• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit (Lone Wolf) - Climber & Platform?

lean

Hi yall,

I'm a fairly new to hunting... still a virgin to saddle hunting too. Recently, I purchased myself a Cruzr XC and look forward to taking it out in the field and putting in some hours. I always try to be resourceful when I can, so since I already have a summit climber I'm wondering how effective it would be to use the bottom half of the climber as both my climbing util and platform. I've attached a cable from the summit 1/2 to my harness and use a ratchet strap to secure my feet when climbing and then to secure the summit half to the tree when at hunting height.

I've done some research and found a few videos online (
), I would love to hear from yall on this subject and would greatly appreciate any tips/ recommendations!!

How many of yall do this or something similar (lone wolf folk)??

Many people have been doing this for years. Very effective but be sure that you don't get to much forward lean on the seat. The stand will fold flat against the tree if this makes any since.

We have beat this horse to death already on other threads, just search for it.

The warning I will give to you or anyone doing this is DO NOT use any strap or anything else around your ankles/legs that you cannot easily get out of hands free or from an inverted position and get stuck (see threads on accients where someone got stuck upside down for many hours in a climber). Mine is modded where that cannot happen and I use zero straps or bungee cords now to climb.

Best to stay away from lone wolf I understand because top platform was not designed to be used as a bottom portion. I myself use either my api climber platform or cut down mini Loggy bayou platform. They both have nice stiff cable designs which are better than the lone wolf for platform climbing.

I've been using a LW assault platform with a my saddle.Ease of climbing is between the handclimber and sit and climb.Plenty of room to maneuver around,seconds to set up and you don't even know it's on your back.

Used the hand climber for a season before the arms bent out on me. Luckily I was at the base of the tree. The casting also cracked. Switched to bottom platform for most saddle hunts. I keep trying to convince myself that I NEED some LWCG sticks and a platform or .5, but I can’t see either of those being faster, quieter, or simpler than the LW or summit climber platform. Surprised that more companies haven’t come out with a saddle specific climber.

Last edited:
Hi yall,

I'm a fairly new to hunting... still a virgin to saddle hunting too. Recently, I purchased myself a Cruzr XC and look forward to taking it out in the field and putting in some hours. I always try to be resourceful when I can, so since I already have a summit climber I'm wondering how effective it would be to use the bottom half of the climber as both my climbing util and platform. I've attached a cable from the summit 1/2 to my harness and use a ratchet strap to secure my feet when climbing and then to secure the summit half to the tree when at hunting height.

I've done some research and found a few videos online (
), I would love to hear from yall on this subject and would greatly appreciate any tips/ recommendations!!

How many of yall do this or something similar (lone wolf folk)??
I literally opted to do this today bc the place i was hunting wouldnt allow my JRB method to be effective. It was actually pretty legit way to climb.

I literally opted to do this today bc the place i was hunting wouldnt allow my JRB method to be effective. It was actually pretty legit way to climb.

Yup, I've had great success with this method and was blessed to get 2 deer so far. I've learned the closer your feet are to where the climber grabs on to the tree, the easier it is to ascend/ descend. I may opt to cut the summit so it is not as long in the bottom, but have had zero issue with it so far. GL this season!

One of my climbing options this year is my cut down LW climber base, with the sit-n-climb top for ease and quietness of climbing. I don't like my climber dragging up the tree when I climb and the sit-n-climb top, which weighs about 6 lbs, allows me to manipulate the base much better and quieter, without dragging it up the tree. I put an OCB strap around the back of the platform once at hunting height and it locks it down pretty good....Base and top with backpack straps weighs about 15 lbs....So far this season I have used predrilled holes for bolts, hand drilled bolts during the hunt, and sticks....Next hunts planning to use the climber....

I guess I’ve been fortunate as I have been doing this exclusively for 5 years with the LWHC with bolt mod. When I became aware of the breakage issues I purchased and modified the top of a Summitt Open shot so I would have a back up. The LWHC has been flawless. Super light, packs flat, and climbs silently. I’m still surprised there aren’t more manufactures that offer a dedicated climbing platform.

If you like that method, you'll love this one. It has become my new way to climb and descend. :)
I use my Summit Viper platform, Cruzr XC tree saddle and a Sterling FCX rappel device. I use my rappel rope to climb and rappel. :cool:

To get started or to try this before purchasing a Sterling FCX or F4 device, here's what you'll need:
Ropeman1, 2 carabiners, beal jammy or similar section of rope to make a tending brake type hitch and a Figure 8.
5 pieces that can be replaced by a Sterling FCX.

Back