• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Stray balloon in the woods.

Longdraw38

Was out scouting for turkey and deer today.
And stumbled onto the fabled stray balloon in the woods. Never thought i would find one. I honestly laughed because ive heard a little about them saying if come up one you need to hunt where they are. Probably been a post on this before. What do yall think?

Legend has it that it's a sign of a big buck nearby! LOL

I usually find about one a year. Me and my buddy always joke about being a good place to hunt.

I found one 7 or 8 years ago that still had the tag of a church, phone#, and a little girl's name. Contacted the church and ended up talking to one of the grandparents. I mailed the balloon, a GoogleEarth screenshot, a map of where I found it, and my business card in case they wanted to contact me further, back to them. They were thrilled to have it returned. It was kinda cool for me, too. As I recall, it had traveled about 15 miles.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Was actually back in the same area today a little ways back up the piece setting a blind up for turkey hunting. Bumped a doe out of her bed, found a great place for a saddle set. The doe bedding is right off a road next to a big food plot coming out of a swamp.

I think a ballon CAN be informative, but not always. And I also think that many times balloons are in places that are impossible to hunt.

I found one 7 or 8 years ago that still had the tag of a church, phone#, and a little girl's name.

If it has a tag from a Church, I'd definitely hunt that area...HE obviously likes that piece of ground! ;)

Otherwise, I just pick it up & stuff it somewhere to pack out-just like I do with all of the other trash I find in the woods!

I found a balloon in my friends backyard up against his fence.
im going to give it a whirl next season but, im wondering how his surrounding neighbors will react when i setup on his clothes line pole in my saddle.
found another balloon last year stuck on an actual deer xing sing on a major highway.
that’s probably the true golden hot spot to try out lmao

Well I thought this was more common… I guess my property is the black hole for lost balloons…. Since the snow has melted I have 3 I can see from my mailbox, each year the first time mowing my field I usually mow up one sometimes two and thru the summer I usually have a few land in my field that I have to go clean up. I have lived here for 6 years now so it’s starting to seem regular and I just thought everyone’s garbage just floated right to my yard. I haven’t found any info or phone numbers attached to any yet but when I do I might tie the balloon to my garbage bags for the week and drop it back off at their house…

but in all seriousness… I do have a lot of deer here…

I have never heard of this and I have found several balloons throughout the past years. Do they have to be floating or inflated,but hung up in branches or can it be deflated laying on the forest floor?

I come across so many balloons in the mtn that I've lost count...years ago. Don't pay them any mind. I'm sure some could land in bedding areas but the overwhelming majority do not. Just my small sample fyi.

I find them all the time. I’ll pay more attention next time I see one…..if I can get to it, it usually gets stuffed in my pack with the trash

Back