• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticks for Big Dudes

Spence71

I'm sure there are giants here in the saddle-hunting world. A quick search was useless. Buddy of mine is looking at this stuff and he's about 6'7, 300+gear. Saddles and ropes are easy enough...but what sticks (beginner level price). i know beasts are rated for 300, hawks gotta be less than that. What options should we be looking at.? Thanks

Wild edge stepps might be a good option for big fellas. Assuming you can get your feet on them comfortably, there won’t be anything close to as solid on the tree for ya.

rapid rails are what all my 300+lb crew uses. They ain’t light, but neither are the fellas climbing them.

Rapid rails are dope, a little noisy and awkward and heavy though. I’m close to 300 with gear and I’ve used hawks with no issue. Bent one but that wasn’t because of weight, I set it into a knot on the tree

With that size avoid anything that has steps that pivot, rotate etc. you’re gonna want fixed stuff so beast, EWO, etc. beginner level price is gonna be tough but haunt the classifieds you might get lucky. Also if you’re on AT check there, I’ve been seeing TONS of saddle gear in the classifieds as people dabble and dump.

I use a Shikar mini with flat scout on top and a Backwoods mobile gear 3 step aider, and one-stick up. I am 250+ no problems

Forgot to mention aiders. If’n he goes that route definitely want something robust. My vote goes to backwoods mobile.

I'm sure there are giants here in the saddle-hunting world. A quick search was useless. Buddy of mine is looking at this stuff and he's about 6'7, 300+gear. Saddles and ropes are easy enough...but what sticks (beginner level price). i know beasts are rated for 300, hawks gotta be less than that. What options should we be looking at.? Thanks
You can check out XOP sticks rated for 350#. I wouldn’t get the single steps. I made that mistake and didn’t like the one step. They make a smaller sticks that has double steps now.

I’m 6’5, 240, size 14W boot. I have the beast sticks and have no issues. I’ve tried the timber ninjas, and Shikars and stuck with the beast sticks. You can always call the companies direct also and talk to them and see what they say.

The biggest thing is going to be distance of the stick from the tree for his big ol feet. The Beast sticks will definitely be great for that. I’ve made all of my own sticks using @DanO standoffs and from the looks of them they are comparable in offset to the Beast Sticks.

The biggest thing is going to be distance of the stick from the tree for his big ol feet. The Beast sticks will definitely be great for that. I’ve made all of my own sticks using @DanO standoffs and from the looks of them they are comparable in offset to the Beast Sticks.
I completely agree with the standoff comment. That makes a huge difference. I much prefer the DanO standoffs and XOP standoffs. I thought the beast sticks were amazing, but the standoffs were too small for me.

I completely agree with the standoff comment. That makes a huge difference. I much prefer the DanO standoffs and XOP standoffs. I thought the beast sticks were amazing, but the standoffs were too small for me.

Good to hear. I haven’t used Beast sticks, but appearance wise they looked like they would be comparable. Thanks for the input!

Good to hear. I haven’t used Beast sticks, but appearance wise they looked like they would be comparable. Thanks for the input!

Beast sticks sport one of the shorter standoffs on the market, about 3.25" to the outside of the step.

Wow, they sure don’t look that way in pictures.

LW and Muddy are both too close to the tree for me. All mine have EWO standoffs and they give all kinds of room for my big feet.

Wow, they sure don’t look that way in pictures.

LW and Muddy are both too close to the tree for me. All mine have EWO standoffs and they give all kinds of room for my big feet.

83AE479B-9B6F-47F8-A379-2C4ECA9A07D5.png

Back