• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stick build

dalton916

SH Member
@DanO double steps and offset brackets. 20” between steps, 22” OAL.

e0b81b2f10778365811bbca90c7c0c9f.jpg

e3f9d6c03c1bb3216dfe73f49c517ce1.jpg

Loomnum was free (would’ve been the cheapest component anyway). Those standoffs (size 14....I need all the room I can get for my feet) are $18/ea and the double steps are $12/ea. Versa button was $8ish so I quest we’re looking at just shy of $70. You could knock $20 off the cost of that if you have normal sized feet by using LW standoffs.

P.S. the stick is 1” square 1/8” wall 6061

With the stick being 1/8” wall I could probably take a LOT of it out with holes to lighten it, but it’s just not that heavy. And I one stick climb so it’s really not that heavy.

I like your sticks, but after reviewing the cost of a DIY custom build, I would have almost double the cost of a store bought stick. What is the benefit of DIY sticks when it cost almost twice as much? I know you are able to customize to your liking, but most post on here are mods to LW that has been cut down, whats is the advantages?

There’s not a lot of benefits other than to say you did it yourself.

Unless...you don’t like single steps so you buy double steps. Now you’ve added $24 plus shipping to the cost of you store bought sticks.

Unless you have gigantic feet and you buy larger offsets. Now you’ve added $36 plus shipping to the cost of your store bought sticks.

Chances are great now that the add-ons you’ve put on your store bought sticks have doubled the cost of your store bought sticks.

I could have cut down the Lone Wolf sticks that I have and added the larger standoffs and double steps and had basically the same product (except I believe the LW sticks are 1/16” wall), but my aluminum was free so why not use it and make a completely knew stick? This also allows me to sell the LW sticks (which, BTW, are in the TP for a negotiable price of $180 TYD...). Or I could just keep them around in case someone needs to borrow them.

There’s not a lot of benefits other than to say you did it yourself.

Unless...you don’t like single steps so you buy double steps. Now you’ve added $24 plus shipping to the cost of you store bought sticks.

Unless you have gigantic feet and you buy larger offsets. Now you’ve added $36 plus shipping to the cost of your store bought sticks.

Chances are great now that the add-ons you’ve put on your store bought sticks have doubled the cost of your store bought sticks.

I could have cut down the Lone Wolf sticks that I have and added the larger standoffs and double steps and had basically the same product (except I believe the LW sticks are 1/16” wall), but my aluminum was free so why not use it and make a completely knew stick? This also allows me to sell the LW sticks (which, BTW, are in the TP for a negotiable price of $180 TYD...). Or I could just keep them around in case someone needs to borrow them.

I appreciate your feedback. I have been looking on here to see what everyone else was doing for their climbing methods, and looked into a custom build for myself, but cost wise was outside my budget, so I just wait for sales on websites and then change out to the desired double steps when I can. I like the idea of 1/8th inside wall for stability, that is huge for a big guy! What do you think the weight limit is for your steps, better than LW?

I would say it’s noticeably greater than a Factory LW.

Have you tried the one stick climbing method?

Using one stick definitely makes the cost of DIY more palatable.

DIY also allows you to customize step length, component placement, etc to get exactly what you want and the exact fit you want.

DIY also allows you to customize step length, component placement, etc to get exactly what you want and the exact fit you want.
Well said...... that is the best part of DIY is that manufactured sticks fit everybody but you! My legs are too short for a lone wolf stick or even a @dalton916 stick my boots are good with a regular stand off etc......plus my DIY sticks cost 70.00 but the feeling while carrying them at 1.5 lbs and the pride when climbing......priceless!

I hear ya man. I’m dalton916’s short friend..he makes me a stick with 22” between steps I’ll hit him with it..lol

After blowing out my quads for years on single LW steps, I shifted to heliums. Still a pain in the butt to negotiate thru brush. Cut the heliums to 24", built some DIY 24" with Doublesteps and a pivot feature. Much better. The DIY were about the same price as dalton916's, but way easier to hang than the single step sticks. Now that my platform is about 3-4 lbs, and tiny (predator or XOP seat), easy day thru the bushes. Whatever makes you happy!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190228-201441.png
    Screenshot_20190228-201441.png
    2 MB · Views: 15
I hear ya on customizing your own sticks. and am starting to think building your own is something I would do anyway, I am a often looking at. ew ideas for my gear, so question with double steps are you going to paint them, and would you drill holes in them like beast sticks to save more weight, or would that hurt the strength of the pole??

Dalton916 if you don't mind me asking where did you source the steps and offset brackets from

I looked at doublesteps.com / onlinemetals.com/ lonewolfhuntingproducts.com

Back