• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Sticky Spurs

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
Does anyone else have issues removing spurs while climbing?

I have Climb right tree gaffs and on most the trees I climb they are really tough to remove. Is there something I can do to make it easier? Smaller steps maybe?

Are you jamming the spurs into the tree? Mine come out pretty easily unless its a pretty soft bark tree. All you really have to do is put your spur against the tree and step up

Sounds like you are forcing the gaff too deep. Unless climbing very thick bark trees or using dull gaffs very little force is required. Also driving the gaff at a forward angle into the tree instead of the proper downward angle will sometimes make a gaff stick.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have the same struggle. Interested in the answer to this question. This is probably one of the main reasons I don't use my Spurs all the time...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Spurs take lots of practice! Getting comfortable and trusting yourself and the spurs is something that takes time. One of the first mistakes all beginning climbers make is overpowering the step! Light short steps and allowing your body weight to "seat" the gaff is all thats needed.

Are you jamming the spurs into the tree? Mine come out pretty easily unless its a pretty soft bark tree. All you really have to do is put your spur against the tree and step up
Sounds like you are forcing the gaff too deep. Unless climbing very thick bark trees or using dull gaffs very little force is required. Also driving the gaff at a forward angle into the tree instead of the proper downward angle will sometimes make a gaff stick.

I am literally putting the gaff against the tree and stepping up. No pushing in whatsoever. I’m getting too much traction there is absolutely no need to force them in.

I’m thinking it’s a form issue or maybe the type of tree. Admittedly, tree identification is not my strong suit. I’m going to use one of those apps to catalog if it’s the type of tree.

I am literally putting the gaff against the tree and stepping up. No pushing in whatsoever. I’m getting too much traction there is absolutely no need to force them in.

I’m thinking it’s a form issue or maybe the type of tree. Admittedly, tree identification is not my strong suit. I’m going to use one of those apps to catalog if it’s the type of tree.
Only trees I've ever had trouble with are soft thick barked tree like cottonwoods. Tree gaffs just seem to bury in those with no force applied other than body weight! Makes removing them challenging. In my area of southeast Mo, oaks, ash, hickory and elms dominate our woodlands. Those are typically trouble free trees to climb. As an old arborist told me the three t's to climbing were technique, technique, technique! Lol. Keeping your lower legs and gaff shanks parallel to the tree and your back straight are the two biggest keys to good technique. If your knees flare in or away from the tree you risk gaffing out or over gaffing the tree!

Only trees I've ever had trouble with are soft thick barked tree like cottonwoods. Tree gaffs just seem to bury in those with no force applied other than body weight! Makes removing them challenging. In my area of southeast Mo, oaks, ash, hickory and elms dominate our woodlands. Those are typically trouble free trees to climb. As an old arborist told me the three t's to climbing were technique, technique, technique! Lol. Keeping your lower legs and gaff shanks parallel to the tree and your back straight are the two biggest keys to good technique. If your knees flare in or away from the tree you risk gaffing out or over gaffing the tree!

I think you nailed it. My angle going in is too big (knees out). So you’re supposed to have your legs parallel with the tree? Can your knees be touching the tree? I think I started this bad technique after some gaff outs.

Knee should be straight over the foot. Kinda like when climbing a ladder. The spur, as in the spike at the bottom of the gaffs, should be made with an angle toward the tree already. So when u step directly downward it bites into the tree. If your knees are outward the spurs will be nearly perpendicular to the tree causing hard removal from the tree and and terribly uncomfortable climbs. Knees inward cause the spur to angle out of the tree causing gaff outs and miss gaffs. Needless to say inward knees create bad situations for climbers. I've seen miss gaffs that caused puncture wounds in feet and calves and gaff outs at anything above head height are eye openers to be sure. The most common errors new climbers make are staying too close to the tree, if that makes sense. In other words dont try hugging the tree. Easiest way to learn is going DRT for awhile. Throw a rope over a low lying limb in your yard, hook up to yoir saddle with a blakes hitch and go up and down until you get comfortable with the whole process. Easier to do on the rope than trying to learn with a linesman belt when just starting out.

Knee should be straight over the foot. Kinda like when climbing a ladder. The spur, as in the spike at the bottom of the gaffs, should be made with an angle toward the tree already. So when u step directly downward it bites into the tree. If your knees are outward the spurs will be nearly perpendicular to the tree causing hard removal from the tree and and terribly uncomfortable climbs. Knees inward cause the spur to angle out of the tree causing gaff outs and miss gaffs. Needless to say inward knees create bad situations for climbers. I've seen miss gaffs that caused puncture wounds in feet and calves and gaff outs at anything above head height are eye openers to be sure. The most common errors new climbers make are staying too close to the tree, if that makes sense. In other words dont try hugging the tree. Easiest way to learn is going DRT for awhile. Throw a rope over a low lying limb in your yard, hook up to yoir saddle with a blakes hitch and go up and down until you get comfortable with the whole process. Easier to do on the rope than trying to learn with a linesman belt when just starting out.

Thanks, I’ve been using them for a year and half now but obviously I’ve got bad form.

Thanks, I’ve been using them for a year and half now but obviously I’ve got bad form.
Look into DRT climbing while practicing. I cant stress enough the peace of mind being tied in overhead brings. Makes a BIG difference in getting proper form ingrained early on.

Short steps with your toes turned out and step down into the tree not kicking the gaffs in.There is a balance point you need to find while climbing.You should be standing over your hooks and not leaning way back in your belt.That being said you don’t want to be too close.If your gaffs are sticking just roll your toes in toward the tree as you pull the gaff out.It sounds like your steps could be a little to big not giving you a good range of motion to pull them.It shouldn’t be quite so hard.Keep practicing

Back