• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Talk me out of a diesel or help me pick!

DanO

Vendor Rep
Probably a can-o-worms with this post, but hey, why not. Currently have a '00 Ford Expedition with 200K and '03 F150 with 265K miles. Want something just a little nicer that can proudly display a company logo, but not wanting to buy new. I do tow a 19' cargo trailer with both, but they aren't the best in the mountains or when fully loaded. I want something with plenty of power to tow whatever I want up and down the mountains of Wyoming and not worry about it - that's why I'm thinking diesel. I head out to Wyoming every couple years and also camp/hunt around Michigan. Would love a 2000-2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L but don't want the headaches with older vehicles that I'm dealing with now. Won't touch a 6.0L. Thought about a 2008-2010 F250 6.4L and open to those. Won't be a daily driver. Must be a crew cab and seating for 6 a bonus. Also, I don't buy 4x2 here in Michigan so must be 4x4.

Other issue with an older vehicle is finding one that is rust free - means a trip down south. Not buying any used vehicle here in Michigan as it will have rust after a couple years. Should I be looking at a 6.7L? Should I be looking at GM, Dodge, or other? Budget - sky's the limit! Ha, who am I kidding - under $20K.

Keep discussion relevant and not too much on Ford vs. GM vs. Dodge etc. Please post regarding gasser vs. diesel - I know diesel will be more expensive to maintain, but want to get away from the 11 MPG that I'm getting now with the Expedition. Don't want another F150 - want more power so looking at F250/350 or 2500/3500. Find my next truck and maybe there's a finder's fee involved.

I drive a 2013 F-150 FX4 Super Crew. I get about 19 hwy and 14 or so in town with the 5.0. Gas mileage has come a little ways since 2000. I also pull an 18ft car hauler loaded down with 3 can am ATVs, truck loaded down with coolers and all kinds of crap and I average about 12 mpg. Take it for what it is. I just wanted to give you some info to go on with a gas truck. I have ran the diesel idea through my mind many many times and never pulled the trigger because when you add up the added maintenance costs, extra fuel costs, etc it's not worth it to me. I don't haul enough or often enough to justify it in my mind I guess.

If you only tow 3-4 times a year I would stay gas....04-05 v10. Ford is there number 1 selling truck for 40+years for a reason.
The 5.4 that I assume is in your other trucks has a bad rap but don't believe everything you read. The 6.8 was made on the same assembly line as the 5.4 with the same tooling.....modular motor.

I had a 2000 7.3 and it was an awesome truck but just to dang expensive to maintain. Even doing all the work myself...a new clutch was 1k and every oil change is 150-200 bucks.

Or throw all caution to the wind and go for the new pushrod gasser 7.3..... It will be a beast

I’d steer clear of the 6.4 there is a reason it came and gone. I’ve always been a diesel guy but unless you tow daily I’d say it’s not worth it with all the new emissions bull crap, fuel mileage, and cost of repair. Don’t get me wrong the new duramax and 6.7 seem like great trucks but new and warranty but it’s gonna cost you 50-60k. My fathers got a early 6.7 that threw a bearing and they replaced under warranty. Truck is dump and works hard but doesn’t have 60k on it yet.

Hey man
Soooo I’ve owned a few of these
The newer power strokes are nice and generally trouble free
Problem you have is expect to rebuild tranny in most cases by 250,000 miles on a ford
I had a 2010,2014,2016
When you go look at them even from a dealer crawl under them. I’ve found several leaking on the back of the engine block and on parts of the pan gasket
Test drive, listen for weird noises, watch your gauges til u get used to it so u know what “normal” for that truck looks like

I’m currently driving a 17 ram 3500
6.7 Cummins
6 speed manual 4x4
I’ve put 100k on it In last 2 years
Always service every 5,000 miles (first 3 services done at 3500)
I pull a 25ft flatbed every day
I’m in the landscape and hardscape Industry
Sometimes my trailer has a 10,000 lb skidsteer
Sometimes I have 5,000 lb worth of plants or trees
Sometimes I have pallets of wall block and pavers
Truck has been great!
If you can get a used ram I heard a lot of good about the Aisin transmissions so far with 6.7 Cummins
I just like to shift, automatics are boring and besides that working 80 plus hours a week it’s hard to fall asleep at the when hen you have to shift

If I had my way I’d throw this engine and transmission in a 93 f350 crew cab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive a 2013 F-150 FX4 Super Crew. I get about 19 hwy and 14 or so in town with the 5.0. Gas mileage has come a little ways since 2000. I also pull an 18ft car hauler loaded down with 3 can am ATVs, truck loaded down with coolers and all kinds of crap and I average about 12 mpg. Take it for what it is. I just wanted to give you some info to go on with a gas truck. I have ran the diesel idea through my mind many many times and never pulled the trigger because when you add up the added maintenance costs, extra fuel costs, etc it's not worth it to me. I don't haul enough or often enough to justify it in my mind I guess.
I agree with you... The 5.0 is a pretty bad dude if he's in your price range. Our work truck (5.0 f150) has pulled easy 12000 not problem..... Just couldn't stop it. The 5.0 on the superduty platform ......

I will add that a normal service
Oil and filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Multi point inspect
Rotate tires etc
Cost me 325ish every 5000 miles
At the dealership

Why dealership u ask? Well for starters I could do it myself but if I add up my time going to get parts then doing the work it exceeds my cost of just taking to dealer, digs into hunting time, and if something goes wrong and ur dealer just serviced it they are on the hook and I’m not paying for something they messed up

Imo pre def,dog etc is the way to go. 2002-2003 7.3 or 06-07 duramax are the best pre emissions motors going and for a 20k budget that’s almost what it’s gonna cost to find a nice one. I currently have an 06 duramax and I get 21 on the highway 16-17 around town. I still miss my 7.3s but here in northeast there aren’t many left but rotboxes.

Well depending on how long you want to wait, you can get the new Tesla Truck. Since you have a 20k budget, you can hold off and save for another couple of years. Yeah, it looks like something out of mad max; but I did not let that stop me from preordering. I currently get 11 mpg on my ‘05 Dodge Ram

If you can find the Excursion you want you won't be disappointed. I have a good friend that deals in used vehicles, he found mine for me, I can have him start looking for one for you if you'd like.

I'm not a fan of Obama motors (gm) trucks. If you go gas, I would recommend Ford then Dodge. If you go diesel, I think Dodge has the best engines and transmissions.

My next truck will probably be a tundra though but I'm waiting until they bring out their new model. Who knows when that will be though.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well depending on how long you want to wait, you can get the new Tesla Truck. Since you have a 20k budget, you can hold off and save for another couple of years. Yeah, it looks like something out of mad max; but I did not let that stop me from preordering. I currently get 11 mpg on my ‘05 Dodge Ram
That truck looks insane. Doesn't even look real. What does that thing cost? I would have a heart attack if anything broke on it. Lol

I have a Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins and I don’t have a single bad thing to say.Had a 2013 Dodge with a Cummins before then and i much prefer the Titan.Not quite as beefy but no where near the problems.The ride is much better and it handles well more than what Nissan advertises.I have had 16000 behind mine with no problems at all.I keep a diesel around for my travel trailer and my tractor.If you do some towing you wont regret it.

I don't see much of an advantage to gas or diesel anymore unless you are towing heavy or want to make big power. They both can get good fuel mileage, tow fairly heavy, and last a long time. I'd personally stay away from the 6.4 PS. The 6.7 PS has been a reliable engine, but things get expensive very quickly when something goes wrong with these new diesels.

Saying that, I really enjoy driving a diesel truck. Cummins/manual. 19MPG average over the last 125k miles and I can hook up to almost anything.

You mentioning Wyoming reminded me of my last elk trip. I was happy to have a diesel crossing Wyoming with a trailer and a 30MPH headwind.

I will add that a normal service
Oil and filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Multi point inspect
Rotate tires etc
Cost me 325ish every 5000 miles
At the dealership

Why dealership u ask? Well for starters I could do it myself but if I add up my time going to get parts then doing the work it exceeds my cost of just taking to dealer, digs into hunting time, and if something goes wrong and ur dealer just serviced it they are on the hook and I’m not paying for something they messed up

Ouch. Try getting your oil checked by one of the labs. It's simple, cheap and will probably save you a bunch of money. Those are aggressive service intervals unless you are really hard on that truck.

I agree with your fuel filter replacement interval though. Filters are cheap compared to our injectors!

Back