• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Technically it's a saddle kill!!

rutstrut23

For Missouri rifle season opening day on public land (about 2 miles deep) I opted to use only 2 sticks, no platform and 2 screw in pegs for the left and right foot. Super light and super quick set up. I saw quite a few big deer at my first set but just never had a good shot opportunity so I decided to find a different tree for the evening. I still hunted through an area till I found some really fresh sign with rubs and scrapes adjacent to some real thick bedding cover. The best spot to be in was on the ground so I just sat up against a tree. About 30 minutes before last light I heard a noise and looked up to see a small sapling shaking like crazy from a buck giving it the business. Then he turned and walked straight at me up to about 7 yards where he turned and got a 270 round in the shoulder. He tried to run but started snowplowing immediately and only ran about 20 yards then stopped and tried to stand, got a lil wobbly and was trying to run off but did a complete backflip instead and was done. Pretty crazy, I've never shot one that close with a rifle and I've never had one do a backflip. Thing is I was still wearing my saddle so im pretty sure this counts right?
Either way I can truly say the saddle played a part in this because if I was using a different stand system i know I wouldn't have moved around and found that spot the way I did.
9058a9f85c80566b2869c3d3bd2514bb.jpg
707dbabc3f5fdeff3e3b98dd805646a4.jpg

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

For Missouri rifle season opening day on public land (about 2 miles deep) I opted to use only 2 sticks, no platform and 2 screw in pegs for the left and right foot. Super light and super quick set up. I saw quite a few big deer at my first set but just never had a good shot opportunity so I decided to find a different tree for the evening. I still hunted through an area till I found some really fresh sign with rubs and scrapes adjacent to some real thick bedding cover. The best spot to be in was on the ground so I just sat up against a tree. About 30 minutes before last light I heard a noise and looked up to see a small sapling shaking like crazy from a buck giving it the business. Then he turned and walked straight at me up to about 7 yards where he turned and got a 270 round in the shoulder. He tried to run but started snowplowing immediately and only ran about 20 yards then stopped and tried to stand, got a lil wobbly and was trying to run off but did a complete backflip instead and was done. Pretty crazy, I've never shot one that close with a rifle and I've never had one do a backflip. Thing is I was still wearing my saddle so im pretty sure this counts right?
Either way I can truly say the saddle played a part in this because if I was using a different stand system i know I wouldn't have moved around and found that spot the way I did.
9058a9f85c80566b2869c3d3bd2514bb.jpg
707dbabc3f5fdeff3e3b98dd805646a4.jpg

Congrats, nice buck! I love the mass he's carrying.

Of course it counts as a saddle kill!
Congrats of a great deer!

On a side note I shot one making a scrape a few years back it ran forward in to the tree literally breaking its skull. I had never seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course it counts as a saddle kill!
Congrats of a great deer!

On a side note I shot one making a scrape a few years back it ran forward in to the tree literally breaking its skull. I had never seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I shot a doe years ago with my bow and it ran 40 yards at a dead run straight into a giant oak tree and dropped right there

It counts...just like my stalk while wearing my death diaper does...I was wearing it, and had been in a tree and saw the deer. They weren't coming to me so I had to go to them. It counts. One day I'd love to hunt Missouri just so that my .308 can eat. Not legal in Illinois...stupid state.

Certainly a saddle kill!

I dont know too many guys thatd hike with a climber on their back and not use it.

Congrats on that! He is a pretty cool buck, with a great story too.

Back