• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethed One and Steath

SteelRain15

Long time lurker and first time poster. Been saddle hunting for the last two years and this forum has been a wealth of information.

I have debated about posting this since I am sure it will bring out the wrath of the fan boys. I still remember the tempest in the tea pot that Eberhart’s comments caused.

So here goes. I ordered four Tethrd One sticks during their recent holiday sale. I tried ordering the precut Stealth Strips directly from the manufacturer but was informed they could only be purchased from Tethrd. Odd but okay.

For the last two years I have been using vet tape from Amazon. Dirt cheap but my sticks would need re-wrapping mid season. So I took the advice from this forum and decided to upgrade to the Stealth Strips for me new climbing sticks. Pricey but figured they would last forever.

The first thing I noticed was that the precut kits no longer came with the pieces for the stand offs. I checked the website and sure enough the description now says the pieces are for the tube only. So that is on me.

Putting these on turned out to be a massive headache. One of the sides was cut with appeared to be a dull blade which prevented the backing from coming off cleanly. Instead small spots of backing stayed stuck to the strips. The adhesive is so strong that it was incredibly difficult to get these little pieces off.

I thought maybe it was an one off issue. But nope all four of them did the same thing. I tried peeling off the back slow and fast. It didn’t matter how the same issue persisted. In addition the precuts were also too big resulting in an overlap.

It is a mess and wish I never went the Stealth Strip kits. But they are impossible to remove so I am stuck with them. I have attached some pictures illustrating the problems.

I wish I stuck with the cheap Amazon vet tape.

Attachments

• BBF093EE-4A77-4165-B27F-8BA4FA93DF68.jpeg
    BBF093EE-4A77-4165-B27F-8BA4FA93DF68.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 90
  • 76C70123-62E1-4D72-BEA6-1C7410218272.jpeg
    76C70123-62E1-4D72-BEA6-1C7410218272.jpeg
    52.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 7DC1EDED-6885-447D-9CF5-B320EF987EA9.jpeg
    7DC1EDED-6885-447D-9CF5-B320EF987EA9.jpeg
    125.4 KB · Views: 96
Interesting first post. You want the overlap.

I agree the backing sticking on the edge is a pain.

I used vet wrap around the tubes and then doubled it with camo hockey tape. For the standoffs and the rope button, I used steatlh strip rolls (not the tethrd one stick specific ones) and they are so far holding up well and have quieted the sticks down considerably.
One-Sticks.jpg

I used vet wrap around the tubes and then doubled it with camo hockey tape. For the standoffs and the rope button, I used steatlh strip rolls (not the tethrd one stick specific ones) and they are so far holding up well and have quieted the sticks down considerably.
View attachment 80524
Are those single step aiders?

The overlap is good. Keeps them on there. Just put it to the back.

You can remove the strips from a one stick, I did and here’s how it worked for me.

Peel off strip. Use a dry cloth and scrub as much of the sticky as you can applying force. This took me like 15 minutes. Then get a clean cloth and saturate with 90% isopropyl. Scrub and scrub and it’ll be gone soon.

Are those single step aiders?
Just the second stick up has the GM Climbing rated 24" loop on it. IT worked fine but apparantly is NOT recommended for the Tethrd One stick. The bottom aider is a three step EWO continuous loop aider made for the Onestick. I will NOT be using the GM climbing loop for these sticks anymore but have instead picked up a BWMG moveable aider made for the Tethred Onestick.

Stealth strips have their purpose but I much rather use camoform or coreless paracord to wrap something. They remove so easy, stealth strips are a complete pain to remove.

Stealth strips have their purpose but I much rather use camoform or coreless paracord to wrap something. They remove so easy, stealth strips are a complete pain to remove.

Lessoned learned! Just a little bummed that my expensive new sticks look like sh?t. I know, I know they are tools and will get messed up in the woods. But the first scratch on your new car always hurts the most.

just wanted to make sure anyone going that route knew that the precuts are not worth.

I get it - it was my first post. But until now I didn’t really have anything to add to the knowledge base.

Lessoned learned! Just a little bummed that my expensive new sticks look like sh?t. I know, I know they are tools and will get messed up in the woods. But the first scratch on your new car always hurts the most.

just wanted to make sure anyone going that route knew that the precuts are not worth.

I get it - it was my first post. But until now I didn’t really have anything to add to the knowledge base.

You can get the stealth strips off (see my post above)....it's just not easy to do.

BTW, for those interested in the moveable aider for the Tethrd One-Stick from BWMG, its called the "GC-Single"
EDIT: I pasted the wrong link for the aider I got from BWMG, I use the GC-Single NOT the one I originally referenced below sorry!!!

This: https://www.backwoodsmobilegear.com/shop-online/gc-single

Not this:
https://www.backwoodsmobilegear.com/shop-online/gc-one

The three step continuous loop aider I use from EWO is: https://doublesteps.com/product/sewn-aider-with-continuous-loops-no-doublestep/

Last edited:
They look good to me… sometimes they don’t peel off perfectly, but it’s no big deal. Just line it up and slowly put it on, and overlap on the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look good to me… sometimes they don’t peel off perfectly, but it’s no big deal. Just line it up and slowly put it on, and overlap on the backside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tips are:

don't peel a huge piece of stealth strip off all at once, for these sticks....i exposed the long edge got it stuck on there nicely and then peeled more back as i advanced....it becomes a crazy mess that sticks to itself otherwise

around the cleat thing for the rope, i pushed it under with a credit card....it actually rolled right on off the stealth strips backer this way

My tips are:

don't peel a huge piece of stealth strip off all at once, for these sticks....i exposed the long edge got it stuck on there nicely and then peeled more back as i advanced....it becomes a crazy mess that sticks to itself otherwise

around the cleat thing for the rope, i pushed it under with a credit card....it actually rolled right on off the stealth strips backer this way

while I agree, it is frustratingly difficult to pick off the remaining pieces of tape. It is like dealing with a tar baby since that adhesive sticks to EVERYTHING it touches.

I tried using the tip of a knife. Bad idea since the adhesive immediately stuck to the knife and had to peel the strips of the knife and then spend 10 minutes with Goo Gone trying to remove the adhesive.

Again this only happen on the side with a fairly ragged cut edge. Perhaps the roll of Stealth Strip doesn’t have this problem ‍♂️

Use a pick to get the bits of paper off. I put stealth strip down the gunwales of a 16ft canoe...a climbing stick shouldn't be that difficult

Back