• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Summit Open Shot alternative to LWHC

mtsrunner

I am awaiting delivery of a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. I decided to see if my old Summit Open Shot top would work and I have been pleasantly surprised.

It weighs 4lbs 6oz and is rock steady climbing. Doyle’s hoist fits like a glove on the front brace. I used 650lb 2mm Dyneema Ironwire to make foot loops.

I think the LWHC will be a little lighter and more compact, but I’m thinking the Summit will be easier to climb (I am going to try some things to change the angle of the LW arms before I resort to the @Adrena123 Bolt Mod).

After about 20 climbs, my average time to 20’ with the Summit has been around 3 minutes. And I’m not overly exerting myself to get there.

c4f3ef38b3e0da6a166e64ae3c18385e.jpg
39c5ecc1fba56de1ca059e10dad99a9b.jpg
bf12c467c3cc7b97bacda8dda38bc125.jpg

I am awaiting delivery of a Lone Wolf Hand Climber. I decided to see if my old Summit Open Shot top would work and I have been pleasantly surprised.

It weighs 4lbs 6oz and is rock steady climbing. Doyle’s hoist fits like a glove on the front brace. I used 650lb 2mm Dyneema Ironwire to make foot loops.

I think the LWHC will be a little lighter and more compact, but I’m thinking the Summit will be easier to climb (I am going to try some things to change the angle of the LW arms before I resort to the @Adrena123 Bolt Mod).

After about 20 climbs, my average time to 20’ with the Summit has been around 3 minutes. And I’m not overly exerting myself to get there.

My only thing would be, great for climbing method but not ideal for platform unless you fill in the center section......

My only thing would be, great for climbing method but not ideal for platform unless you fill in the center section......

Definitely not ideal as a platform. I was a ROS guy for over ten years, so my platform requirements are minimal! It’s actually not bad, though. I can still stand comfortably

Oh I get it, ROS is my go to I was thinking maybe a way to weave a net in the middle. Not for full body weight just maybe a heel or toe for positioning, rather than give up that area in the middle.

Definitely not ideal as a platform. I was a ROS guy for over ten years, so my platform requirements are minimal! It’s actually not bad, though. I can still stand comfortably

I've seen folks incorporate an OCB strap to hold the teeth part of a Lone Wolf to the tree so you can shift around more.

I've seen folks incorporate an OCB strap to hold the teeth part of a Lone Wolf to the tree so you can shift around more.

I have thought about that. Not sure which I will prefer: the solid connection of the OCB or the freedom to make micro adjustments around the tree by not having it locked down.

Anyway, It looks like I will have a lot of time to play around with it due to Corona shut down.

Get some thin sheet metal (aluminum) to fill it in. If I was you, I'd run a beed of silicon around it, then rivet it to the frame.

I think I will hunt with it as is until/if I feel the need to add to it. Like I said, coming from a ROS, this feels like the Presidential Suite at the Waldorf Astoria.

I have the LWHC it works good with the mods but I am always looking for a better way you might have something there

Oh hell yeah. I was using my Summit 180 max this year with the seat facing the tree and my saddle. That would be perfect if you could get the spurs that come with the lower half on it. I'm gonna work with that. I was zipping up pine trees in no time at all. If I can solve my climbing method issues I'll be set. Unlimited height and you can shift up and down quickly. Thanks

You'll love the hand climber...

If I'm primarily on pine trees am I better off with the LWHC or the Summit? I'm reluctant to do the bolt mod as I generally dont like putting holes in a structural member I'm standing on. Weight isn't a huge thing for me.

I'm a ROS guy (14yrs) and probably will be to the end. Something about my feet out front and around the tree that makes it more comfortable, for me.
Obviously when i use my LWHC i hunt off the platform. It's a 2 for 1 deal. That is the beauty of the LWHC ( or other platform/climber) is that it has a big enough platform size to stand straight up on. That allows me to use both hands while loosening the saddle to put on winter layers and it's nice for standing to spin for a ''weak'' side shot etc... I can do those things on a ROS, it's just more involved. At the end of the day i'll hunt off anything, i have hard feet.

If I'm primarily on pine trees am I better off with the LWHC or the Summit? I'm reluctant to do the bolt mod as I generally dont like putting holes in a structural member I'm standing on. Weight isn't a huge thing for me.

Don’t know which will be better, but I hope the LW climbs as well because it is lighter and more packable.

Don’t know which will be better, but I hope the LW climbs as well because it is lighter and more packable.
The LWHC works well for me after I put on stir ups (I thing they were from summit...) I did not want to do a modification with bolts to adjust the angle of the belt. I feel with the stir ups, I can change the angel when needed.

The LWHC works well for me after I put on stir ups (I thing they were from summit...) I did not want to do a modification with bolts to adjust the angle of the belt. I feel with the stir ups, I can change the angel when needed.

Yeah, I didn’t mess with yours enough to see how well the stirrups worked. I do have some of those somewhere, I think.

Back