• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

States with traditional blackpowder seasons

ThePennsylvanian

Pennsylvania has a season specifically dedicated to flintlocks. It runs about a month and always starts the day after Xmas. WV just recently started a primitive season that is 3 or 4 days long in the begining of January, and you can use a sidelock (flinter, or precession), recurve or long bow. I lobe both of these seasons, very few people out still, deer are patternable again, sometimes mire so then early season because food is scarce.

That got me wondering, how many states actually have a dedicated flintlock or atleast sidelock muzzleloader season? Do any of you guys hut hard during that season, if you have one?

I've been hunting with a flintlock for 16ish years now. They are a blast to shoot, reliable when you take care of them and know what your doing. Not complicated to learn, takes a little less effort than archery does, with a little practice you can get alot more distance from the smoke pole, over a bow. Lastly they just look sexy, they just look like they want to be in the woods going after deer and other critters, yet can come home and look just as pretty on the wall!

Pennsylvania has a season specifically dedicated to flintlocks. It runs about a month and always starts the day after Xmas. WV just recently started a primitive season that is 3 or 4 days long in the begining of January, and you can use a sidelock (flinter, or precession), recurve or long bow. I lobe both of these seasons, very few people out still, deer are patternable again, sometimes mire so then early season because food is scarce.

That got me wondering, how many states actually have a dedicated flintlock or atleast sidelock muzzleloader season? Do any of you guys hut hard during that season, if you have one?

I've been hunting with a flintlock for 16ish years now. They are a blast to shoot, reliable when you take care of them and know what your doing. Not complicated to learn, takes a little less effort than archery does, with a little practice you can get alot more distance from the smoke pole, over a bow. Lastly they just look sexy, they just look like they want to be in the woods going after deer and other critters, yet can come home and look just as pretty on the wall!
The USFWS has a 2 week flintlock season in January where I hunt in Alabama. My friend usually tries to get out there a bunch with his. This refuge land is archery only the rest of the season. Is there a simple and low cost method to get into a flintlock rifle? There are areas that rut during this same time period so it would be fun to have it as an option.

Is there a simple and low cost method to get into a flintlock rifle?
This site has some at a reasonable price https://muzzle-loaders.com/collections/traditional-muzzleloaders

Though I would shop around some more. These things were not expensive back in the day when traditional was the only option, at least not for a Thompson or Traditions.

I'd almost tell you to look for used, but these things, like todays versions, were highly corrosive. Borescoping the barrel is highly recommended if you go that route.

For me, if someone wanted more than $100 for one they had in the closet, I'd rather pay $300 and get one brand new and have a company with customer service and parts backing it.

We did have a "muzzleloader season" but our primitive rifle is now a joke in poor taste. You can get a new single shot 35 Whelen and put a $2000 scope on it and that is good to go and snipe deer at 500 yards if one is so inclined.

When I was a kid it was muzzle loader, round ball or maxi ball and loose powder. You could use a flintlock or caplock and it was iron sights only. They really got away from the spirit of primitive rifle season. It is a real shame.

I had a couple of Hawken 50 cals growing up. I always wanted a flint lock Pennsylvania or Kentucky long rifle.

"Primitive Weapons" in LA,, MS, etc is just big bore season now. I'd dust off my old percussion rifle again if they'd had a dedicated season to it but don't enjoy it enough to use one again otherwise. Speaking of which, I have a few Encore 209x50 barrels I'd part with if anyone is interested

ML season in MN use to be open sight only but any ignition system. Now, any sight and ignition is allowed.

1/2 the state is shotgun only during rifle season and with modern inlines and bullets, it’s almost better to use that for both seasons.

Me, I like my sidelocks. Ignition and accuracy isn’t an issue and enjoy the nostalgia. There is a rumor though of the state going lead-free for ML. If that happens, I’ll have to get an inline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ML season in MN use to be open sight only but any ignition system. Now, any sight and ignition is allowed.

1/2 the state is shotgun only during rifle season and with modern inlines and bullets, it’s almost better to use that for both seasons.

Me, I like my sidelocks. Ignition and accuracy isn’t an issue and enjoy the nostalgia. There is a rumor though of the state going lead-free for ML. If that happens, I’ll have to get an inline.

Why get an inline, a couple companies make lead free projectiles, ITX rounds balls are ridiculously good and often perform better than lead. I don't shoot round ball out of all of my rifles, I typically hunt shooting the pa conical. I've yet to see a company produce non lead ammo similar to that though.....

I love my flintlocks, but I have an inline, and a caplock and a couple shotguns. I guess I really enjoy blackpowder but I really enjoy my flinters. I bought a White 12ga inline last year, built like a trap gun, perfectly balanced, weighted buttstock, changeable chokes. I have that specifically for turkey but, it quickly became my favorite gun to shoot.....

I have more days in ANF with a flintlock than a rifle. It was my dad's favorite hunting. It'd be nice to have more of a chance at bucks before they drop horns. Sometimes the does aren't does. Or the antlers fall off after the shot.

The USFWS has a 2 week flintlock season in January where I hunt in Alabama. My friend usually tries to get out there a bunch with his. This refuge land is archery only the rest of the season. Is there a simple and low cost method to get into a flintlock rifle? There are areas that rut during this same time period so it would be fun to have it as an option.
You best option is a traditions pa pellet rifle. It allows for the use of modern compress powder pellets, and is the closest you can get to an inline with a flint side lock. Traditions are solidly built, and well worth the money, as they are relatively inexpensive. I say relatively because 400$+ doesn't go very far these days, but flinters can get expensive quickly. I have a tiger walnut Pennsylvania long rifle with a 45" swamped barrel that I had made a few years ago, it was not cheap..... well over 3k.... but I also have a bunch of factory rifles that shoot impressively well and one is even my go to rifle, a traditions hawken woodsman 50! I'm good with that rifle out past 70 yards, I could shoot 100 easy with a solid rest. They are fun to shoot, even more so hunting, easy to learn and look even better.
Just a few of the deer taken with FL:

I have more days in ANF with a flintlock than a rifle. It was my dad's favorite hunting. It'd be nice to have more of a chance at bucks before they drop horns. Sometimes the does aren't does. Or the antlers fall off after the shot.
I have been very fortunate with my late season kills, I haven't killed a a buck altered or not with my FL. I have never had a buck tag left, and I typically don't hunt with other folks during the late season. So I usually get good looks at the deer before I shoot, but I also haven't seen many bucks that she'd already.....

I have been very fortunate with my late season kills, I haven't killed a a buck altered or not with my FL. I have never had a buck tag left, and I typically don't hunt with other folks during the late season. So I usually get good looks at the deer before I shoot, but I also haven't seen many bucks that she'd already.....

Lots of years we never made it to PA for rifle season and only hunted flintlock, so bucks were often on the table. Taking up a track in the snow was a fun thing to do as it was casual hunting and not much of a concern that we'd push deer by other hunters. Where we hunt, we've seen bucks have dropped antlers pretty often. Still, we have a casual approach to it and just enjoy primitive hunting and the mountains that time of year so it's not the end of the world.

I enjoy our flintlock seasons but I do not share your enjoyment of the weapon. I can't stand the things. I shot a few does with mine and missed a dandy buck ~15 years ago. Had many misses, a couple hangfires, and a bunch of sparks with no ignition. It got to the point I just didn't feel comfortable with it as an ethical weapon and now I take my bow in late season. I fully understand that is my proficiency and some guys are deadly with them. We were also usually driving and some of the shots other guys would take were just 100% insane. Flinging lead at running deer with a marginal weapon and praying it connects is not my kinda jam. I give up 50 yards in max range with my bow, but at least I know if it gets inside 30 the deer is most likely dead, and if not it's my fault. I could see myself getting back into flinters and giving them a better go at some point, but I don't have the time or willpower right now.

I used to hunt in flintlock season a lot when I was younger because of all the off time I had after Christmas during high school and college. Killed quite a few with mine too.

However, I haven't even shot mine in the last couple years. As a dad with two young kids, once I get through bow season, gun season, and Christmas obligations I'm pretty burnt out anymore. Most significantly, I really hate cleaning the thing, haha.

If I do venture out after Christmas, I usually opt for the bow these days. Less range, but at the end of the day, I take the arrow off of the rest, stick it in the quiver, and go home to relax. :cool: :p

I was born and raised in Pa but lived a lot of places in my 20s and early 30s. I always made it home to hunt flintlock season. Flintlock is by far my favorite season to hunt deer. However, I have a goal for the amount of deer I put in the freezer and I have been hitting that goal lately so I have not hunted it much in the last few years. I grew up shooting flintlock competitions (not that I was any good at it) and I have on occasions taken out my cap SXS black powder12 gauge or trade gun for birds to help scratch the itch late season when my freezer is full. If you think flintlock deer is tough… grab a trade gun and go grouse hunting… as a matter of fact, I will go with you.

1669837118446.jpeg
1669837175549.jpeg
1669837197929.jpeg

I was born and raised in Pa but lived a lot of places in my 20s and early 30s. I always made it home to hunt flintlock season. Flintlock is by far my favorite season to hunt deer. However, I have a goal for the amount of deer I put in the freezer and I have been hitting that goal lately so I have not hunted it much in the last few years. I grew up shooting flintlock competitions (not that I was any good at it) and I have on occasions taken out my cap SXS black powder12 gauge or trade gun for birds to help scratch the itch late season when my freezer is full. If you think flintlock deer is tough… grab a trade gun and go grouse hunting… as a matter of fact, I will go with you.

View attachment 77057
View attachment 77058
View attachment 77059
She's pretty and I do not care if she is yours, I'ma keep starin.

Why get an inline, a couple companies make lead free projectiles, ITX rounds balls are ridiculously good and often perform better than lead. I don't shoot round ball out of all of my rifles, I typically hunt shooting the pa conical. I've yet to see a company produce non lead ammo similar to that though.....

First I’ve heard of ITX and that does solve the non-toxic issue, if it comes to that but damn, $1/ball is expensive. They better track the same as lead balls because I’m not practicing with them aside for verification.

My favorite conical was a Ball-et which was a round ball with a molded skirt and cavity. No patches and prelubed made them easy to carry and shoot but can’t find them anywhere.

Track of the Wolf is within driving distance and really want to try their Lyman 50cal minne ball.

View attachment 77057
View attachment 77058
View attachment 77059
That my guy is a beautiful piece of iron you got there!!

e9bdcfd67c65f57594cf18f973237e49.jpg

Compared to last saturday, it’s 30 degrees colder before the wind chill

Back