• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Starting to learn video editing...

IkemanTX

I just got our new computer in and can now actually run a video editing software without crashing the computer, so I am going to be trying to learn how to edit videos some. Currently, the only filming gear I have is my iPhone 10s plus, but I hope to pick up a Go Pro hero black and a DJI Osmo Pocket within the next year.

I have DaVinci Resolve on the computer, and it has been a bit of a cluster trying to learn the workflow. It took me 3 hours to get resolve to play audio properly... it kept defaulting to the HDMI on my Nvidia instead of the speaker port.... finally got it going though.

Anyone have any tips or pointers for a newbie?

I'm also new to filming/editing. Also using my phone(note9) I use the app kinemaster to edit, it leaves a watermark unless you pay for it. I eventually would like to get an actual video camera and a go pro. I dont see how I can video hunts on my phone with the quality of the video being so blurry.

I'm also new to filming/editing. Also using my phone(note9) I use the app kinemaster to edit, it leaves a watermark unless you pay for it. I eventually would like to get an actual video camera and a go pro. I dont see how I can video hunts on my phone with the quality of the video being so blurry.

I figure I will grab a few of the Moment lenses for my iPhone to help with aspect ratio and crispness of the imagery. They have a pretty good video/photo app for capturing where you can really manually adjust everything.

Another thing I have found already that helps drastically with workflow is an app called SendAnywhere. It transfers files from PC to PC, or mobile to Pc effortlessly. With the iOS to PC difficulties, it really makes my life easier.

My dream setup (if I decide to go further down the road to videoing) would be

•iPhone with Moment Lenses (wide, tele, and anamorphic)
•DJI Osmo pocket
•Action cam such as a go pro hero black
•Prosumer type video camera
•DJI Magic 2
And some supporting gear like tripods, mounts, external audio sources... etc.

I can’t afford all that, though. So I would have to find some reason to justify the expenses other than “I like making videos”.

One thing I have considered is doing some work for hire if I get good enough to justify it. Maybe some real estate videos that don’t require perfection, and charge just enough to pay for some more gear.

I edit using the open source project shotcut. It's pretty easy to use and full feature.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Anyone with DaVinci Resolve experience?
Yeah, it's definitely more capable than I am, haha. YouTube has been my go to, jus punch in "how to _____ davinci resolve" and then you get a 40 min video on how to do something. During that video they'll reference a critical step that I have no idea how to do... Then I have to watch that video, haha.

I've got 2 turkey hunts I need to sit down and edit. I'm going to be a bachelor for a couple days this week while my wife and kid are at a cottage with her parents, so I need to buckle down and get to it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yea the camera I'm looking at getting one day is the
sony Ax-33/4k. It's about $800 and I know a few youtubers use this camera to film hunts.

Currently, the only filming gear I have is my iPhone 10s plus, but I hope to pick up a Go Pro hero black

When it comes time you should look into a 360 camera instead of a GoPro. I got an insta 360 one x and used it on my turkey hunts. It's amazing how it gets everything and you just pick which framing you want after so you don't have to point it during the heat of the moment. One less thing to worry about.

@IkemanTX in my opinion the only thing a go pro is good for is B role and walking in, tracking etc anything close up. I brought mine on a fishing trip and it was awesome but I was really close to the action.
I’m no video guy or editing but I tossed this together quick for my son and brother in law to remember the day! All from go pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth mentioning, you don't just buy a 4k camera and go at it. You need an entire setup for 4k from the monitor to the video card and OS to handle that type of file. You're talking massive files and heavy rendering. 90% of the world isn't setup to make 4k worth your time. If you want to future proof maybe but the cost to return bus about zero.

Worth mentioning, you don't just buy a 4k camera and go at it. You need an entire setup for 4k from the monitor to the video card and OS to handle that type of file. You're talking massive files and heavy rendering. 90% of the world isn't setup to make 4k worth your time. If you want to future proof maybe but the cost to return bus about zero.

My entire computer setup was specifically built for either massively intensive 3D gaming, or video editing. I wanted to heavily future proof our device, because I am absolutely DONE spending hard earned money on something that I know will be obsolete in 4-5 years.

Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core processor (water cooled)
32 GB (2X16 gigs) high speed ram
Nvidia GeForce 2060 - 6gig
Gaming motherboard
512gig - M.2 NVME solid state boot drive
1Tb - ADATA solid state workflow drive
2Tb - disk data drive

With a terabyte of solid state hard drive to read/write projects to, and a half terabyte M.2 MVME drive for my choice of rendering software to run from, it should handle 4K rendering without breaking a sweat. I doubt I will need to render anything in higher resolution than 1080 for a while, but I at least have the capability.

@IkemanTX in my opinion the only thing a go pro is good for is B role and walking in, tracking etc anything close up. I brought mine on a fishing trip and it was awesome but I was really close to the action.
I’m no video guy or editing but I tossed this together quick for my son and brother in law to remember the day! All from go pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get ya. The one spot I REALLY like the go pro the most is how @g2outdoors runs his. Clipped to his tether facing him. It becomes a completely hands off “face tracking” camera at that point, because your tether swings with you.

When it comes time you should look into a 360 camera instead of a GoPro. I got an insta 360 one x and used it on my turkey hunts. It's amazing how it gets everything and you just pick which framing you want after so you don't have to point it during the heat of the moment. One less thing to worry about.

I really haven’t played around with a 360 cam enough to know their resolutions. My instinct, though, is that they must sacrifice resolution to cover more field of view. I do like that the framing is totally adjustable after the fact, though. That’s a super awesome feature.

Last edited:
My entire computer setup was specifically built for either massively intensive 3D gaming, or video editing. I wanted to heavily future proof our device, because I am absolutely DONE spending hard earned money on something that I know will be obsolete in 4-5 years.

Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core processor (water cooled)
32 GB (2X16 gigs) high speed ram
Nvidia GeForce 2060 - 6gig
Gaming motherboard
512gig - M.2 NVME solid state boot drive
1Tb - ADATA solid state workflow drive
2Tb - disk data drive

With a terabyte of solid state hard drive to read/write projects to, and a half terabyte M.2 MVME drive for my choice of rendering software to run from, it should handle 4K rendering without breaking a sweat. I doubt I will need to render anything in higher resolution than 1080 for a while, but I at least have the capability.

I get ya. The one spot I REALLY like the go pro the most is how @g2outdoors runs his. Clipped to his tether facing him. It becomes a completely hands off “face tracking” camera at that point, because your tether swings with you.

I really haven’t played around with a 360 cam enough to know their resolutions. My instinct, though, is that they must sacrifice resolution to cover more field of view. I do like that the framing is totally adjustable after the fact, though. That’s a super awesome feature.
Mine is 5.7k before any cropping so it looks great after

I edit using the open source project shotcut. It's pretty easy to use and full feature.

I use the same, but I’ve JUST started using it and haven’t really dove in and tried to learn it yet.

The camera/editing/videography question can lead you down a deep dark hole.

@BCHunter hit the nail on the head: Youtube is your friend.

Everything I learned about editing/videography/design came from YouTube. If you want to learn and are willing to put in the effort and time, youtube is a fantastic teacher.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The biggest to learn is audio quality and adjustment and j cuts and l cuts. In my opinion broll IS the story

The camera/editing/videography question can lead you down a deep dark hole.

@BCHunter hit the nail on the head: Youtube is your friend.

Everything I learned about editing/videography/design came from YouTube. If you want to learn and are willing to put in the effort and time, youtube is a fantastic teacher.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The biggest to learn is audio quality and adjustment and j cuts and l cuts. In my opinion broll IS the story

Audio quality is my #1 priority to start out. The iPhone could cover me for scouting videos and general setup videos pretty well without having to buy much extra gear video wise, but it won’t do well in hunting situations. The internal audio for phones and other video recorders is just far too sub par.

I am thinking about the Comica CVM-VM10 II micro directional condenser mic. It has several good reviews on YouTube, and is 1/5th the price of the Rhode. It seems that everyone who records to a phone (and many cameras for that matter) with external sound have master volume reductions from what is optimal, but it is definitely better than nothing.

I definitely won’t be playing around with a pre-amp and external recorder any time soon, so the onboard recording of the iPhone or Osmo pocket (if I pick it up) will just have to do. I can always push the volume up in post production.

I started getting into self filming and editing all together just this past season and my skill has definitely increase by watching as many youtube videos as possible. I started with just a couple knock off action cameras and quickly fell down the rabbit hole of filming and hunting together. Its a whole new ball game
I use shotcut free film software, and I think it works great...for being free. I think it does everything I need it to do! I use a cheap $200 sony vixia 800 from amazon. The biggest thing that enabled me to do was ZOOM with quality and that made a huge difference in the outcome quality of my videos. Having the sony vixia and my iphone Xr. I should be set up quite nicely to get some awesome footage this year!
I look forward to it!!! Super excited to get back out there and experience some Mother Nature!

I like the idea of self filming hunts enough that I have it a shot last year. Maybe I should have tried it during November but in September it was terrible. By the time I get tethrd in in 90 degree heat covered in sweat spending another 10 minutes setting up cameras stunk. Of course that was my worst archery season I have ever hunted. It rained most of the season after it cooled down so I only took the camera to the woods a couple times during rifle.

Believe it or not, the hunts themselves are probably the last thing I am wanting to film.... I know it will definitely be necessary to complete the story of all the scouting and setup videos I would like to produce. But, the scouting and setup stuff is really what I’m aiming to do.

I would like to cover a lot of forage and native food source identification as well, because I feel like there is a big lack of all that for the common hunter to learn from. I will also be doing a little food plotting on a small piece of family land next year and would like to cover that, just for my own personal records.

I will keep my current channel (under my name) for gardening and foraging stuff. That way each channel is more focused, and feels less scatterbrained. I only have a few things on there so I could link to them on saddlehunter, or text someone a link instead of trying to text a video file that is too big. I figure I’ll take any videos not linked in a thread down. It will be a few months before I really post anything, because my work schedule won’t really allow for filming for several more weeks. But, I hope to start amassing some decent B-roll at the very least.

Back