 148# if I bulk up. Until just recently my bows were all 60-64#.
I can't lie, I go through phases of being a gym rat. Before COVID I was deadlifting 315 and squatting 225 for reps. It was time to back off.
If I can do it, you can do it.

Thanks! That gives me some hope haha. Do you think the gym is necessary or is it possible to get to a legal hunting weight just from shooting and being consistent about it?

Thanks! That gives me some hope haha. Do you think the gym is necessary or is it possible to get to a legal hunting weight just from shooting and being consistent about it?

Easily done at home. Get yourself some 8, 15, 25# dumb bells and you can do shoulder presses, lat raises, bent rows, etc. Start doing pushups in sets of your age in the morning or before bed. You'll see gains pretty quick. Eat well and hydrate.

Getting started sucks, but with me a switch flips and I can't get enough of it....eventually...lol.

Back