• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Switching back to fixed heads

Pathfinder

So I’m going back to fixed heads this year and narrowed it to 3 choices and was gonna ask if one of these which would you choose?

Tooth of The Arrow 100gr

Magnus Black Hornet ser razors 100gr

QAD Exodus swept blade 100gr

28in draw
72lb draw weight
440gr ish arrow
285fps

I really like Tooth of the Arrow and have taken several deer with them. I don't have any affiliation with them. I will admit the blood trails can be sketchy (then again I ground hunt a lot) but as long as you make a good double lung/heart shot the deer won't be far and most have landed within sight or just out of sight. They're easy to re-sharpen too with their sharpener of course.
I have a friend that uses Slick Trick 4 blades, they're replaceable and very similar to the Tooth of the Arrow. Depending on the sales etc. they can be cheaper as well!

Last edited:
Lol well let me round out the advice and recommend the Magnus. I’ve shot them through plywood, scapulas, into trees etc and they just come back for more. Never had one spin test untrue. Bent one of the bleeder blades on last buck I harvested, reached out to find out how much replacement blades cost and they just mailed me a new pack no questions asked. Their warranty is amazing. If you what to see some reviews ranch fairy reviews them as well as lusk archery.
So the takeaway here is they’re all good heads.

I would pick the QAD exodus. I’m currently shooting annihilators but if I had to switch for it would be the exodus. I regularly practice with the annihilators out to 60 and just touch them up after I’m done shooting. I’ve never shot or seen wounds from the tooth of the arrow but I do like broadheads that can be resharpened easily

The only company's products I have any experience with from the list you gave is Magnus. The Black Hornets get good reviews. I have killed quite a few deer with the Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts with the bleeder blades. There work well for a lighter head. You will probably be fine with any one of the above. One thing I did think about, and it may be complete nitpicking but if your state has a law prohibiting barbed broadheads the QAD swept might be construed that way by a game warden. Like I said, it would be a long shot. I do like the look of that QAD.

Ya I’m in a strange spot where I havent been before. Always shot super light fast arrows and honestly killed a pile of deer with them. Always 75gr Wasp Hammer SST then once they made some 75gr 3 bladed Muzzy’s. Probably killed a Couple hundred deer, a pile of bears and turkeys and even a moose with those setups. However I was shooting an absolute ton back then in a more traditional style of hunting almost exclusively from known stand setups at known distances. I switched 15yrs ago after guiding in the Midwest for 8yrs and seeing the massive damage 2 bladed Rages were doing cuz at the time I was VERY opposed to mechanicals but couldn’t deny the results. Now my time being able to shoot has drastically changed and my hunting style too!!! I don’t have the time to shoot for a couple hrs per session 5 times a week and I hunt more as a mobile hunter now while bow hunting And not from a predetermined spot 18ft up. More still hunting carrying in saddle and either popping up random tree on super hot sign or off ground in make shift blind. I typically don’t shoot more then 40yds but am setup to shoot as far as 60yds in wide open cuts. Ive had mostly good experiences with previous setups but have had a couple bad ones with one thing or another happening and I believe my current setup isn’t gonna be best for current style of hunting. I used to eliminate most of crazy variables and now being mobile create them!!! I Luv the idea of how Ranch Fairy and THP have gone to the “Heavy” arrow setups with single bevel heads but 1st I cant get over the speed difference visually for me. 2nd I don’t wanna have to retrain myself completely on how to shoot which that requires with my time to practice being cut so much. I might go a bit heavier then current setup but not much more kinda splitting difference between heavy and current setup so looking at those three heads. I Luv the way one looks but looks aren’t why you pick one over the other. I’ve watched “Lusk’s” reviews over and over along with someone like Ranch Fairy and these three seem to be the winners combining what I need and what they might be able to provide. Just asking to see if there’s some advise that may make me choose one over the other. Thanks for the comments always enjoy hearing from those who have used products!!!

I shoot magnus so that’s what I’m going to recommend. My experience has been good with them, but I’ll admit, I’ve never shot the other two brands. Magnus have shot great for me and they have an excellent warranty from what I’ve been told.

It sounds like you have a lot of experience and have given a lot of thought to your new hunting style and the challenges it may present. From your description, I would say go with the Magnus. If you wanted to bump up your weight just a little, you could look at a 150 grain Magnus Buzzcut 4 blade.

I did go all in a few years ago, with a 650 grain arrow, single bevels, and 29% FOC. My change wasn't academic, it was because I lost the biggest buck I ever released an arrow on to a shoulder shot that stopped cold. Two years later I used the heavy set up to absolutely break down a big Ohio buck with a shot through both shoulders at 12 yards. He never took another upright step and was down for good within 30 yards. My hunting is close range, 25 yards and in so I don't worry about trajectory or speed. A quiet bow and heavy arrow have worked well for me. I hunt thick stuff in the South in heavy cover for the most part. If at some point you want to experiment going all the way down the heavy arrow, high FOC and single bevel road, I can recommend it. For now, you should be fine with any of these.

Good luck this season.

I really like Tooth of the Arrow and have taken several deer with them. I don't have any affiliation with them. I will admit the blood trails can be sketchy (then again I ground hunt a lot) but as long as you make a good double lung/heart shot the deer won't be far and most have landed within sight or just out of sight. They're easy to re-sharpen too with their sharpener of course.
I have a friend that uses Slick Trick 4 blades, they're replaceable and very similar to the Tooth of the Arrow. Depending on the sales etc. they can be cheaper as well!
I’ve lost a blade using slick tricks twice and no longer will use them. I would’ve guessed the tooth of the arrow made a good blood trail, I’ve thought about trying them. Grim reaper makes a good 4 blade head.

I think the heavy arrow thing is like I said more on me. I’m so used to shooting setups even for hunting that fly in the 310-325fps that when I tried the 700gr arrow and on same bow setup only arrow change the visual was staggering. I found myself laughing as I watched arrow fly. I understood the purpose for sure and watching videos there’s no denying results!!! I’m thinking there’s a middle ground for me though. I live in Maine and if you know anything about hunting up here your opportunities are limited at best on any deer let alone big ones. Without tons of practice and retraining my 30yrs plus of bow hunting brain and shot decisions I believe it may be to much of a change for me. I truly wanted to do it though cuz it really takes a lot of the mistakes away or more over allows you more options for shots not having to wait for the ”Prefect” broadside like my light setup required. That’s why I’m changing due to my hunting style. With my practice time and actually hunting time being cut back due to life stuff I need to be 100% mobile and need to be able to take a not so perfect shot ie: totally broadside or quartering away. I need to be able to bust through some tough stuff in case that’s only shot of the season but have to remain able to shoot in my style which Was developed over 30yrs with hunting and a bunch of 3D. Thinking my change to a heavy arrow setup may come in a couple yrs when life slows a bit and practice can be ramped up and training myself to go back to caveman style spear throwing. That’s all I could think when letting the arrow go with that 700gr set up.

I think the heavy arrow thing is like I said more on me. I’m so used to shooting setups even for hunting that fly in the 310-325fps that when I tried the 700gr arrow and on same bow setup only arrow change the visual was staggering. I found myself laughing as I watched arrow fly. I understood the purpose for sure and watching videos there’s no denying results!!! I’m thinking there’s a middle ground for me though. I live in Maine and if you know anything about hunting up here your opportunities are limited at best on any deer let alone big ones. Without tons of practice and retraining my 30yrs plus of bow hunting brain and shot decisions I believe it may be to much of a change for me. I truly wanted to do it though cuz it really takes a lot of the mistakes away or more over allows you more options for shots not having to wait for the ”Prefect” broadside like my light setup required. That’s why I’m changing due to my hunting style. With my practice time and actually hunting time being cut back due to life stuff I need to be 100% mobile and need to be able to take a not so perfect shot ie: totally broadside or quartering away. I need to be able to bust through some tough stuff in case that’s only shot of the season but have to remain able to shoot in my style which Was developed over 30yrs with hunting and a bunch of 3D. Thinking my change to a heavy arrow setup may come in a couple yrs when life slows a bit and practice can be ramped up and training myself to go back to caveman style spear throwing. That’s all I could think when letting the arrow go with that 700gr set up.
What was your arrow weight at 310-325? I would think would have to be super light. Personally, instead of jumping to 700, I'd be looking at that 500-550 range. If that puts you in that 270-285 fps range you'll likely go through all but the heaviest of bone (knuckle) and have a trajectory that isn't as bad. Most guys that go super heavy from super light don't stick with it because the jump is so severe.

Good news is that I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. I’ve used Black Hornets the past few seasons. Have Exodus to try this season. Biggest advantage of Magnus is the warranty. I’ve used it twice in the past. I like that TOTA is one solid piece. But I haven’t personally used them.

I’ve always like the idea of the TOTA heads, but stayed away because of sharpening them(the TOTA sharpener is only a med grit). But, I just saw that Stay Sharp came out with a system with different grits to really hone them.

That said, I love Magnus stuff. And I’ve never heard anyone complain about the QADs. I’ve almost bought some several times. I don’t think you could go wrong with any ofyour choices.

What was your arrow weight at 310-325? I would think would have to be super light. Personally, instead of jumping to 700, I'd be looking at that 500-550 range. If that puts you in that 270-285 fps range you'll likely go through all but the heaviest of bone (knuckle) and have a trajectory that isn't as bad. Most guys that go super heavy from super light don't stick with it because the jump is so severe.
Not exactly sure what arrow weight was honestly never wondered about it in past. Always told bow shop owner to make sure arrow was within manufacturing specs and get it as fast as possible. For some reason back then where I live it was all about how fast we could shoot cuz that “ has to be better“ right. So shooting 80lbs with ultra short arrows in the aluminum days super fast was the thing. What I didn’t realize is I think it was more that the sheer amount that I shot that was the difference I believe. I was blessed with a great built in rangefinder and between the crazy amount I used to shoot 3D and play golf I could pick yardage numbers almost to the yard. Couple that with shooting thousand arrows a week and I might have been able to kill them with a sharp toothpick as I was hitting animals with pin point accuracy which doesn’t require a 700gr arrow w/single bevel heads. Any standard arrow with a decent head works then. Now being mobile, practicing normal amounts, and just getting older puts more variables into my hunting. I shoot less poundage, I’m hunting trees once or twice and moving on, I’m hunting from ground a lot and actually doing a lot of still hunting w/bow now. Just a bunch of variables being thrown in and that means theres gonna be less then perfect shots presented and need a multipurpose tool instead of a specialized one like I shot before. Watching things and reading things it seems to be the way things are headed which is truthfully the way it always should have been really I’m just old enough to realize it now.

I’ve always like the idea of the TOTA heads, but stayed away because of sharpening them(the TOTA sharpener is only a med grit). But, I just saw that Stay Sharp came out with a system with different grits to really hone them.

That said, I love Magnus stuff. And I’ve never heard anyone complain about the QADs. I’ve almost bought some several times. I don’t think you could go wrong with any ofyour choices.
Lay your choice of grit wet sandpaper on the sharpener and the bevel stays the same. I can shave my arm with the sharpener the company supplies.

So my arrow weight calculates to 410gr. So I may look at bumping up to 125gr heads and get some brass inserts that may get me closer to 475gr arrow. Not heavy but good compromise maybe.

72 pound draw weight means you have a good bit of energy to work with. You could probably get to 550 grains comfortably if you work up to it.

I shot those exodus heads & they were great, flew true & great blood trail. Switched to the Magnus heads b/c warranty & whole cutting surface is able to be sharpened replaced. I bent 2 ferrules & they replaced them no questions asked.

Back