• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Termination knots? distel hitch tails to carabiner, Oplux/TRC

Mselby44

So my order from Eastern Woods Outdoors arrives tomorrow to do my DIY lineman’s rope and tether. Going with Sterling Oplux, Sterling 6mm TRC for distel hitch’s on both down to Petzl carabiners.

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tie Distel, Schwabisch and Prusik knots. My question is what is the safest way to tie my 2 distel hitch tails to my carabiner. I’ve read some use double or triple fishermans knot, anchor knot, poacher knots and a few others.

It be great to see or hear what others are using. Safety is always first but if that’s equal on all these less bulk would be ideal.

Thanks for any recommendations

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So my order from Eastern Woods Outdoors arrives tomorrow to do my DIY lineman’s rope and tether. Going with Sterling Oplux, Sterling 6mm TRC for distel hitch’s on both down to Petzl carabiners.

Plenty of YouTube videos on how to tie Distel, Schwabisch and Prusik knots. My question is what is the safest way to tie my 2 distel hitch tails to my carabiner. I’ve read some use double or triple fishermans knot, anchor knot, poacher knots and a few others.

It be great to see or hear what others are using. Safety is always first but if that’s equal on all these less bulk would be ideal.

Thanks for any recommendations

My vote is scaffold knot. It is stronger than the poacher's, is easier to untie, and I think it gives a better visual check that it is tied correctly. TRC knots down so small that you'll never notice the slightly larger size.

So I tried both the poacher and scaffold knots. I ended up going with the scaffold knot just because mentally staring at that extra 3rd turn (vs the 2 turns of the poacher) makes more sense and even if it’s only slightly stronger it’s more of a peace of mind thing.

Only thing I noticed was it shortened up my distel a little but once under tension it didn’t seem to matter much.

Oplux/TRC with the mini Kong tender is all very smooth compared to a basic prusik.

4930d329e1227e82f29e0d2a16e4e0e0.jpg

How long was the trc before you started tying knots for the carabiner. Looks great

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Poachers knot or scaffold knot. Scroll to the bottom of the link for the scaffold knot. If i remember correctly my 6mm TRC was 3.5 feet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-174358_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-174358_Gallery.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 141
How long was the trc before you started tying knots for the carabiner. Looks great

Thanks, I bought 7 feet and did 3.5 feet for each same as Yazoo Hntr.

Next decision for the distel is a 4 over 1 (left) vs 3 over 1 (right). I started with the 3 over 1 at ground level, did some simulated drops and had a small amount of slippage but it eventually grabbed the Oplux well. 3 over 1 slides a little better then the 4 over 1. However I had no slip with the 4 over 1 but it was more difficult to advance one handed with the tender as expected.

Ideally I can break in the brand new ropes and use the 3 over 1.

Not sure what others have used.
ed23acb84a98e7758017ded83b6f3570.jpg

Next decision for the distel is a 4 over 1 (left) vs 3 over 1 (right). I started with the 3 over 1 at ground level, did some simulated drops and had a small amount of slippage but it eventually grabbed the Oplux well. 3 over 1 slides a little better then the 4 over 1. However I had no slip with the 4 over 1 but it was more difficult to advance one handed with the tender as expected.

You need to get the plastic tender like I have in the picture. You can get it from Austin Kantola. I have no problem adjusting mine and it has 5 or 6 raps.

You need to get the plastic tender like I have in the picture. You can get it from Austin Kantola. I have no problem adjusting mine and it has 5 or 6 raps.

Nice thanks, I was wondering what that thing was. Seems ideal if you can get that many distel turns and still have one handed control.

Always buy a decent amount extra. There is nothing worse than having almost enough rope but not enough and then you have to sit a whole piece aside waiting for some use for it. Plus barely having enough makes it harder to tie and can compromise how much tag end you leave or the length of your hitch, etc. in the hopes of making it work.

Last edited:
Always buy a decent amount extra. There is nothing worse than having almost enough rope but not enough and then you have to sit a whole piece aside waiting for some use for it. Plus barely having enough makes it harder to tie and can compromise how much tag end you leave or the length of your hitch, etc. in the hopes of making it work.
Yeah thats the plan. I just got some oplux and a beal jammy from dano and looking into a better way.
Thanks

Yeah thats the plan. I just got some oplux and a beal jammy from dano and looking into a better way.
Thanks

You'll like the TRX on the Oplux. I believe it is what Sterling recommends, of course they make both ropes so they aren't likely to state that a Beal Jammy is better on Oplux! The TRC is similar in being both cut and flame resistant and grabs the Oplux very well.

Back