• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick attachment?

BuckeyeBowman

Just joined as you can see and my Cruzr xc should be in this week. Just dropped some serious coin on the saddle so I’m going with the 20” hawk helium sticks. Should I get rid of the oem straps and go daisy chain or keep the oem for now. Be kind on the newbie please, I ain’t made of money

After reading and watching a lot of reviews, think I’ll get the Backwoods adjustable versa aider too. Your thoughts on that too would be much appreciated. Thank you, Adam

I always like to give the stock options a fair try first. Might as well...already paid for it. Otherwise, I won't ever know how much the upgrade really helped me, or if it was even needed at all.

Daisy chains has my vote over stock straps. The metal buckles on stock straps add weight, can make noise, and the straps aren't long enough for a lot of trees around here. I went one time with stock straps and then immediately switched to daisy chains and have no regrets. I'm made my own - 7', 8', 9' & 10'. Not that expensive if you wait for sales.

100% with @Spartan. That said

As far as attachment methods, It might depend on how you want to climb too. I personally like Daisy chains but they're a big no go for one/no sticking, for me. If climbing one/no stick the cam buckle is easiest for me.

Multiple sticks I like a daisy chain.

I would just suggest trying different methods and see which ones fit how you climb. What is going to be your climbing method? As I'm sure you already know, there are many different ways to climb. I currently use the one stick method. I still use the standard strap that came with my sticks. All I did was modify one stick and put a platform on the top step. Welcome to the rabbit hole my friend. If you have any questions let me know. I'm happy to help

My Hawk sticks came with daisy chain webbing straps. They work just fine.

Agree with the above... give the stock straps a chance... if u don't like em move on...I made amsteel rope mods and will stick with that but no use spending extra money if you don't mind the buckles

I like my daisy chains with trucker hitch i believe they call it. That being said I think i’m going to pull the trigger on some Ultimate Stick Attachments from the Amsteel Guy. They seem like the might be a little quicker and less fiddly going up the tree. Somebody talk me out of them so I can save some money!

Daisy chains if you hunt bedding. If not then buckles are fine. They weigh more but the real issue is the risk of noise.

So for that reason daisy chains excel for bed hunters and morning hunts where you are setting up in low light

Daisy chains using the truckers hitch method is the only thing I'll use. I cannot emphasize the importance enough of having no slack in the line. With almost any stick, kickout becomes completely eliminated. A daisy chain used the regular way has far too much slack.

Save your money by adding the prusik yourself! At least you'll know if you like it before you buy anything. I personally don't care for friction hitches I'm amsteel but lots of folks seem too

I should offer real insight.

The USA as advertised is marginally better than a daisy chain that was attached at 45 and rotated. It is less fiddle factor, but not much in tightness.

As a truckers hitch, it's pretty sweet but there's still some fiddle.

The issue is your needing to push the prusik away while trying to pull the line tighter and it's a bit of a battle. Hopefully that makes sense. If not ask away!

I use the USA as a truckers hitch and love it. I had been doing the daisy chain truckers hitch, but the USA is much easier to feed the tag end through the prusik loop and pull tight, vs. a loop in the daisy chain (especially with gloves on). I use this method for my sticks as well as platform.

I like amsteel rope mod. Daisy chains seemed sketchy to me…. And the standard straps are heavier and potentially noisy. If you go with daisy chains, look into the above mentioned methods for tying them, that may change things.

i like daisy chains for versatility

you can:

1. use them like a classic daisy chain
2. wrap them like a rope mod and even finish with a loop on the post instead of a half hitch
and
3. trucker's hitch them, which is extremely stable

also, the strands in the links seem to spread out and grab the bark a bit more

Back