• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tether Question

Longbowwally

SH Member
Can anyone think of a safety reason not to use the HSS linesman belt(pic below) as a tether(with one carabiner of course lol)? I like it because of its easy adjustability with the buckle - instead of a prussic or ropeman - and the loop is large enough to thread the carabiner end though it just like a 'normal' tether - but would appreciate some input from you more 'technical' guys in case there is some safety issue I'm not aware of....Thanks for the comments!

HSSlinesmansbelt.jpg

The only info I can find on the HSS site is the carabiners are rated to 3000 lbs.....I feel like the strap is fine to use as a tether since, I would assume, a linesman belt has to be rated to some degree to handle a fall but I figured someone on here might know something more.....Lots of knowledgeable folks on this site so I'm hoping someone will help me out....

I would be more worried about the buckle for adjustment. No thanks. I’ll take a regular tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give them a call. It’s probably seat belt webbing which is usually in the area if 7k pounds. It should work fine I would think

Spencer

I would be more worried about the buckle for adjustment. No thanks. I’ll take a regular tether.

Believe it or not this is my favorite LB - the buckle works real well and adjusts easily and safely - that is why I was wondering about using it for a tether...Might have seemed like a weird idea to use it as a tether but it actually works pretty good in my initial testing just not sure of its strength...Thanks for your opinion!

Believe it or not this is my favorite LB - the buckle works real well and adjusts easily and safely - that is why I was wondering about using it for a tether...Might have seemed like a weird idea to use it as a tether but it actually works pretty good in my initial testing just not sure of its strength...Thanks for your opinion!

Is the buckle fall rated?

Is the buckle fall rated?

I don't really know - its sold as a linesman belt so I'm assuming it is but was hoping someone here could provide more info than I have found. If no one here knows more about it then I may give HSS a call next week just to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else....

I wouldn’t assume that a linesman is fall rated, the material sure looks fine, and the buckle is probably ok if it’s what I am imagining but if the stitching is not up to standards then maybe it isn’t. That said, it doesn’t look like HSS publishes load ratings for their ropes either. Either way, test it thoroughly low to the ground

Note that the item you are looking at states it should be used with a full body harness or vest. Usually, those type straps have folds sewn in for dispensing shock upon a fall. Kind of like an accordion type expansion. They are not intended to maintain a static load. If it does have folds sewn in, I’m not sure how long they would last under static load before they start popping and giving you at minimum a scare. Just a thought.

Note that the item you are looking at states it should be used with a full body harness or vest. Usually, those type straps have folds sewn in for dispensing shock upon a fall. Kind of like an accordion type expansion. They are not intended to maintain a static load. If it does have folds sewn in, I’m not sure how long they would last under static load before they start popping and giving you at minimum a scare. Just a thought.
I did notice that and you make a good point on that....Thanks!

I’m pretty sure lineman’s belts don’t have a fall rating to them. They are always meant to be under load holding your weight. Now if your saddle platform were to cut out while applying side pressure who knows what the static fall rating is, may not even have one. IMO I would just use a rated tether and always expect the worse to happen.

I've wondered if there is a need to use something like that as a back up to the tether just in case the tether got cut or carabiner failed for any reason. I know you need to inspect your equipment, but you just never know what could happen

Good info from all.....I think the bottom Line for me, after hearing comments and further contemplation, is I'm going to stick with a rated tether for peace of mind if nothing else...Thanks for all the input....

I've wondered if there is a need to use something like that as a back up to the tether just in case the tether got cut or carabiner failed for any reason. I know you need to inspect your equipment, but you just never know what could happen

Having a back up to tether seems to be a weird sensitive topic on the forum. Your pretty much hanging on your last line of defense for a fall. I made an amsteel jumper that is spliced into both lineman’s loops on my saddle. It weighs nothing and I strap on a second tree rope as a back up. Just gives me peace of mind.

Having a back up to tether seems to be a weird sensitive topic on the forum. Your pretty much hanging on your last line of defense for a fall. I made an amsteel jumper that is spliced into both lineman’s loops on my saddle. It weighs nothing and I strap on a second tree rope as a back up. Just gives me peace of mind.

I have tinkered with something very similar...

I know what you mean and think some type of backup is a good idea...

Back