• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

tethrd one stick 2.0 vs tree ninja 20 inch carbons?

raisins

SH Member
The grape vine (i.e. @enkriss ) says that the 2022 tethrd one sticks will do away with the glue and other issues. I'm definitely getting either these or the tree ninja 20 inch sticks.

Regardless of which I choose, I'll get 4 and put a 3 step aider on the bottom one and one step aider on all others.

So, which would you choose and why? Tethrd one stick without the glue issue (I hear a new step attachment method that doesn't use glue) with the one stick weighing a pound OR the tree ninjas that are carbon with polymer steps and weigh 1.2 pounds each? The tree ninjas look like they can take a carry as you go aider without any fuss (just a webbing loop like usual), which is a plus because I prefer a carry as you go aider.

I'm hoping folks that know more about both can help me make up my mind so that when the new one sticks drop I can make a better decision.

Last edited:
Any idea when new tetherd 1s are getting released or previewed?... I'm struggling with either going the EWO one stick route or possibly going tethrd 1s. I already rappel and the one stick is sooooo versatile but just the weight of the one stick and the attachment make them seem soo user friendly... I really gotta get to a meet up this spring.

Do the new one sticks have the same attachment method?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t heard of any problems with the TN sticks.

They don’t stack quite as compactly as the ONE sticks.

The TN steps have some flex but are likely more comfortable footing than the Tethrd steps with that spike. More surface area for sure.

Stand-off distance is about the same

The Tethrd cleat and rope is nifty, not necessarily a game changer for me.

TN demonstrates how their sticks often stick to the tree with a quick downward slide before strapping them, so there’s that.

Both may need some wear in on the standoff teeth, but overall TN don’t require silencing. They won’t creek.

Will new ONE sticks be 1lb?

Will carbon stand the test of time?

TN warranty is 3yrs...Tethrd 1

Ernie wrote me they had a fix for the oldsticks that they were going to implement...that never happened. My buyer confidence eroded.

I love my tethered one sticks so much I sold my LCWG doubles steps, and used the funds to buy a .5 lol, I haven't had any issues with my one sticks but if the 2.0 is somehow even better I would definitely recommend them.

I had the TN sticks and sent them back. Very small stand off and a lot of flex. I’m 160# and felt like I was going to break them. If Tethrd fixes their issues or TN theirs, you have some solid choices.

I love my tethered one sticks so much I sold my LCWG doubles steps, and used the funds to buy a .5 lol, I haven't had any issues with my one sticks but if the 2.0 is somehow even better I would definitely recommend them.

How are you packing them with the .5?

Single stack or split?
Sideways or vertical?
Bungeed on? Gear ties?
Attached to bag or attached to stand?

Thanks.

@raisins, this reminds me to ention: TN sticks may not be as compact, but stack in-line. The Tethrd sticks are staggered. You may have a preference.

I had the TN sticks and sent them back. Very small stand off and a lot of flex. I’m 160# and felt like I was going to break them. If Tethrd fixes their issues or TN theirs, you have some solid choices.

I think I recall the tree ninja channel in the back of the step was oversized at first and that was changed so that the step can't pivot on the post as much.

I used lonewolf sticks for years. Then i got the one sticks. I love one tethrd on sticks. The weight is excellent, i like the rope and the ease of attachment. Not sure how long the rope will actually last. I have not attached an aider.

Greg Staggs did a comprehensive review of some of the top tier sticks and one of my take aways was how noisy the ninja sticks were. Additionally the standoffs made for very little foot room while standing on the steps.

I used lonewolf sticks for years. Then i got the one sticks. I love one tethrd on sticks. The weight is excellent, i like the rope and the ease of attachment. Not sure how long the rope will actually last. I have not attached an aider.

amsteel is surprisingly durable, unless that cleat thing cuts at it....they might be shipping with generic amsteel though (chinese winch cable)

Greg Staggs did a comprehensive review of some of the top tier sticks and one of my take aways was how noisy the ninja sticks were. Additionally the standoffs made for very little foot room while standing on the steps.

thanks, i'll watch this....i'd expect carbon to quiet....you didn't mean the tethrd ones are noisy? just checking because those are famously loud....did watch something where they said the loctite spray in foam is lighter than the rest.....if i shoot foam inside them, i'll check it for density/weight addition using an empty toilet paper roll that i figure out the volume of and transfer that to one stick tube dimensions

thanks, i'll watch this....i'd expect carbon to quiet....you didn't mean the tethrd ones are noisy? just checking because those are famously loud....did watch something where they said the loctite spray in foam is lighter than the rest.....if i shoot foam inside them, i'll check it for density/weight addition using an empty toilet paper roll that i figure out the volume of and transfer that to one stick tube dimensions
From what others have said what I can personally say is that the C1 sticks are really quiet.

I have 4 20 inch C1s and have used 3 Tethrd Ones at our Michigan meet-up last May.

Overall
I love my C1s and if I had to buy sticks again this is likely where I would end up. I'm 5' 10" and 265, there is certainly some flex in the steps, but after talking with TN and reading the 3rd party report I'm confident in them. I will note these are Gen 2 sticks and those did address the squeaking issue, even being my size, I've not heard them squeak once. TN has a 3-year warranty and Tethrd has 1 year. Honestly though, I think both companies would take care of you as best they could even outside of the warranty. I've not used TNs warranty but have used Tethrd's once for a platform and they shipped me a new one no questions asked and included a label in the box to return the old one.

Aiders
I'm not as sold on the cable aiders as I want to be in the TNs. They hang a little close to the tree and sometimes it's a pain, especially in my lacrosse rubber boots to get my foot in them. I am considering dropping the cable aiders from 3 of them, and just running it on the bottom stick. If you used a standard amsteel aider I think you would be fine on either stick, but you lose some of sleekness of the cable aiders.

Weight
While the TNs are light, I didn't think they had that same WOW factor as when you pick them up compared to the One. With the cable aider and daisy chain, I think they come out to 1.51 on my scale. Light for sure, but not 15.9 ounces. It is much closer if you pull the cable aider out of the TN, then it's 1.2 vs .98. On the flip side the extra weight does get you a little more, the TNs have an extra 1" per step which might matter to those would are counting inches :tearsofjoy:.

Attachment Method
As far as attachment methods I still like using a trucker hitch around a button with my daisy chains. It's rock solid, quick and you get nearly 0 stick sag. Since I don't own the One's I only got to use the unique attachment method a half dozen times. I was slow and clunky with it, but if you owned them I'm sure you would get really quick with it and eventually be faster than the trucker hitch. I don't recall how much stick sag there was with them.

Noise
The C1s are QUIET out of the box, with no modification there likely is no other stick that compares. If you don't want to do a ton, or any, extra work to your sticks to silence them these are where you need to go. I have 2 tiny .5 x 1-inch pieces of stealth strips on each where the stick rests when stacked against the standoff, that's it. If you do bump the sticks together it's very much a quiet thud, and it's true if you bump the steps and standoffs it sounds like rattling antlers.

Bone stock the One sticks are LOUD, high pitched ting when bumped together and it almost echos. From the videos I've seen and talked with folks significant improvements are made when you stealth strip and foam the tubes, but there is a decent cost and time associated with that.

Foot Room
People always talk about foot room on trees, and yeah there is a definate difference between EWO and everyone else, honestly though, unless it's a 1 stick with a platform on top I think foot clearence to the tree is overrated. How long are you standing on that stick when you're climbing up with multiples, 1 maybe 2 minutes tops? Just stand duck footed and be done with it. I didn't have issues with either of these sticks.

Conclusion
I've tried a lot of sticks, not as many as some out there, but a decent amount. I think that when the newer variation of the One's come out, if everything lines up as they claim it will, these will be two of the best, if not the two best, stick sets on the market.

Last edited:

I hadn't seen that video. Thanks for sharing.

It's worth noting, in that same video, Greg's boy says the standoffs are essentially the same as the Tethrd sticks. So, for this discussion, pointing out they BOTH have slight standoff separation is probably the most accurate description.

Actually, when you look at both sticks on the table (9:40), it's clear that the Tethrd sticks only clear the same distance as the TN sticks at the farthest points of the steps. So, in a sense, the TN have a more usable standoff distance. Greg comments on this at 11:25, saying the Tethrd's actually have a shorter standoff distance.

The creeking TN is worth noting. Seemed the upper stick was significantly creekier. I have heard that the standoffs need to wear in or they can sometimes creek. In the video Greg was attributing the noise to the step and flex, first I've heard or seen it quite like that.

Also worth noting is that the Tethrd sticks are noisy when weighted, and of course the greater metal-metal noise potential.

The creeking TN is worth noting. Seemed the upper stick was significantly creekier. I have heard that the standoffs need to wear in or they can sometimes creek. In the video Greg was attributing the noise to the step and flex, first I've heard or seen it quite like that.

The creaking has been eliminated with the Gen2 sticks. I've not seen anyone else post anything recently about the sticks making noise.

I have 4 20 inch C1s and have used 3 Tethrd Ones at our Michigan meet-up last May.

Overall

I love my C1s and if I had to buy sticks again this is likely where I would end up. I'm 5' 10" and 265, there is certainly some flex in the steps, but after talking with TN and reading the 3rd party report I'm confident in them. I will note these are Gen 2 sticks and those did address the squeaking issue, even being my size, I've not heard them squeak once. TN has a 3-year warranty and Tethrd has 1 year. Honestly though, I think both companies would take care of you as best they could even outside of the warranty. I've not used TNs warranty but have used Tethrd's once for a platform and they shipped me a new one no questions asked and included a label in the box to return the old one.

Aiders

I'm not as sold on the cable aiders as I want to be. They hang a little close to the tree and sometimes it's a pain, especially in my lacrosse rubber boots to get my foot in them. I am considering dropping the cable aiders from 3 of them, and just running it on the bottom stick.

Weight
While the TNs are light, I didn't think they had that same WOW factor as when you pick them up compared to the One. With the cable aider and daisy chain, I think they come out to 1.51 on my scale. Light for sure, but not 15.9 ounces. It is much closer if you pull the cable aider out of the TN, then it's 1.2 vs .98. On the flip side the extra weight does get you a little more, the TNs have an extra 1" per step which might matter to those would are counting inches :tearsofjoy:.

Attachment Method
As far as attachment methods I still like using a trucker hitch around a button with my daisy chains. It's rock solid, quick and you get nearly 0 stick sag. Since I don't own the One's I only got to use the unique attachment method a half dozen times. I was slow and clunky with it, but if you owned them I'm sure you would get really quick with it and eventually be faster than the trucker hitch. I don't recall how much stick sag there was with them.

Noise
The C1s are QUIET out of the box, with no modification there likely is no other stick that compares. If you don't want to do a ton, or any, extra work to your sticks to silence them these are where you need to go. I have 2 tiny .5 x 1-inch pieces of stealth strips on each where the stick rests when stacked against the standoff, that's it. If you do bump the sticks together it's very much a quiet thud, and it's true if you bump the steps and standoffs it sounds like rattling antlers.

Bone stock the One sticks are LOUD, high pitched ting when bumped together and it almost echos. From the videos I've seen and talked with folks significant improvements are made when you stealth strip and foam the tubes, but there is a decent cost and time associated with that.

Foot Room
People always talk about foot room on trees, and yeah there is a definate difference between EWO and everyone else, honestly though, unless it's a 1 stick with a platform on top I think foot clearence to the tree is overrated. How long are you standing on that stick when you're climbing up with multiples, 1 maybe 2 minutes tops? Just stand duck footed and be done with it. I didn't have issues with either of these sticks.

Conclusion
I've tried a lot of sticks, not as many as some out there, but a decent amount. I think that when the newer variation of the One's come out, if everything lines up as they claim it will, these will be two of the best, if not the two best, stick sets on the market.

Thanks for sharing. Great comparison.

Overall

Aiders
I'm not as sold on the cable aiders as I want to be in the TNs. They hang a little close to the tree and sometimes it's a pain, especially in my lacrosse rubber boots to get my foot in them. I am considering dropping the cable aiders from 3 of them, and just running it on the bottom stick. If you used a standard amsteel aider I think you would be fine on either stick, but you lose some of sleekness of the cable aiders.

Weight

Attachment Method

Noise

Foot Room

Conclusion

This is really helpful, thanks for writing it up.

I don't plan on using the cable aiders, so it seems like the TNs are even or better at everything except weight. I'm getting these to save weight and will get 4 of them, so I'm not sure if 4 vs. 4.8 lbs will matter. But I walk far enough, up hills, that I do notice if my pack is a pound or 2 heavier.

My current system of 12 steps with daisy chains is also 4.8 lbs, but it is twice as slow as using 4 sticks with aiders.

I'm like you and not super worried about step size and distance from tree. I have big feet, but just lean back using the lineman's and act like the steps are little bumps on the tree that the lanyard leverages me into. I don't stand up on the sticks.

Last edited:
Back