• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summer scouting clothing

MattMan81

SH Member
What do you guys wear to help keep you cool when it's hot out? Every time I scout anything when it's hot, I seem to over heat my self and get a head ache the next day. I take plenty of water. But I don't think I'm wearing the right shirt or pants. But also need to get thru brush.
What do you guys wear?

wicking t shirt, ultralight zip off hiking pants, mesh ball cap, liner socks, low trail runner shoes, low boot gaiters

everything sprayed with permethrin for ticks

i get plenty of fluids and electrolytes in before, during, and after

I just picked up some nomad stretch lite pants. So far I like them. Lightweight and comfortable. Holding up good through 5-7 trips out but nothing exceptionally thorny yet. Climbed 20 feet twice in them this afternoon/ early evening

I like an activewear type shirt, the infamous walmart wrangler poly pants, appropriate footwear for the terrain, and a hat with a brim to keep the flies off me. Synthetic socks and undies.

I wear those while I ride around in the truck in the summer looking at new properties. Summer scouting is a waste of my time. It's all green hell down here, so you can't really find sign.

Tee shirt, basketball shorts, and crocs no socks. But I like to do my summer scouting from my driver's seat. Watching some deer as I type this... When I have to go in the woods this time of year, I prefer to wear some really thin hiking pants and a tee shirt. I bring pruners to cut my way through thick brush/briars.

Screenshot_20220620-203545.jpg

Screenshot_20220620-203635.jpg

Last edited:
Sitka ESW have been recommended to me too

Old army BDU pants soaked in permethrin and a Tee shirt with ball cap. Snake boots usually. I always try to hydrate beforehand and drink 2 waters to one gatorade/powerade. I still get a headache the next day often. Thankfully I did almost all my scouting post season while the leaves were still off so I don't feel the need to go out much now.

May be worth considering not scouting except for the first few hours of the day. If I'm fishing in the summer I like to be off the water by 10 at the latest, usually earlier. We're already 85° by 8am this summer.

If you're in good physical condition, dressing light, hydrating with some salt and sugar, and doing it in the coolest part of the day, you're covering all your bases. If you're still suffering it may be wise to accept that limitation. My dad works construction and has seem many people take ambulance rides because they wouldn't call it quits or at least ease way off the gas on a 105° day laying asphalt.

May be worth considering not scouting except for the first few hours of the day. If I'm fishing in the summer I like to be off the water by 10 at the latest, usually earlier. We're already 85° by 8am this summer.

If you're in good physical condition, dressing light, hydrating with some salt and sugar, and doing it in the coolest part of the day, you're covering all your bases. If you're still suffering it may be wise to accept that limitation. My dad works construction and has seem many people take ambulance rides because they wouldn't call it quits or at least ease way off the gas on a 105° day laying asphalt.
I do need to work on getting out their earlier. That would probably be more beneficial than anything else.
Most public spots around here are not that big. So I'm not looking for beds or fancy stuff. I'm trying to get my mind on the landscape and where the other hunters hunt. Most guys in Michigan don't bring their stuff in. Let along ever take it out in the fall. So I mostly mark where they are hunting and look for where they are not. I do wait for a cool day. But walking thru the woods still warms you up.

Lightweight pants and merino wool shirt. Permethrin alllllll over.

I think your overall conditioning is more important than what you wear tho. Some guys don’t get out because of the heat but a lot of those guys that I know personally don’t exercise consistently.
I spend a lot of time in the woods in the summer and have logged several 15+ mile days on foot. I also run consistently all year round and have a good base of endurance.
With a good base, lots of water and Gatorade you can make it a long ways.

Usually for me its: snake boots, jeans and a Columbia fishing shirt in most cases. Sometimes just a regular T-shirt depending on where I am scouting. Start as early as you can. Cyber scout ahead of time so that you are targeting an area you want to check out. If you aren't used to drinking a lot of water start a couple of days in advance, and load your system. I scout during the summer down here, and I usually just take 24 oz Nalgene water bottle and a rain jacket, unless I have the dog with me, then I carry more water. Im good for the day.

Most of my spots are pretty swampy - edge of the Boreal forest zone and all - so rubber boots with permetherin-treated jeans tucked into them. Long-sleeve t-shirt and boonie hat. I generally only wear my hunting clothing when I'm hunting as I'm kinda particular about scent control. So this is my "outside yard work / chainsawing / ATVing" ensemble.

What do you guys wear to help keep you cool when it's hot out? Every time I scout anything when it's hot, I seem to over heat my self and get a head ache the next day. I take plenty of water. But I don't think I'm wearing the right shirt or pants. But also need to get thru brush.
What do you guys wear?

@MattMan81 - Gamehide makes some thin synthetic lightweight & cool pieces that have the permanent permethrin treatment “InsectShield”. They call the line “Elimitick Ultralight”. I found it to be decent for Summer scouting and running the “trap line” of my trail cameras, even on days with oppressive humidity and high heat. (Although only modest in quality.)

Beyond that, wearing a good hat with a generous brim on it to keep the hot sun off your head, in conjunction with drinking fluids with a lot of electrolytes, can minimize headaches later. (You don’t have to rely on sugary sport drinks like Gatorade, either). There are alternatives that you can add to water that do the same thing. (i.e., Nuun brand electrolyte tablets).

Nutter’s recommendation to consider restricting yourself to early morning activity is excellent advice, since you’re already hydrating well when you go.

I use what @Nutterbuster stated earlier when scouting and really early season.
Walmart wrangler 6pocket bdus and the poly super lightweight walmart tees.
i would recommend thst ir somthing light weight and light colored especially scouting. The darker the shirt the sun will soak up the heat and make you hotter.
Bug preparation
What i now do for bug treatment is get concentrated premethrin and mix the correct amount with water in a 5 gsllon bucket.
Socks, sock liners, pants, tee’s etc. it sll gets dipped in the mixture til staurated.
Then i hang to air dry. A bit over kill but i do spray with saywers spray after all this process.
I absolutely hate ticks and especially chiggers they are devil demon bitters. A week or more of torture.
The concentrate stuff i buy is at tractor supply and is safe for all animals but cats.
my friend turned me on to this method and advised me thst the only animal it can actually kill is cats.
for dome reason it effects their nervous systems.
ticks can be really dangerous there is several different sicknesses out there to catch from them.
my friend in Delaware had the red meat sickness from a tick bite and was super sick.

Florida man here....if not working I wear the long sleeve dryfit type material shirt that isn't muscle man tight but not super baggy..u want skin contact so the material can absorb and "wick away"....shorts sometimes but mostly same type of pants same as the shirt...some kind of wicking quick dry material.
If there is an outside task.. those fishing neck gaiters things are used either in the dorag position or folded like a sweat band and a large brim hat.
I am going to sweat no matter what I do so getting the moisture absorbed and "wicked" is the main goal to keeping cool..keep ur hair cut short and thinned if u a mop head. Drink lots off water

I thought so.....the "sweat" thread
Start at sun up and be home by noon

Back