• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

startled by back tension release?

raisins

SH Member
Anyone else experience this? I got the Scott Hex Longhorn out after a year of not shooting it. I usually shoot a Scott trigger release with wrist strap. Well, when the back tension release went off, it would startle me to the point where I would flinch so fast that it would actually make my shot way worse (hit like 6 inches or more to the side with the arrow cork screwing). I could startle faster than the arrow could get off the bow. Does this go away if you shoot it more?

The back tension releases are a joke in a hunting situation. I could never get off a shot exactly when I wanted to. It's supposed to go off by "surprise". Well when there's a big buck walking along and I can't stop him, I need to be able to take a shot in my shooting lane and be able to time that shot. I don't like surprises at the moment of truth. I can time my shot perfectly and get off a shot faster with a regular wrist/trigger release.

Anyone else experience this? I got the Scott Hex Longhorn out after a year of not shooting it. I usually shoot a Scott trigger release with wrist strap. Well, when the back tension release went off, it would startle me to the point where I would flinch so fast that it would actually make my shot way worse (hit like 6 inches or more to the side with the arrow cork screwing). I could startle faster than the arrow could get off the bow. Does this go away if you shoot it more?
Get you a stan with a lock and just practice drawing and pulling through. When you hear the click like it went off. Let down amd start over. After getting that feel get close to your bag. 5 yards draw close your eyes and just blind bale over and over. Then once you feel comfy step to 10 amd start shooting with your eye open. Blind baling is a huge help to those that struggle with tension. Ive hunted with Stan jet black and tru ball HT alot.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

The back tension releases are a joke in a hunting situation. I could never get off a shot exactly when I wanted to. It's supposed to go off by "surprise". Well when there's a big buck walking along and I can't stop him, I need to be able to take a shot in my shooting lane and be able to time that shot. I don't like surprises at the moment of truth. I can time my shot perfectly and get off a shot faster with a regular wrist/trigger release.
I do not agree on them being a joke. Its just all in what works for you

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Made me a better shooter hands down! Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Like mentioned above try blank bale shooting or even just some loop material set to your draw length in a loop around your hand works.
Before you worry about aiming learn the basic of a hinge release then move on to aiming.
We are all wired differently and what works for some my not work for others .
You will know if it works best for you so don’t let someone else tell you not to use it because they can’t or don’t.

“If it helps you control you use it”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stay on topic, no reason to get chippy & lockup a good thread.
So are we talking saddle hunting or is this archery talk? Not sure why you're deleting completely valid posts. Playing favorites are we?

So are we talking saddle hunting or is this archery talk? Not sure why you're deleting completely valid posts. Playing favorites are we?
Welcome to the forum—glad to have you (I mean that)! We talk about all kinds of things here, ranging from saddle hunting (primarily) to hunting more generally, to archery, to public land camping vehicles, to sick kids and miraculous healing, to boats and trotlining. Not sure if you realized it, but threads are placed in categories so you can quickly decide if they involve topics you want to see/discuss. This post is in the “General Discussion” section, so comments on archery stuff fit right in. Things that don’t fit in here (or in any other section on this forum) are hostility, rudeness, and disrespectful comments.
We have a great community of folks here, and I sincerely hope you’ll stick around and contribute meaningfully and respectfully.
Happy hunting!

This isn’t AT we don’t play favorites when things deviate from the OPs topic & turn into an argument, we lock the thread. In this case that wasn’t the first step b/c it’s not fair to the OP. No favoritism I would’ve done the same if you were the OP. Welcome btw , not a bit of this is personal!

I shoot straight from the hip and if I disagree on anything I am not shy to voice my opinion. If that comes off as a bit harsh or abrasive then I apologize in advance, but I hope some of these guys have much thicker skin.

Back