• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Tethrd One Stick Gen 3's - Season review so far

GVDocHoliday

I've never had a good thing to say about Tethrd. I've even cracked wise quite a bit at their product release issues and recalls and non-recalls that should have been.

For some reason however, as soon as they released the Gen3's, I went and purchased 4 of them. Figured, I gotta at least give them the old college try. If I didn't like them, I'd probably be able to turn them over for what I paid for them and not be out anything.

Things I was optimistic about...the beveled teeth on the step/standoff that is a main awesome point of my beloved Beast Sticks. That little feature should be standard on all climbing stick standoffs. Perhaps it's patented? I dunno. I just know that it really makes those sticks bite into the tree rock solid with no movement.
Other thing, the rope cleat with amsteel as an OEM option. Add that into the mix and the overall cost of the stick doesn't seem too far out of the norm...especially considering it's titanium. Oh yeah, the nifty little rope button so that the rope can be wrapped up neatly in just a few seconds.

I like that I can get 2 sticks installed from the ground, the hang the other 2(connected together) on the side of my saddle and remove the stick with a simple push of the thumb. Needless to say they climb quickly. They're as solid and stable as my Beast Sticks for roughly half the weight. I'd love to see someone come out with that rope cleat for 1" tubing. I'd put them on my Beast Sticks in a second.

They pack up quickly as well. Only thing I'm having an issue with is the way they stagger stack. It's hard to get them to lay flat the way I'd like them to on my pack.

With my hunting gear weighing me down, I hit about 235 when climbing. Mine are still rock solid. There's been no popping, no wobbling, etc. I've used these sticks for 15 climbs this year, red oak, white oak, red pine, poplar, red maple, tamarack...every tree they've dug in deep and solid. The tread on the steps is nice and aggressive...maybe too aggressive, my boot soles will tell that tale...but I've been able to get some leans in and my boots haven't slipped off them yet. I use the top step as my platform as I don't like putting up anything more than necessary...I find it tolerable...would love to see a stick sold with an XL step....would be interested to see how big a top step that could be made with an extra half lb added.

I'm really impressed. I went in biased against these and expected to send them packing after a climb or 2...but they've really grown on me. I'll probably keep them. I haven't even used my Beast Sticks yet this year!! It'll be interesting to see how they do this winter when it's in the teens.

I can't say I'd recommend them yet...but if they can get me through January without popping or the steps getting wobbly...then I'd have to recommend them. They're just so light to the point where it's very noticeable weight you'd be cutting.

Yeah, I can echo your sentiments. I was very very skeptical, but so far not one single complaint. All companies can have issues. As long as Summit has been making stands they have a recall on their latest as well.

Tethrd offered full refunds and or testing and return if they passed. That helped me buy this new version with confidence that they would stand behind it if something went wrong and that’s all I ask.

I still feel they mishandled the failures of the OG Predator platform, but maybe they have matured a bit since then.

I couldn’t be happier with these new sticks though.

I've probably been the biggest critic, but if these hold up for everyone I'll try next year with them. I've been diving into mtn laurel good this year and the snag factor with the beast sticks is rage inducing

Ive been having great luck with them as well, the weight is phenomenal. I thought my beast were great but between weight and all the other features the beast have only been for backup this season

How is the noise with the newer sticks? The OG seemed to be a bit loud.

No complaints at all with mine… my go to sticks right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m going to jump on this wagon train and agree with pretty much everything that’s already been said. I’ve never been a Tethrd fan either but these Gen3 sticks are awesome. I bought five of them and I have four Gen2 that sit on ready reserve should I need to employ them (they don’t scare me).

I ordered 3 this morning. They did not say they were back ordered, anyone know the current delivery time? I am also looking for a 2 step aider for the first sick - recommendations?

I will uses these along with my full length Beast Sticks, I really like the weight reduction and the strapping design looks promising.

Are a lot of you changing out factory ropes? If so what are you going to?

Amsteel.

2E05944D-7D06-467F-BAC4-FD8E22757026.jpeg

^^^^Nice. Is that Amsteel the 7/64 or 1/8"? Also, are you girth hitching each stick after the criss-cross pattern?

Thanks Enkriss, I just ordered. Are you using an Aider, if so, what kind?

Back