• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stealth Strip my Ropeman 1?

Bama_Xander

Has anyone stealth stripped their Ropeman 1? It is probably not necessary but so is half the stuff we do as hunters. I have read that deer see blue colors really well. Mine happens to be a blue Ropeman 1 so I was thinking of stealth stripping it. If you have stealth stripped your ropeman one, please post a photo or share if you didn't like it and removed it. Thanks for any input!

I'd like to see this as well. I stealth stripped my Kong duck and it turned into a mess. Had to clean it with alcohol and was such a pain I won't do it again and I stealth strip almost anything I can. I'm just going to color the outside with a paint marker and call it good. Mine is green but I just want to get rid of the shine

Get a coozie or something to cover it if you are paranoid about visibilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut the toe out of a brown dress sock and slide it down over the top of it once tethered in.

I would hesitate to put any type of tape cloth on a rope man for fear that it could get pulled into the inner mechanisms and prevent it from gripping the rope correctly.

My advice, is to tape off all the inner mechanisms REALLY well, and then lightly hit the rope man with some flat primer gray or some flat desert tan. This will knock off the shine a bit and not give the device any material to potentially fail with.

I would hesitate to put any type of tape cloth on a rope man for fear that it could get pulled into the inner mechanisms and prevent it from gripping the rope correctly.

My advice, is to tape off all the inner mechanisms REALLY well, and then lightly hit the rope man with some flat primer gray or some flat desert tan. This will knock off the shine a bit and not give the device any material to potentially fail with.

Yea, I think my plan now is to do nothing, especially since it is a pivotal part of the system. It's small and I'm up in the tree. If I feel like it causes me to get picked off in a hunt, then I will address it. I have to belive the human-sized object (even in camo) will be more of a disruption than the golf ball-sized blue Ropeman.

I may also use a Prussik instead for added safety and that would negate the issue of the blue Ropeman totally.

Ummmm not everything needs to be camo. They are so small I really do not see it being an issue. I would think you would want to do it for noise but even then not sure it makes that big of a difference.

I decided not to do anything to mine. I know they're a little shiny and bright, but my thinking if a deer sees that and not the huge blob hanging from the saddle, it's just not my day. I like how they look from the factory, too. They're cool.

I have two. One for my linesman and one for my bridge. The newest one I got off of amazon and was able to select black. That was a solid perk. The other one which is older is gold. They’re both too shiny in my book. But I figure, if a deer gets close enough to see my Ropeman, I’ve either decided not to shoot or I missed my opportunity.

I have two. One for my linesman and one for my bridge. The newest one I got off of amazon and was able to select black. That was a solid perk. The other one which is older is gold. They’re both too shiny in my book. But I figure, if a deer gets close enough to see my Ropeman, I’ve either decided not to shoot or I missed my opportunity.

Got both a 1 and a 2 stealth stripped. No problems . My buddy did her could see the shiny ropeman 2 last year from 200 yards. Now, maybe it was just the sun. But if they see straps blowing in the wind.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190830-173452.png
    Screenshot_20190830-173452.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 117
Got both a 1 and a 2 stealth stripped. No problems . My buddy did her could see the shiny ropeman 2 last year from 200 yards. Now, maybe it was just the sun. But if they see straps blowing in the wind.
Sorry. Autocorrect. My buddy said he could see the ropemans from 200 yards

Did a search for this exact issue, thanks for the post. I think mine are too shiny as well. I'm assuming these are water proof? Has anyone had their Ropemans hydro dipped?

One of the issues with anything you do to the colored side of the ropeman is the carabiner riding through the opening wears anything off. I would personally pass on stealth stripping them, once that stuff starts to come off it’s a mess. I like the paint pen idea, or just shoot them with some drab primer on the outside & reapply when it flakes...

I would think deer might be wary of blue colors at eye level, but looking up 1/3 of the year and they see blue sky. They might be dumb enough to register the blue as a patch of sky.

Submerging ropeman might make it squeak if any grease comes off of the bearings or friction points.

I would think deer might be wary of blue colors at eye level, but looking up 1/3 of the year and they see blue sky. They might be dumb enough to register the blue as a patch of sky.

Submerging ropeman might make it squeak if any grease comes off of the bearings or friction points.

I think in my case it was the sun reflecting off the orange coating, not necessarily the color. Now I tuck my lineman's back in a pouch, do it's not an issue.

Back