• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tank 11/4/18

Stump06

If you would have told me last year that I would kill this deer I wouldn't have believed you. In 2017 I got about 3 pics of him after he shed his velvet and in every one he would see the camera and then disappear after that. Fast forward to this year and to my surprise he was a lot more active in daylight after shedding his velvet. Had a couple chances to go after him but every time the wind would be wrong. In the last few days or so he was showing up within 30 mins of dark along with another shooter buck, a big 9. I was actually after the other buck but this deer was #2 on our list so I wasn't gonna pass him up if I had the opportunity. I was hunting in a kinda bay I guess. Its about a 1/2 acre of tall grass and a small water hole 20 yards from my tree. Its super thick to the south and west and the bucks bed in there then come out to stage/feed in this bay.

Sunday 11/4/18
Checked the weather headed to the farm and it showed rain until 6 pm. Almost turned around and went back home but decided to grab my rain suit and see how it played out. Man am I glad I did, saddle hunting is fun but saddle hunting in the rain was a hoot!! I was a little late getting to the tree and got set up about 4:45. Not long after that a hard drizzle started and about 5:15 a small 2yo 8 point showed up. He read the script and come in perfectly doing a J-hook around the water hole passing by at 15 yards. About 20 mins later I catch movement right under me and this buck comes walking out. He proceeds to start feeding and is facing straight away from me. After feeding for about 10-15 mins he proceeds to the water hole and takes a drink. He then turns broadside at 26 yards. I draw, settle my pin and let the arrow fly. It hits him a little high but comes out at the bottom of the shoulder.... perfect. He runs off plowing up dirt the whole way, makes it about 50 yards before piling up in sight.
It was drizzling and a little windy the whole time so I hoped that covered the sound of all the commotion and didn't spook the big 9. I sat there until 10 mins after shooting light but the only other deer to come in was a stubby 8 that is on the hit list but I wasn't gonna use my other tag on him. Im saving it for someone special!

He won't score high but I've never cared about that. He's a 5 1/2 year old, roman nosed, 180 lb (or so) warrior. He was all scared up from fighting and a Tank, hence the name. I probably could have killed this deer out of a lock on but It was so much easier with a saddle. I was in a tree with a pile of limbs/vines and it took a lot of trimming to get a few shooting lanes so being able to maneuver in the saddle for a shot is very important in this spot.

It was one of those great evenings in the woods. Not very often do I see (arguably) 3 shooter bucks in one sitting with a bow. I figured id be miserable sitting in the rain in my saddle but honestly it was so much fun. Granted it wasn't raining hard so that may be a different story but its definitely changed my perspective on it.

c7cb5c5f883c4a942a20237c261a3d24.jpg
fb2a087cf1c12e756f7b2eabdf4d9c2f.jpg
9fee508905a4145d3b07f79c0492e061.jpg
fe7501b24f47a9d0bd831bd637cac003.jpg
6016b5474cc7063d9464a5e4a0c29c60.jpg

Last edited:
Oh sorry, the Ranch Fairy is a YouTuber, and he does his arrows the same as you, the all white thing. He has a lot of good content.

Oh sorry, the Ranch Fairy is a YouTuber, and he does his arrows the same as you, the all white thing. He has a lot of good content.
Ah gotcha. I'll have to check him out. Sounds like he has some good taste.

Back