• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd ESS D-Ring noise

Treehopper2

SH Member
I have been thinking of a way to silence the noise on the ESS D-Rings.

I know people have tried stealth strips but that causes problems with the rings working correctly.

I have an idea to use soft fabric that will slide along the rings and either scrunch up or coil out depending on the direction the bridge goes.

I will try to get something put together in the coming week. I’m sure these DIY guys with machines can make something far better than I can and hopefully the picture gives a better explanation of what I’m talking about.
174784fccc86d8ce992d6267161e7225.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all of the videos/pictures I have seen including the ones on Eberhart Outdoors and ones of the reviews of the ESS, not one is like the one you drew with the bridge connection not being centered on the D-ring. Given the opposing forces of the webbing going through the D-ring, the bridge connection can't be anywhere but 180 degrees opposite of the webbing. Eberhart says that is is a "big deal" to have the bridge slide, but I have yet to see where the bridge can be anywhere but centered, especially if it is weighted.

I also haven't heard that stealth strips or hockey tape interferes with the operation of the D-ring given the connection always being centered. What problems are you referring to?

Of all of the videos/pictures I have seen including the ones on Eberhart Outdoors and ones of the reviews of the ESS, not one is like the one you drew with the bridge connection not being centered on the D-ring. Given the opposing forces of the webbing going through the D-ring, the bridge connection can't be anywhere but 180 degrees opposite of the webbing. Eberhart says that is is a "big deal" to have the bridge slide, but I have yet to see where the bridge can be anywhere but centered, especially if it is weighted.

I also haven't heard that stealth strips or hockey tape interferes with the operation of the D-ring given the connection always being centered. What problems are you referring to?

What I’m working on cuts down on metal to metal contact of the D-Rings and as for the stealth strips covering D-Rings that won’t let the bridge move as freely.
As for position of the bridge in the picture that’s just to show the general idea of what I’m thinking.

What about tape that is similar/same as amsteel (ultra high molecular weight)? Thin, strong, slick, and cheap.

It looks rough, but I put a strip of stealth strips on the tip/outside part of the rings. Then pieced stealth strips everywhere else. The pics were mainly for the new bridge but should help explain what I mean. I’ve hunted out of it twice and never had any noise. Bridge still slides like it should by just putting the SS on the outside.

Attachments

• EF1EF41A-D76B-485D-8F10-1574894B7E27.jpeg
    EF1EF41A-D76B-485D-8F10-1574894B7E27.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 195
  • D3CF33BE-B3E0-4346-8F1D-212D8E0C1C73.jpeg
    D3CF33BE-B3E0-4346-8F1D-212D8E0C1C73.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 192
When do these make noise? First time I used mine I walked in with them loose, and learned a lesson, as I sounded like I was trying to smuggle wind chimes, but once in the stand I haven't had issues. Any details would be awesome, as I don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

What metal to metal contact are people referring to? Im looking at either a recon or ESS for next saddle. I keep hearing about ESS noise. But arent the D ring on opposite side? I see only 3 metal parts which are the D ring, leg strap G hooks, and belt buckle. I cant comprehends how these parts would clink each other unless you are removing the saddle from a pack and dont mind your noise discipline while putting saddle on.

I haven’t had any issues with noise with my ESS except the first time I walked into a location with it. The buckle on the bridge kept hitting the D Ring on my right side.

I now cinch my bridge over to the left to the loop your lineman’s connects to with a small Nite Ize gear tie. No noise since then.

The rings can hit each other and other metal parts when walking in and climbing. The made a racket on my climbing sticks the first climb. I used 2 D Clips on the waist belt and just lift the rings and the bridge into those while walking and climbing. No noise that I can find.

What I’m working on cuts down on metal to metal contact of the D-Rings and as for the stealth strips covering D-Rings that won’t let the bridge move as freely.

When at height, the bridge doesn't move freely from its centered position on the D-ring. You would think if that function was such a big deal, it would have been highlighted in the ESS video. As such, you could cover the D-ring with stealth strips or hockey tape except for the center part without interfering with the bridge function.

Now if you are trying to address a noise concern when walking in or climbing, there was a review in which the gentleman pulled the D-rings to the rear with the leg loops (making the leg loops not function as leg loops anymore.....).

If you used stealth strips or hockey tape on the D-rings except for where the bridge connects at the center, the rings couldn't hit each other or other metal parts when walking in or climbing to make any noise. I see no reason for the bridge to slide at any time.

Well I worked on silencing the ESS more today and this what I came up with.
It actually works pretty good just handling the saddle putting it on and walking around with it on but tomorrow will be the real test in the tree.
But so far it lets the bridge move freely so that’s what I was trying to do while keeping the metal to metal contact down on like a step,carabiner,etc.
3c0eeb4d1a4ce617cda63c7effc1bf6d.jpg
b086297b7901d51aa23467ba3b1eb14f.jpg

Well I hunted this morning with the covers over the D-Rings and to me it’s a big improvement.
I no longer have to worry about them hitting anything and making noise and I could put it on at the base of the
d7647d844d687c1efdfd6e8c855b1bf4.jpg

tree now if I wanted.
I have had a bunch of saddles and to me the comfort of the ESS is hard to beat so I wanted to make some improvements to make it work for me and after a few modifications it’s a great setup I feel now.
One last thing I wanted to mention to the guys that use the ESS I use the clips to hold the bottom panel up for walking different than the videos I’ve seen describing how to do it.
I run the clips on the top Panel as shown in the pictures below and just clip the bottom panel in when walking. Once I’m ready to hunt i just lift the lower panel out of the clips and set down.
Nothing wrong with how the guy’s I’ve seen in the videos do it I just prefer this way.

Reactions: DGF
I really want one of these saddles to try ,I'm gonna have to sell some gear I reckon

You should notify John and Tethrd of your solution. Perhaps obtain a royalty for every ESS sold! They could place a Tethrd logo right in the middle of that thing! :)

You should notify John and Tethrd of your solution. Perhaps obtain a royalty for every ESS sold! They could place a Tethrd logo right in the middle of that thing! :)

The two panel sling going all the way back to the Anderson sling is a great design and for comfort will be hard to ever improve on but guys have made small feature changes to improve it over the years.
Imo the D-Rings Tethrd and John have added are a great improvement on how they let the two panels payout and not bind up within the D-ring itself.
Another added benefit of this D-ring design comes with how it handles the torque applied by a bridge. From what I have seen the bridge doesn’t have a Hugh range of adjustment like John speaks of in the ESS video but there is movement between adjustments I tried not to hinder with covering up the D-rings.
Like I said earlier it’s a great comfortable design and the D-Rings play a part in that but for me that much raw metal in a hunting situation will not work.
Hopefully Tethrd takes my general idea and puts their spin on it to help with the possible noise issue.
Either way I’m happy with how it turned out it solved my problem and made a already great saddle even better.

The more and more time I put in the tree with the ESS the more I think the 2 panel design is by far the most comfortable.
I’m glad I didn’t totally give up on it and gave it another try.

Back