• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sterling oplux question

Coathanger15

So I got myself some oplux from DanO and just cut off a section for my tether. I had a hard time melting the cut end. The core eventually got solid but the jacket just burnt Anyone have any suggestions? Should I use a torch instead of a lighter? Is this normal? What do you all use?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Lside note I love the size to strength ratio. Think it will work well.

I ordered same from Dan but in length I needed, it came with ends sealed. Think I recall him saying he cuts it with a heated rope knife, not possitive.

Yep, if you don't have a hot knife rope cutter, order it in the lengths you want. I'll cut to size as long as you don't ask me to cut 20 different sections for you. That stuff cuts slow even on my cutter.

Alternatively, do like @elk yinzer says and heat an old butter knife over a propane stove/torch to glowing red and cut it. It will seal as it cuts. May need a couple passes.

Thank you all for the tips. I will try the hot knife trick and get back to you.

I'm not sure on the second figure 8 @tmattson I always just used a stopper knot in the past but may give it a try and see if I like it. Being tied in twice is obviously a plus but I always felt perfectly safe with one conection.

My process has been to wrap tight in duct tape, then cut with bolt cutters (finish up with scissors if necessary), then hit with a torch. But it looks like @Red Beard gets a cleaner finish than I usually do, I may try that.

So I got myself some oplux from DanO and just cut off a section for my tether. I had a hard time melting the cut end. The core eventually got solid but the jacket just burnt Anyone have any suggestions? Should I use a torch instead of a lighter? Is this normal? What do you all use?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Lside note I love the size to strength ratio. Think it will work well.
As soon as you cut it pinch the end and wrap it with black electricians tape good an d tight. I was having the same issue and got pissed so I went to the tape.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wrap it with tape and then just cut through the tape.
Oh yeah, I wish I would have thought of doing it that way. Much better than trying to hold together and then wrapping it. I'll remember this for next time

Oh yeah, I wish I would have thought of doing it that way. Much better than trying to hold together and then wrapping it. I'll remember this for next time

Leave the tape on while you are melting the end. I don't know if Oplux will melt. The Technora or aramid blends are heat resistant so they mostly char.

I cut mine by wrapping with electrical tape and using a box cutter/razor blade heated over the bbq grill flame. Just the blade, not the whole knife. Use gloves. End of the rope is solid.

Back