• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 3 - Official Team Thread

d_rek

@d_rek
@Country
@Cajunshooter
@Tabernator23
@Sziggy2.0
@barlow96
@sureshotscott
@Vorsteg
@VA saddlehunter
@Jason 47201
@Tapeworm
@Hebeskibe
@DwadeCham
@GCTerpfan

ROLL CALL!

Some familiar names. Some not so. @sureshotscott you and I frequent far too many of the same forums lol.

Let's get a brief introduction from everyone. Maybe which state you hunt, what model of saddle, preferred choice of weapon, and any other juicy gossip you wanna divulge! I'll start!

I'm Derek (D minus the e = d_rek) hailing from SE part of Michigan's lower penninsula. Been hunting out of a saddle for about 6 years now... which seems like forever ago! First saddle was an old trophyline neoprene saddle that was outrageously uncomfortable. Upgraded to a aerohunter evolution, then a kite, a mantis, and now a phantom. I'll be chasing whitetails here in Michigan on both public and private with archery and firearms gear, and will also be doing my first out-of-state whitetail hunt this year too! I'm primarily a freezer filler but antlers get the blood pumping too! I should be good for a doe or two if nothing else.

@d_rek do you post on reddit under that name? I see you.... :)

I'm Scott and like d_rek hunt SE MI and occasionally out of state. This year I'm on a mission to fill my MI tags early to hunt the rut elsewhere. I predict SE MI woods will be busier than normal. So MI antlers aren't my highest priority this year.

This is my first year participating in the contest. Maybe I should read the rules. :)

Brian here. I hunt mostly Western MD, this is my fourth year in a saddle. Currently hunt from a Kite and mostly with my recurve, although I'll pull out the rifle if the freezer isn't full enough. Just pulled into camp a few minutes ago and will be spending all weekend hanging from a tree trying to get some points for the team. Wish me luck!
Screenshot_20200918-183441.png

@sureshotscott , this is seriously the first year you've been in the contest?

Last edited:
Joe from Wisconsin. This is my third season in the saddle. Trying out the Cruzr XC this season. I had 1 sit in it already and it's awesome. Will be hunting mainly with the bow and some Ranch Fairy arrows this year. May get a couple days with the gun. I'm after big antlers with a side of meat.

Greetings team 3, Scott here. This will be my second year in a saddle. I hunted out of a mantis last year. Mys son will use that one this year and I will be using a DIY phantom clone. I live and hunt Iowa and I have a nonresident archery tag for Nebraska. Good luck guys, let's do this.

Cheers Team 3! My name is Will and I hunt and live in Central Indiana. I am hanging in an Aerohunter Kestral and hunt with my old Bowtech Assassin. Gold Tip Hunters 340 spine and 100 gr NAP Thunderhead... not trying to start an arrow debate, I am interested in diving into tuning my arrows next year but I was late to the dance for this year. I am pretty sure I have owned and tried every climbing method on this site and atleast for this year I will be using 3 mini shikars with diamond 5 step aider and rappel down. I will pick up a rifle for gun seasons and I am a Meat Eater 1st, trophy taker second. I have been hunting 5 years and this will be my second in a saddle.
The social and planning aspects of hunting is the part I really enjoy so I am looking forward to trying this team contest out. My boy is really starting to interested in Hunting and we love to practice shooting from the tree! Again, Cheers and can't wait to get to know you all better!IMG_20200918_222628_599.jpg

I had an interesting hunt tonight. Had a black bear come in 45 min before dark and blow up my hunt. I filmed him with my phone playing with a chunk of wood at the base of my tree. It was pretty comical, he was doing somersaults, tossing it up in the air, rolling around, etc. Finally, I decided I filmed him enough and he didn't seem like he was leaving anytime soon so I yelled at him to get him out of there. Let's just say I didn't scare him. He was 10 yards from my tree and everytime I yelled at him he woofed back at me, stomped his foot and started playing again. Finally, after 10 minutes of yelling at him, barking at him, throwing my water bottle at him I think I just annoyed him enough that he wandered off, in the direction I had to walk out of course.

We're legally allowed to carry a sidearm during bow season in MD for just this reason, I was definitely wishing I had one on me tonight.
Screenshot_20200919-211448.png

Last edited:
Now that my submission is in. I am a in Mississippi. Been saddle hunting for last 3 years. Mostly bow hunting for me. Do we get extra points for hogs most of time I drop a few a season.

Checking in mostly hunt in Virginia I've been out hunting a few times since early urban season came in I've seen deer nothing close enough does only until October 3 bucks are in season , this is my 40th plus year hunting deer ,three have been from a saddle ,had good success last year saddle hunting I own 5 different saddles and just ordered another one my favorite is the flex and jx3 hybrid depends on where and how long I'm going to sit I'm good for two deer anyways no telling about size of bucks one can only hope as far as my weapon of choice I use everything that is legal but I prefer archery ,compound bow and cross bow depends on where I'm hunting most places I hunt are archery only haven't shot one with a firearm in three years.

Back