• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sterling Oplux vs. Teufelberger Resc Tech 8mm

Nearly the same, the difference in break strength has to do with the size of the inner polypropylene core, the larger it is the weaker. PMI Ropes makes one also called the Dura-Shield Explorer, that is in the middle of the other two in break strength.

How about flexibility and space it would take up in a dump pouch?

Polypropylene is somewhat stiff, so the RescTech is slightly stiffer from what others report.

I’m interested to know how resc tech works for rappelling when wet. Oplux gets very jumpy when wet and rappelling with a safeguard. Haven’t had a chance to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polypropylene is somewhat stiff, so the RescTech is slightly stiffer from what others report.
Having held both I wouldn't have known the difference unless I was told. I have the rescue tech and have used for a season. I had some chaffing on the sheath up around my knots for loop. I untied and retied everything at the other end of the rope. The spots where the knots were now do not pass pinch test. U can feel the core deformed and it folds over easy. It's at the end of the rope so I am not worried but I found it intersting. Order longer than u think so u can cut those bad spots out later and still have good usable length.....I don't repel with any mechanism so can comment on wet rope with a gizmo....if rappelling with a monster munter and the rope gets wet u can get away with just a regular munter because when wet the rope seems to create more friction and bite harder

I’m interested to know how resc tech works for rappelling when wet. Oplux gets very jumpy when wet and rappelling with a safeguard. Haven’t had a chance to test.

I guess I will find out soon. That's what I will be using 40ft of resc tech with the safeguard....Works great when dry, thats for sure.

I switched to resc tech (from Sterling 9mm HTP) last season and have rappelled in all conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry, icy) and haven't experienced any major issues. Rappelling on a wet rope with a safeguard can be a little jumpy but can be mitigated by balancing pressure between your lever hand and your brake hand, it's a learned skill.

Having held both I wouldn't have known the difference unless I was told. I have the rescue tech and have used for a season. I had some chaffing on the sheath up around my knots for loop. I untied and retied everything at the other end of the rope. The spots where the knots were now do not pass pinch test. U can feel the core deformed and it folds over easy. It's at the end of the rope so I am not worried but I found it intersting. Order longer than u think so u can cut those bad spots out later and still have good usable length.....I don't repel with any mechanism so can comment on wet rope with a gizmo....if rappelling with a monster munter and the rope gets wet u can get away with just a regular munter because when wet the rope seems to create more friction and bite harder

Do you think that is normal wear on those knotted areas that didn't pass the pinch test? I.E. after a season of good hard use that portion of the rope should be retired, cut off and knots retied a few feet up?

Do you think that is normal wear on those knotted areas that didn't pass the pinch test? I.E. after a season of good hard use that portion of the rope should be retired, cut off and knots retied a few feet up?
Yeah....all I did was tie the knot, hunted a season, untied, and it needs to be cut out. I didn't do anything crazy. Everything u said is correct. I was real surprised...I think the packability is worth it thou....

Yeah....all I did was tie the knot, hunted a season, untied, and it needs to be cut out. I didn't do anything crazy. Everything u said is correct. I was real surprised...I think the packability is worth it thou....

Interesting. Ok I just untied my oplulx tether I've been using for over a year (50-60 hunts). The rope within figure 8 knot did NOT pass the pinch test. Does this truly mean the core of the rope is cashed out right there?! Or maybe this just means the weight rating is greatly decreased? Also did the same on my oplux lineman rope, which has significantly less load on it and had the same failed pinch test results. Hmm........ glad you posted that @Weldabeast I think this is SUPER important for folks to know.

I'm just going to keep cutting out the bad until it's too short, then look for a better alternative. I was really surprised that it was like that....I also have 9mm black htp and I've rappelled with it just as much as the rescue tech and it's core is still fine...but it doesn't pack as nice....oh well

Interesting. Ok I just untied my oplulx tether I've been using for over a year (50-60 hunts). The rope within figure 8 knot did NOT pass the pinch test. Does this truly mean the core of the rope is cashed out right there?! Or maybe this just means the weight rating is greatly decreased? Also did the same on my oplux lineman rope, which has significantly less load on it and had the same failed pinch test results. Hmm........ glad you posted that @Weldabeast I think this is SUPER important for folks to know.
Interesting you guys mention this now. I just retired a one-year-old Oplux tether with a sewn eye. It no longer passed the pinch test at the end of the eye where the girth hitch passes through.

So I don't use oplux or resc tech and don't have a dog in this fight. I also don't want to kick off one of the multi-page flame wars that have uncharacteristically/unfortunately become part of the site.

However, I vaguely recall reading that these ropes were designed for contingency/emergency use and that as a result there were some questions about whether the durability was suitable for saddle hunting. Is it possible that failing the pinch test after repeated use supports that possibility?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

So I don't use oplux or resc tech and don't have a dog in this fight. I also don't want to kick off one of the multi-page flame wars that have uncharacteristically/unfortunately become part of the site.

However, I vaguely recall reading that these ropes were designed for contingency/emergency use and that as a result there were some questions about whether the durability was suitable for saddle hunting. Is it possible that failing the pinch test after repeated use supports that possibility?

Live and learn.....I'll get 2 or 3 more seasons outta my rope and either go back to the htp rope I got or buy a better alternative. What really sucks is the saddles that are built with it as a bridge or whatever....I don't pay much attention to the way they are constructed so I just assume it's a little more involved the just tying and fig8 or equivalent like on a tether

It sure does pack good.....hahahaha

I think you're probably correct.

Back