• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stocking my pantry

huntin_addict

Ok y'all, after a couple of requests, figured I would share my process for stocking up the pantry for the winter.

Let me start with this disclaimer: You should always do your own research prior to pressure canning to determine if what you are making is safe.

Ok, now that I have that out of the way, I'm doing a nice big batch of venison chili (I should get 16+ pints out of it). When I make a batch of anything and can it, the process is usually 2 afternoons / evenings with the first half being food prep.

Tonite my recipe is linked in the attached .pdf (with a couple of minor additions / changes which I will add as well):
I substituted 3 lbs of straight ground venison for beef
I added fresh mushrooms at the last 5-10 minutes.
I added 3-4 tbsp sugar (I like sweet with heat)
I subtracted 12 oz water and added 1 beer
20201223_175510.jpg20201223_174240.jpg

Bring all to simmer for approx. 5-10 minutes, remove from heat and let cool. This is where step 2 begins. I will refrigerate over night and then pressure can tomorrow. The chili (or whatever you are canning, will finish cooking in the jars, so don't overcook (hence the mushrooms going it right at the end).

Tomorrow I'll go over the second half of my process and share the final outcome with you fine folks on Christmas morning.

Attachments

• Canned Venison Chili.pdf
    51.1 KB · Views: 28
Alright guys, sorry I didn't post the second half of my process yesterday, I got a little tied up.

Anyhow, Step 2 of my process is as follows:
Your jars need to be cleaned and sanitized, so I will run them thru the dishwasher on a sanitize setting to really clean them. If I can get the jars while they are still hot that is a plus. If not, when I am ready to start filling jars I will have them in the oven at about 150 degrees or so. I will also start preheating the water in the pressure cooker, not boiling but warm to hot.

Next, I will pull out the pot of whatever I prepped the evening before from the fridge and set on the stove top and start warming up. I won't bring to a boil but I will get it hot. I prep the work area, then I'll start filling jars by ladling the hot contents into a hottish jar. Once filled, you de-bubble (hard to do with raw packed meat), wipe the rim of the jar and then put on the lid and ring, finger tight, then into the pressure cooker. Once pressure cooker is filled, I put on the lid and head out to the pole building.

I get the pressure cooker on the turkey fryer burner and bring up the heat. Once steam starts venting, I let it purge for 5-10 minutes, then throw the weight on. Once my pressure reaches 11 lbs, I start the timer. With chili, meat, soup etc. you need to process pints for 75 minutes, quarts for 90 minutes at 11+ lbs of pressure. If you drop under 11 lbs, you need to restart your time, so it's important to maintain 11 lbs or higher (those of you that have a pressure canner with a weight that rocks don't need to babysit so much). While waiting, enjoy as many adult beverages as one likes.

After the time is up, cut off the fire and let the pressure dissipate on its own. Once pressure falls to zero, you can remove lid (make sure you tip AWAY from you, that steam is HOT). Take jars out and let them sit over night. In the morning, check lids to make sure they sealed (any that didn't refrigerate and eat soon, or freeze). Place sealed jars in pantry and enjoy at your leisure. I ended up processing 7 quarts in this run, one jar didn't seal, so 6 quarts hit the pantry. Also had enough left in the pot to fill 2 additional quarts that were refrigerated, so 9 quarts of chili total.
20201224_164830.jpg20201225_084419.jpg16089917776266352676776501326720.jpg

My wife got a canning kit for Christmas. Now I wish I would have killed more than two deer this season. I might try to sneak in another this week before the season closes.

Well, figured I would bring this one back up. I pretty much finally finished restocking the pantry with pressure canned items. Starting from the very top shelf on down we have venison Cowboy Beans, venison Sloppy Joe's, Venison Chili (2 different kinds, regular and "Aloha" chili), venison vegetable soup, canned venison stew meat (some Teriyaki, Korean BBQ, Jamaican Jerk, and some seasoned with Frank's Red Hot, salt & pepper), and last row is wild turkey with some mixed with chicken, and some canned tomatoes. Love the final result of providing meat and having all this shelf stable food.
Screenshot_20220227-082421_Gallery.jpg

Thanks for bringing this thread back. I had forgot about it and want to try this out! You ever swap venison for some of that beef?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for bringing this thread back. I had forgot about it and want to try this out! You ever swap venison for some of that beef?

You can use beef for any thing I listed. I put a few deer in the freezer and like making all of this stuff out of venison and canning as well as sharing some.

You can use beef for any thing I listed. I put a few deer in the freezer and like making all of this stuff out of venison and canning as well as sharing some.

Just made a batch with all venison. The leftovers that didn’t fit in the jars was pretty good. Can’t wait to have some after it comes out of canner. Thanks again for recipe!

Back