• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Team 8 Thread

boyne bowhunter

Staff member
SH Member
@Oakridge , @phatkaw , @kyler1945 , @Micneador , @swing n fling , @hauscaliber , @Chuck2450 , @Kuk09 , @iamcorey , @MN_Bowhunter4 , @slonstdy , @Gator , @elk yinzer

Welcome to Team 8! I look forward to sharing the season virtually with you guys. If you don’t know me by now, I’m from the northern end of Michigan’s lower peninsula (the tip of the mitten’s ring finger – typical Michigander “where are from?” response ). This year will be my 48th season chasing whitetails and I’ve been saddle hunting for 7 years now, the last 6 exclusively from a saddle.

I’m a geezer who’s been in the same job for a long time so I have acquired a lot of vacation that I use almost exclusively during deer hunting season. I average about 80 sits a year but I’m generally pretty picky about what I loose an arrow at (I only get 2 buck tags) so I’m not going to guarantee any points.

I have always bow hunted with a compound but a local friend here gifted me a homemade longbow last year and I’ve gotten more comfortable with it so I intend to do some sits with it this year and try to take my first deer with traditional equipment. We’ll see how that goes.

My season here in Michigan runs from Oct. 1st thru Jan. 1st so I’ve got a couple of weeks before I can get started in earnest. Until then I’ll have to enjoy the hunting stories from those of you who have earlier starts.

Good luck to all this season and let’s put some deer in the freezer (and points on the board)!

Hey team 8! In in Minnesota (twin cities area). Our season opened yesterday and I got out locally in the morning. Afternoon I headed over to Wisconsin. I’ll be hunting both, with a few trips planned to Northern Michigan (home state) this fall as well!

I’m a bowhunter at heart and will have a trad bow with me most of the time, with a sprinkling of compound mixed in. I work from home, so I’ll get out occasionally during the week as well as weekends.

Looking forward to sharing the season with you folks!

I've been bowhunting since I was 14 and pretty serious about it since 15 so I got plenty of experience under my belt. (and plenty of nice bucks too)

Good luck this year to everyone on the forum!

Go team 8

Last edited:
Hi guys.
I'm in Dutchess County NY about 70 miles north of NYC which means there's too many hunters, mostly private land and not enough habitat for deer. I've been bowhunting since '05 when I bought my Switchback and have done pretty good over the years knocking brown down. The last few years I have been also hunting Connecticut (20 minutes away) and PA because those states have better quality and numbers of deer. Three years ago I gave up hunting with firearms opting to stay with the bow through the season and I really feel that it made me a much better hunter.

I work a rotating shift at a power plant so I get alot of days off and use most of them to hunt. This year unfortunately I will have less days due to a training class that runs every Wednesday but I will still be out there more than most guys normally hunt during the season!

Looking at our roster I would say that this team is stacked! We've got some heavy hitters and with @boyne bowhunter there's no way we don't win this thing.
Good luck to all of you and most importantly have a safe season!

GO TEAM 8!!

Central Florida swamp buck hunter here. I'm ready to start hunting next week. Not sure if it's coincidental or not but the last time I competed was 2019, we were team 8 and we won! Tagged a 10 pointer that year.

I'm a public land hunter so I've got my work cut out. Been scouting the last month and it's wet down here. My son is just turning 13 and this will be his first year archery hunting with a saddle so I'm excited to see what the season will bring. The good thing is that I've got hunts from now until the end of January.44025f71f2224e36d5f69753cb01a5ad.jpg

Last edited:
@Kuk09 @Gator teammates again! Let's do this thing!

I'm nobody special, just a spoiled private land hunter in NE Oklahoma. Work just changed my schedule to 4 10's with Sunday-Tuesday off. Will most likely be shooting my recurve the majority of the year. Been shooting 4-5 times a week since late may. I'll gurentee 10 points at the minimum, can't control myself around does :sweatsmile:

My work schedule is Fridays off through October and I typically haul the camper to public land on Thursday night coming back on Sunday afternoon. That gives me three day remote weekends through October.

My rutcation runs from from November 1st through the 16th (the 15th is our rifle opener). I'll leave the camper down there typically through the 13th (weather permitting) only coming home a couple of times overnight for quick load of laundry and to vote. The 14th through the 16th are spent with buddies at rifle camp (at a buddies house). To be honest I'm not much of a rifle hunter anymore and more enjoy that time together with my buddies although we do sit all day those first couple of days.

Late season I hunt more local public land on weekends and through our Xmas break. I have historically worked the four 10's during October but I'm thinking this year I'm going to try to do some more local weekday evening sits this year. Hopefully I can knock something down with that long bow. I do have a doe tag and I won't hesitate to use it to break the ice with the trad equipment.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable and safe season this year.

Hey all! Excited to be part of the team and to help with any points I can. Central Arkansas here, hunting a good mix of private and public. Up until this year, I'd normally say I'm pretty solid for points, but my go to spots have been slammed with hogs this year, and my deer pics have been pretty thin so far. We do get six tags here though, so at least a couple does can drop.

That said, our season opens this Friday, and goes until the end of February, so I should have plenty of opportunity to get sits in. I'm already planning to sit this weekend, so hopefully I can start us off with some early points. Good luck to all this season!

Sweet deal, some familiar screen names here and hello to the new ones.

Real name is Joe. I live in Central PA hunt the mountainous big woods all around the region. Mostly bow hunt but not exclusively.

Not sure what this season is going to look like for me. Started my own company last year and after really struggling for a few months things have rapidly picked up. Also went and had kiddo #3 in April. Wouldn't trade it for the world but each successive one has made that "me time" quite a bit harder to come by. Definitely not going to hit my usual tree time this year but I do have a decent amount of flexibility so I'm hoping I can be efficient and pick the right days to make it happen during the rut..

Good luck to all and everyone most importantly stay safe out there and enjoy yourselves. Don't make any of this outcome oriented, literally nobody cares who wins this contest, just a nice little bonding exercise.

I'm in central CO and currently chasing mule deer on public and a couple of little private pieces. I've been hunting since I was a kid and this will be my third year in a saddle. Doubtful that I'll get my mulie buck from a saddle but I have a couple spots I've been giving it a go at. Not to fret tho, I drew my Kansas tag this year and hear there are some good creek beds on the 8000 acre farm I get to hunt. I also have an invite to hunt Indiana and its full of trees. Then there is the all but guaranteed 10+ points that will come from a month in south Alabama where I have been hunting from the saddle 95% of the last couple years. If I'm the worst on our team we can't do too bad! Good luck gents (and ladies...?)

The lady of the house here got her buck last night on public with a muzzleloader in the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 2 strikes, 3 minutes left of legal in the season. It was a small 3x4 mulie with brow tines, so it would be a 9 pointer for the contest. Surely I can do at least that good or I'll never hear the end of it from her. Now that she's done I can get back out tomorrow and try to stick one.011560BC-65A1-4F35-8C48-433B00F64FCB.jpeg

Last edited:
N. AL here. Rut is January time frame, so the past two years I’ve been able to contribute 13 pts. late. I still get after them starting mid OCT. Good luck to everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'm in central CO and currently chasing mule deer on public and a couple of little private pieces. I've been hunting since I was a kid and this will be my third year in a saddle. Doubtful that I'll get my mulie buck from a saddle but I have a couple spots I've been giving it a go at. Not to fret tho, I drew my Kansas tag this year and hear there are some good creek beds on the 8000 acre farm I get to hunt. I also have an invite to hunt Indiana and its full of trees. Then there is the all but guaranteed 10+ points that will come from a month in south Alabama where I have been hunting from the saddle 95% of the last couple years. If I'm the worst on our team we can't do too bad! Good luck gents (and ladies...?)

The lady of the house here got her buck last night on public with a muzzleloader in the bottom of the 9th, 2 outs, 2 strikes, 3 minutes left of legal in the season. It was a small 3x4 mulie with brow tines, so it would be a 9 pointer for the contest. Surely I can do at least that good or I'll never hear the end of it from her. Now that she's done I can get back out tomorrow and try to stick one.View attachment 71662
Congrats to her. If I had it my way I'd fill my last buck tag on the afternoon sit of the last day of the season every year.

If I had it my way I'd fill my last buck tag on the afternoon sit of the last day of the season every year.

Me too!

Just about what I did last year.
I hunted the whole season pretty much and I had a blast!
Last year was my first year saddle hunting and I wish I would've learned about it 30 years ago.
It fits me perfect!

Back