• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

TAC Events- Recommend or Not???

woodsdog2

SH Member
Last year I signed up to be notified for TAC (Total Archery Challenge) events. Never have been before. A buddy and I are seriously considering one that's coming relatively close to us this summer. The deadline to enter is fast approaching. I was wondering for anybody who has been before.... what are your honest thoughts about these events and would you recommend attending one. The price seems super reasonable, their FAQ's page sounds like it really tries to involve people not be an elitist event whatsoever. Just wanting to hear everyone's experiences or whatever.

Having the same thoughts. Thinking of doing the PA event. But not sure I want to sign up as a loner and get paired up with people that would take it too serious when I'm a first time attendee.

4 dozen arrows can't be a serious number is it?!

Anyone considering PA?

Having the same thoughts. Thinking of doing the PA event. But not sure I want to sign up as a loner and get paired up with people that would take it too serious when I'm a first time attendee.

Anyone considering PA?
Yes my buddy and I are looking at the 7 Springs one.

Anyone considering PA?
You could just carry a bunch of inserts and glue and snatch the right spine for your set up off the trees around the targets. That would be a good bit cheaper.

I've done the Killington VT shoot twice. It's a great time and never had an issue with any hardos, everyone is pretty cool and having a good time. The initial nock time groups spread out into smaller ones and then you can walk up as close as you want to shoot (so you don't have to take 70 or 80 yard shots if you don't want to).

They make a lot of challenging shots and you will lose some arrows. On the Bear I put it into the 12 ring but had to leave the arrow cause I couldn't budge it. They also like boulders as backdrops or obstacles so when someone really misses the explosion is quite entertaining (when its not your arrow)!

TAC.jpgTAC2.jpgTAC3.jpg

Absolutely recommend! Great opportunity to test your archery skills not to mention your gear as well. It’s a fun physical, mental, and even emotional challenge that really shines a light on any weakness you may have. Get a couple buddies and climb a ski hill and sling some arrows downrange at some foam…great time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve gone to TAC in Killington VT for 3 years and 7 total days. TAC does a great job and is well organized. I really enjoy it and definitely look forward to it every year. Super challenging, gets you WAY out your comfort zone and has made me really try to learn how to shoot better in lots of different situations. Shooting at a rabbit at 30 yards to a buffalo at 125 yards. Steep uphill and downhill shots, long bombs, threading the needle over rocks and under downed trees. The courses are 25 targets and typically takes a few hours to shoot it with a group of 4. We’ve found letting the mad rush of people go early and we start shooting in the early afternoon it seems to be not as crowded. Highly recommend it but plan on losing arrows.

I’ve gone to TAC in Killington VT for 3 years and 7 total days. TAC does a great job and is well organized. I really enjoy it and definitely look forward to it every year. Super challenging, gets you WAY out your comfort zone and has made me really try to learn how to shoot better in lots of different situations. Shooting at a rabbit at 30 yards to a buffalo at 125 yards. Steep uphill and downhill shots, long bombs, threading the needle over rocks and under downed trees. The courses are 25 targets and typically takes a few hours to shoot it with a group of 4. We’ve found letting the mad rush of people go early and we start shooting in the early afternoon it seems to be not as crowded. Highly recommend it but plan on losing arrows.
I joked about 4 dozen arrows earlier, what kind of number would you recommend from experience?

I’ve looked at that one for awhile….. if you went you thinking Fri-sat?
Yes @Bigterp we’re planning on trying to discuss it this Sunday evening. Thinking about trying to find a place to camp close by Friday night to save $$ then hit the slopes Saturday. I need to research some close by campgrounds.

Last edited:
I know there’s lots of folks that stay right in the venue parking lots with an RV or tent. I only live about 45 minutes away so I do the drive each day. Definitely wear good appropriate shoes. It gets super wet and muddy here in VT in May but rubber boots don’t have enough support to get through the steeps and I usually put on a couple miles a day.

Looking at Laurel Hill State Park looks like several sights available right now that weekend. $33 a night.

Back