• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Staying warm in a saddle

Oh no...an excuse to describe my layering system......cracks fingers.....

Here are my rules of thumb. Walk in with 1 less layer than you think you need (should feel slightly cold as you leave vehicle) and sit with 1 more layer than you think you need (should feel too warm at first).

WALKING IN AND CLIMBING
I walk in with a light to medium weight jacket, depending upon weather, but it is is often unzipped. I walk in with light to medium bibs, but they are also often vented. Under them, when walking in, I wear 1 light to mid bottom base layer and 1 to 2 light to mid top base layer, depending upon how cold. I want these to breath while walking and I like having 3 of everything, so the base layers and jacket/bibs are all synthetic and not super expensive. I buy base layers from Sierra Trading post on sale and my outerwear is mostly Midwayusa store brand (they basically exactly replicated Under Armour for 1/2 the price). I do have 1 wool under armour mid weight jacket though. On my feet, I wear either uninsulated or 400 gram insulated boots (depending upon weather and distance of walk). For socks, I ALWAYS wear a liner sock (synthetic) and then another sock. I also put antiperspirant on my feet to stave off sweat. When cold, I wear a mid to heavyweight alpaca sock from Warrior Alpaca. On my head, I wear a Stormy Kromer Rancher hat if really cold or a lighter weight ear flap hat if not as cold. Duluth Trading has polar fleece ear flaps that go over any ball cap. Gloves walking in are mid weight whatever, if really cold I have merino glove liners and put Glacier Glove neoprene gloves over them.

When walking in and climbing, you just don't want to sweat.

SITTING IN TREE

In my pack, I have a compression stuff sack that has the side webbing and you can sit on it and pull and really compact it to fit in your pack. In it, depending upon weather, I have up to 4 items: 1. high loft goose down pants from Kuiu, 2. high loft goose down vest from either Eddie Bauer or Sierra Designs, 3. high loft goose down jacket from either Eddie Bauer or Sierra Design, and 4. a Charles River windshirt. I can compact all this down to around the same volume as 2 footballs and it only weighs a few pounds. If cold, I always use several Hot Hands adhesive body warmers. I use up to 4 on my upper body (under both arm pits, front of body, back of body) right on my base layer. I then remove my outer jacket and put on the vest, the jacket, and the windshirt last over all that and then the jacket back on over the windshirt. The goose down pants have full length zips and those go right over my bibs and my saddle. You only see my bridge sticking out once done. I remove my gloves and then put a Hot Hands Super Warmer in each jacket pocket and then keep my hands in there (I don't like to shoot with gloves). For my feet, once in the tree, I put on Arctic Shield boot blankets and I have mesh pouches I sewed into the inside of each right over the top of foot/toe area and a Hot Hands Super Warmer (bigger than hand warmer) goes in each. This happens before my feet get cold. Other than that, I have fleece neck gaiters that I put on to prevent heat loss and help keep my face warm.

I'm tall, slender, used to smoke, and am naturally cold, and with this system, I can sit still for hours in the single digits.

Some will rightly point out that compressing the goose down robs it of some insulation ability. This is correct, but with light/not tight layers, the effect is small enough that I believe high loft goose down is still the warmest thing by weight that is easily available. i could put the goose down over my jacket, but the goose down is not as quiet, and I also get my mid layers on sale which means they are sometimes a bright color. The goose down pants are a little quieter fabric (since from a hunting brand) and noise from your legs just isn't as much of an issue because you aren't drawing with them and it isn't like a tree stand where you have to worry about the noise of your pants on the seat or tree, only noise for me is legs rubbing together.

My system is all about lightweight, not sweating on the way in, and spending my money where I get the most bang for the buck....which I think is with those high loft goose down mid layers.

Last edited:
I'm on the same boat as do the same layering as I would any hunt. It's no different if I'm on a stand, sitting on the the ground or hanging in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm on the same boat as do the same layering as I would any hunt. It's no different if I'm on a stand, sitting on the the ground or hanging in the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Agreed....except in a saddle I find that bibs are mandatory in cold weather. When not in a stand, I can make pants work because the saddle isn't trying to expose my lower back all the time. Also, saddle can get in the way of tucking things as easily as on the ground.

I’m a northern Minnesota deer hunter, I grew up rifle hunting from stands at -10F to 65F, being out all day. Small heater, quilt/sleeping bag, hand warmers, and bibs with a old down jacket was enough.

Last year was my first year bow hunting and saddle hunting. I froze my ass off at 10F to 15F in December, teeth chattering hands frozen cold in 2 hours. I think it was the wind, lack of being in a sleeping bag and bibs did me in. And I’m getting into my 30’s and am less cold tolerate than I was a decade ago.

I was dressed in wool long underwear, Kuiu attack pants, and their puffy synthetic pants over. On top was a Kuiu fleece, Kuiu puffy, and a Kuiu guide shell. I know the Kuiu stuff is better for active use, and I bought it for a Alaska hunt that got postponed. If I was moving at all I’d be fine in that stuff to 0F without issue, but could not sit still without freezing.

I’m looking hard at a Sitka Fanatic set vs just going full wool. My problem with wool is I have some great wool shirts and a set of Korean War era USGI wool pants that work great for rifle season, but I haven’t washed them in a decade, they have the blood stains to prove it. I found my washing method with synthetics worked pretty well, keep deer downwind from losing their **** pretty frequently. Wool is much more of a problem to wash.

Has anyone uses the Sitka Fanatic stuff to 0? What’s your thoughts?

I only have the sitka fanatic jacket. I make sure to have a mid layer hood, as the jacket does not have one. I have the fanatic beanie and gaiter also. The neck gaiter is great, the beanie is huge, and I might get something more compact if doing it over again. The jacket is crazy warm,with the handwarmer pocket being the real deal. As for durability I have only used it for one year and it is already piling on the sleeve that is not covered in the fluff.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

How do you guys stay warm in a saddle?

Everything @Rasins said. Layers, wool, loft, etc. I've used milsurp poncho liners - 'woobies' - and sleeping bags, in stands and on the ground, but those aren't likely options in the saddle.

Also it would be helpful if you put your location in your profile. One, it's valuable context for a question like this - MN muzzleleoader season gets a lot colder than Arizona early archery. Two, there might be another member close by who could help you out over a beer or two.

One very important part of the layering system, whether you use wool or synthetic, is to make sure the first layer contacting your skin is thin.
The thin layer will transport the moisture away from your skin quicker than thicker material.
The less moisture residing on your body the warmer you will be, for long sits.
I have noticed quite a bit of difference since using this technique.

One very important part of the layering system, whether you use wool or synthetic, is to make sure the first layer contacting your skin is thin.
The thin layer will transport the moisture away from your skin quicker than thicker material.
The less moisture residing on your body the warmer you will be, for long sits.
I have noticed quite a bit of difference since using this technique.

good call

i'll sometimes wear 2 thin liner socks in early season (partly because it makes blisters a thing of the past since the inner liner acts like a big piece of moleskin)

I’m a northern Minnesota deer hunter, I grew up rifle hunting from stands at -10F to 65F, being out all day. Small heater, quilt/sleeping bag, hand warmers, and bibs with a old down jacket was enough.

Last year was my first year bow hunting and saddle hunting. I froze my ass off at 10F to 15F in December, teeth chattering hands frozen cold in 2 hours. I think it was the wind, lack of being in a sleeping bag and bibs did me in. And I’m getting into my 30’s and am less cold tolerate than I was a decade ago.

I was dressed in wool long underwear, Kuiu attack pants, and their puffy synthetic pants over. On top was a Kuiu fleece, Kuiu puffy, and a Kuiu guide shell. I know the Kuiu stuff is better for active use, and I bought it for a Alaska hunt that got postponed. If I was moving at all I’d be fine in that stuff to 0F without issue, but could not sit still without freezing.

I’m looking hard at a Sitka Fanatic set vs just going full wool. My problem with wool is I have some great wool shirts and a set of Korean War era USGI wool pants that work great for rifle season, but I haven’t washed them in a decade, they have the blood stains to prove it. I found my washing method with synthetics worked pretty well, keep deer downwind from losing their **** pretty frequently. Wool is much more of a problem to wash.

Has anyone uses the Sitka Fanatic stuff to 0? What’s your thoughts?

Down to 0 and you'll likely want a good mid layer and warm base layer with the Fanatic Jacket. My combo for that scenario is Fanatic Jacket, Kelvin vest (or any good puffy vest), and Sitka Core Heavyweight base layer top. When it approaches 0, I go for the Incinerator bibs and a base layer bottom (I've stuck with wool here, old 1st Lite, because they roll up small). The Incinerator bibs are les bulky and a tad warmer than the Fanatic. I pack the neck gaiter mentioned by @kobudo, and it helps with drafts. I wear a scentlok mask with a fleece beanie overtop and fleece flip top mittens, using the kangaroo pocket and hand warmers most of the time. Heavyweight wool or wool Alpaca socks.

I usually have a hike, so none of that gets worn in, I change from head to toe when I get to my spot.

I use the EV1 Fanatic jacket, it has a zip off hood. It is also more durable imo than the newer Fanatic line. I wish they never changed materials. Not that the new jacket isn't nice, but I preferred the original build. They also changed the fit. I've an EV2 with tags on it that's sized too big for me so it sits in a Scentlok box until I get fat(er) or move it on. The older Fanatic could have been more generously sized. The newer is much more true to size which imo is an improvement.

There is a whole thread on woolens, and I've not tried everything, but I've had some heavyweight wool and ultimately have been warmer on stand with synthetic outerwear.

I agree with sweat management being critical. My solution is to hike in as light as possible and change. I'm t-shirt light, and stay warm by going fast. Probably not for everyone. It's a cold start so your crap better be ready when you jump out of your vehicle. But I'm in warm dry clothes for the hunt.

I picked up a sleeveless union suit a couple years ago. Helps to kill any drafts from the typical jacket and pants combos.

Down to 0 and you'll likely want a good mid layer and warm base layer with the Fanatic Jacket. My combo for that scenario is Fanatic Jacket, Kelvin vest (or any good puffy vest), and Sitka Core Heavyweight base layer top. When it approaches 0, I go for the Incinerator bibs and a base layer bottom (I've stuck with wool here, old 1st Lite, because they roll up small). The Incinerator bibs are les bulky and a tad warmer than the Fanatic. I pack the neck gaiter mentioned by @kobudo, and it helps with drafts. I wear a scentlok mask with a fleece beanie overtop and fleece flip top mittens, using the kangaroo pocket and hand warmers most of the time. Heavyweight wool or wool Alpaca socks.

I usually have a hike, so none of that gets worn in, I change from head to toe when I get to my spot.

I use the EV1 Fanatic jacket, it has a zip off hood. It is also more durable imo than the newer Fanatic line. I wish they never changed materials. Not that the new jacket isn't nice, but I preferred the original build. They also changed the fit. I've an EV2 with tags on it that's sized too big for me so it sits in a Scentlok box until I get fat(er) or move it on. The older Fanatic could have been more generously sized. The newer is much more true to size which imo is an improvement.

There is a whole thread on woolens, and I've not tried everything, but I've had some heavyweight wool and ultimately have been warmer on stand with synthetic outerwear.

I agree with sweat management being critical. My solution is to hike in as light as possible and change. I'm t-shirt light, and stay warm by going fast. Probably not for everyone. It's a cold start so your crap better be ready when you jump out of your vehicle. But I'm in warm dry clothes for the hunt.

Thank you for the reply. I’ve done the walk in light, last winter I’d drive in my baselayer/jeans/fleece and then change to my midlayers at the truck and then walk. No joke about being ready to go.

I think I’ll buy the fanatic jacket at least. If you had to buy one, would you buy the incinerator or fanatic bibs?

Thank you for the reply. I’ve done the walk in light, last winter I’d drive in my baselayer/jeans/fleece and then change to my midlayers at the truck and then walk. No joke about being ready to go.

I think I’ll buy the fanatic jacket at least. If you had to buy one, would you buy the incinerator or fanatic bibs?

I like Incinerator bibs for the cold weather it sounds like you've got. Mainly due to being less bulky and warmer. They have a true Gore-tex waterproof membrane, not Gore-tex Infinium, so they are a bit noisier build comparatively, but quiet enough imo. I wish they had a zipper flap, otherwise I've no criticisms of mine.

However, it appears Sitka isn't making the garment with the same down blend Primaloft anymore. The "Synthetic Primaloft Gold" insulation they now use sounds a lot like the Primaloft Gold Eco insulation Patagonia uses. Honestly, I'm not sure how that compares to the down blend for warmth or value. Maybe someone has used the old and new versions and can comment.

There are lots of ways to cut this cake. But I do like the Fanatic jacket. I'd probably look at Rivers West Ambush bibs if I was thinking of Fanatic bibs, but I see they changed their fleece, so maybe they aren't what the used to be.

I wear the same layered clothing system hunting from a treestand or a saddle.

Back