• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tethrd mantis or aero Hunter flex? Which ones better

Skrause5

So I just ordered the tethrd mantis today really feel I will like it. Only hunt in public land so my climber isn't doing the job. Most of the reason why I picked tethrd over aero hunter is the two to three weeks wait period over 8 week wait period for aero. But feel like I may have made a mistake. Your opinion which one is better.

I would agree with this.
Honestly that's what I was afraid of. I was looking at videos of them both. And I was really gravitating towards the flex but it's 8 to 10 week wait. But is that much better. The tethrd isn't terrible I hope

A little story. A hunting buddy asked me about saddles. I told him I had a Mantis and a Kestrel (not a flex) that he could try out to see which one he liked better. He ask why I had two and asked me to sell him one. I love my Kestrel and I have a Kite on order so I said if he wants it I would sell him the Mantis. We went out in the woods so he could try them out, he tried the Mantis first and loved it. I said ok try the Kestrel, he said no, if I try it and like it better I will have to wait 8-10 weeks for it, I will take the Mantis now.

Im in the same boat, gravitating to the flex. Just a tad bit concerned about the posts of the cordura tearing away from the webbing and the weird rubber stuff on the inside coming off...

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Im in the same boat, gravitating to the flex. Just a tad bit concerned about the posts of the cordura tearing away from the webbing and the weird rubber stuff on the inside coming off...

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

I was concerned at first when I got mine. Been hunting out of it a good bit the season and haven’t had any issues. I’m pretty dang confident in it at this point.

I had a kestrel and then got a mantis. Used the kestrel all season. Sold the mantis, got a flex, and then sold the kestrel. The flex wasn’t that much better than the kestrel, just a few small things that made me like it more.
I like them both much more than the mantis and trophyline, but that is my personal preference/opinion. I’m sure many will say the opposite.

Flex for me, had a Mantis and returned it after two days. Nothing wrong with the Mantis, Flex is just more comfortable for me and the shape of my rear end... Personal preference, as stated many times before.

First year in the saddle and loving it. I have the mantis and flex. I like both. I will use the mantis for early season when its hot. Just less material. I like comfort of the flex. Not saying I am uncomfortable in the mantis, just a little more in the flex. The flex reminds me of a quality RCH. Very well built and they did away with the rubber coating that was wearing. If I walked a long ways wearing the saddle every time I hunted I would opt for the mantis. It wears better IMO. I would suggest the micro fit adjusters for the mantis. Im glad I have both but either should suit your needs.

First year in the saddle and loving it. I have the mantis and flex. I like both. I will use the mantis for early season when its hot. Just less material. I like comfort of the flex. Not saying I am uncomfortable in the mantis, just a little more in the flex. The flex reminds me of a quality RCH. Very well built and they did away with the rubber coating that was wearing. If I walked a long ways wearing the saddle every time I hunted I would opt for the mantis. It wears better IMO. I would suggest the micro fit adjusters for the mantis. Im glad I have both but either should suit your needs.
I am for sure going to buy the flex when it's the off-season. Just wish there were more options that were of the quality of tethrd or aero hunter.

I am for sure going to buy the flex when it's the off-season. Just wish there were more options that were of the quality of tethrd or aero hunter.
Welcome to saddle hunting... I wouldn't rule out the yarak, kestrel, kite or TL. I would think your gonna see, or at least hear about some new saddles hitting the market in the off season.You should feel lucky you have few to choose from. Some the guys here have been DIYing all of the saddle gear for years with no choices except the ideas their heads and they post it for all us newbs to learn from. Its a good day to be a saddle hunter for sure. Happy hunting

I have both and I like them both equally as much. Comfort wise the Flexs wins barely. The Mantis wins to me on packability and wearing it in on the way in and out. I think getting the right size is crucial.

The mantis is a great saddle. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you have the cash sitting around you could always order the flex and sell whatever one you dont want in the classifieds.

I used my mantis for 2 seasons and had no problem. I just sold it for more unnecessary ice fishing gear. I'll most likely buy a new one or wait to see what they release in the spring. My favorite part about the mantis is how it doesn't even feel like you are wearing it while walking. It's great to cover ground in.

I have a Flex and a Kestrel. I use the Kestrel for when the leaves are on a tree and the Flex when the leaves are gone because it is in Predator fall gray camo. Thinking about getting a Kite that's how much I like the Areohunter saddles. I tried a Mantis but it wasn't as comfortable for me . It is well made but It kept riding up on me.

Newbie saddle hunter here and I got a Mantis for this season.

There's a chance that if you bought the Flex you would still be asking yourself the same question if you should've gotten the Mantis instead. I think that's pretty normal especially when we're paying hundreds of dollars for something we couldn't try before buying so that lingering what if always remains.

The Mantis is a great saddle and so if anything, think of it like a beater first car. Put your time in it as much as you can, get comfortable being in a saddle for hours at a time and more than anything practice shots from your saddle at height because it's a unique experience and different than shooting on the ground.

Then come off season, you can buy a Flex from the classifieds here and you'll be able to make a proper comparison since you will have already spent time in your Mantis.

As a tip when dialing in your Mantis, I've found that hooking the leg straps to the attachment loops at the bottom off the saddle is more comfortable than hooking the leg straps to loops on the waistbelt.

^ This

There’s always the question of did I make the right choice. Stick it out with the Mantis IMHO. It really is a nice saddle. The “best” only exists person to person.

-Chuck

Back